ADVERTISEMENT

BOYS: Conference 36 - Consolation/Championship

It's good to see Lee finally have a 3rd player step (Manny Johnson) - it's been the George/Vaughan show all season.

If I remember correctly, the last time Lee played Martinsville; Lee lost. It was a short handed Martinsville team. They were missing their most versatile player, Jordan Turner.

Ant - did you see any of the Lee/Martinsville games back in the 80s?

As a neutral observer who just wanted to see some good basketball I got my money's worth tonight. Packed gym that was a tad warm and rocking from start to finish.

The Draft win over Page was actually a better game than it sounds. As reported above, the Panthers actually led at halftime. The Cougars' Jonathon White came alive in the second half and drained either five or six triples in what seemed like about 5 minutes of clock time and suddenly a great game turned into a runaway. I was also impressed with the hustle of Jon Paul Rader for the Draft. I am not sure why it is that Page cannot crack the code against the Cougars because match-up wise, you would think they would have the quickness to handle them, since some other area schools did. Definitely a fast-paced intense game with some fierce battles under the boards.

As for the Lee win, that 11-0 run that straddled the third and fourth quarters turned the tide. East Rock had just taken a 10-point lead on a surge that featured an incredible sequence when Dalton Jefferson met Darius George at the rim and stuffed the shot back in his face, and the Eagles raced the other way for a triple that gave them a 61-51 lead. At that point you might have bet money that the Eagles were going to salt it away, but Lee scored the last five points of the third quarter to regain momentum.

The seesaw battle down the stretch was wild and I am not sure but Lee's final margin may have been their largest lead of the game. In the end I think their size advantage just wore down the Eagles. I had not seen the Leemen before tonight but they definitely come as advertised.

East Rock fans no doubt felt a lump in their throats tonight when it briefly appeared that Rogers might have re-injured the ankle. But he was able to come back and finish the game. Comer was on fire in the first half and Butler was...well what can you say........he was Javon Butler........so that trio will take them far. If these two were to meet again on a neutral court with a completely healthy East Rock, I might like the Eagles' chances.

Anyway, great game....one of those that you will always remember seeing.

Reactions: AntGZee
Pizzzzza, the Mavahi-Lee game when James Hunt hit the shot from the short corner over the edge of the backboard for a Dogs 1 point win was probably one of the most exciting and intense games I ever watched. Believe that was 85. Lee and Martinsville had huge amounts of talent on the court that day.

Have to eat my words, East Rock has been playing better all season than Lee but last night Lee looked better than they had all year. Good luck to both the rest of the way. Wouldn't mind seeing that rematch

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
Pizzzzza, the Mavahi-Lee game when James Hunt hit the shot from the short corner over the edge of the backboard for a Dogs 1 point win was probably one of the most exciting and intense games I ever watched. Believe that was 85. Lee and Martinsville had huge amounts of talent on the court that day.

Yes that's definitely one of them - I was at that game at JMU's Godwin Hall - wow - and you're right - talent everywhere - I believe that was Kevin Madden's senior year - Lee had beaten Mavahi the year before @ UHall in the state finals 81-70.

I really thought Lee had that game won until Hunt hit that incredible shot!

I remember the Dogs having Mark Cooke and Shawn Moore (Football QB I believe), Kevin Beamer on that team as well - and I think a fellow - Vincent Ingram (not sure)

I just know both teams were so good - too bad they had to play each other so early.

I remember seeing Martinsville easily beat George Wythe (Wytheville) in the finals, but felt the Lee - Martinsville game was the actual state championship.

In fact, I still have most of the state programs from the 70s/80s/90s.......

I'm pretty sure mayberryite remembers these games.

Great memories.

Last edited:
Yea, the bulk of that 85 MHS team were juniors. Hunt, Cooke, Beamer, Moore and Clark were all juniors. Vincent "Ice Man" Ingram was indeed a senior on that team. MHS finished 26-0 in 85.

Yea, the bulk of that 85 MHS team were juniors. Hunt, Cooke, Beamer, Moore and Clark were all juniors. Vincent "Ice Man" Ingram was indeed a senior on that team. MHS finished 26-0 in 85.

I may be getting older, but I still got my basketball memory!

Wait to you get my age, my first memories on Dogs basketball was the legendary "mumps" team back in the mid 60's. They finished like 9-9 in the regular season because 75% of the team had the mumps during the season. Everybody got healthy in time for the district tournament and they went on a roll, won district then regional and finally the state tourney. Now that's old!!

Stacey Clark was on that Martinsville team as well.

For some reason, I think I have video or something from that game - I do remember seeing an interview with Mark Cooke on one of my DVDs when I was going through them one day - plus got the state programs with pix/stats/etc.

I'll have to do some digging around to see if I can find any of this stuff - there might be some fans on here who might be interested in all that stuff.

pizzzzzzza your memory is going ... wasnt that 85 game in the newly minted convocation center?

Well then I guess it was the Convo Center - LOL - see what happens when you start to age...........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT