ADVERTISEMENT

Briar Woods will be tough in 2014

Nov 12, 2012
BW is not worried about replacing Trace McSorley because McSorley is not replaceable. You just don't replicate one of Virginia's best high QB school careers with the next guy who comes along. The 2014 team will play to its strengths which are: 1) an experienced O-Line; 2) as good a receiving corps as they ever had and Bi's had some good ones; 3) the return of a dominating nose tackle; 4) a pass rusher who will be playing D-1 in a couple years; 5) an improved running game, At QB they need someone who will make good throws to open receivers, not try to force anything in the air, and hold on to the ball when getting hit. In other words an above average performance at QB can take this team a long way.

Yes, they were a fundamentally sound team with a lot of athletes all over the field. McSorley was one of the best I ever saw, but I've seen teams like that get even better once "the star" leaves. Everybody suddenly takes more responsibility and steps up more often. Definitely still the favorite to get to the state final.

I don't have scouting reports, but I figure the champ of the North is from this batch of schools (simply based on having a consistent track record). Briar Woods, Stone Bridge, North Stafford, Massaponax, Tuscarora, Broad Run and Mountain View.

North Stafford and Stone Bridge must really be hungry. So close, so often.

I believe it was Skynard that posted some information about Tuscarora a while back. I was impressed. I saw a lot of reasons to be encouraged by their potential. But, I believe you are dead on with the picking of teams with a history. I'll guess we will get more details and insight as August nears.

Like the info on the North... Whats going on in the South. We all know Bird will be back, but I'm sure there will be some other teams in the 804 that will contend. I got some info from a very good source that Herm has been looking very good in 7on7. I quickly squashed that excitement by letting them know 7on7 is make believe...LOL.. it will make u Believe one thing until the pads come on..

The first scouting report I heard on Bird is that they will have more talent this year than the last two years, which might sound crazy, but they really have done it the last two years with very few major college recruits. Atlee is supposed to be better, as is Hermitage, Highland Springs, Meadowbrook and Manchester.

The Colonial has a few good teams, and maybe one of them is ready for a run deep in the playoffs: Deep Run, Godwin, Freeman. Lee-Davis and Matoaca are worth watching.

I'd rank them like this:
1. Bird
2. Hermitage
3. Manchester
4. Highland Springs
5. Atlee
6. Meadowbrook
7. Freeman
8. Mills Godwin
9. Lee-Davis
10. Matoaca

Salem, Hampton, Green Run and Maury were the only four teams with winning records out of the East last year, so I look for the champ down there to come from those four teams. However, right now, Salem is a BIG favorite to face the Richmond Area Champ in the State Semi-Finals. Salem has quietly reeled off three straight seasons with double digit wins (only 15 teams in the whole state have managed that).

This post was edited on 5/12 6:51 AM by GilliamRatings

Will they lose players to Rock Ridge?

Is Rock Ridge playing a full varsity schedule in 2014? It seems like Briar Woods' attendance zone is being split in half based on the news articles I've read. Do you know if Briar Woods is moving down to 4A or 3A in the next cycle?

Look for Tuscaroura to beat BW this year. The Huskies return 8 players on Defense and 9 on Offense including ALL their impact players. Very good young duel threat QB won the job midway through the season and will only get better. People in Leesburg believe they have all the tools to be in the Final 4 at the end of the year. BW returns 5 starters on D and 6 on Offense but lose their best player on both sides of the ball, best WR, and 3 OL. Circle this game on your schedule.

Re: Will they lose players to Rock Ridge?

There is a new school opening in Loudon County that should pull some kids from Briar Woods but their capacity and the growth in the region will likely keep them at 5A. No chance they go 3A.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT