5. Central (6-2) 157 19.625
6. Tazewell (5-3) 151 18.875
7. Gate City (4-5) 149 16.555
8. Marion (3-5) 119 14.875
9. Battle (1-7) 99 12.375
10. Lebanon (1-7) 92 11.5
11. Virginia (0-8) 92 11.5
12. Lee (0-8) 90 11.25

Looks like Appo creeping up on Radford. Can Radford hold onto top seed? Rider points are very critical now. Things are so wild in C this year i cant predict outcomes and feel good about them.

Looks like Appo creeping up on Radford. Can Radford hold onto top seed? Rider points are very critical now. Things are so wild in C this year i cant predict outcomes and feel good about them.

Rider points will matter, but keep in mind, with Appo and Radford having two games left for each team...

Radford-plays one 2A school and one 3A school.
Appo-plays one 2A school and one 1A school.

The above is a 4 point swing that Radford will have which means Appo will really have to catch up in the rider points. I'm sure it's going to be close and Appo may pull it off and get the one seed.

Reactions: obguthr
Radfords 3a game is Carrol with 2 wins thus far. Appo game against a 1a team with 4 wins. It is going to be very close who ends up on top seed.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
As a point of reference any 2A school playing a 1A still gets 2A points so as not to discourage teams from playing lower classification schools. So that difference is really only 2 for the 3A school. Add in the points difference in win totals it swings 2 points in favor of Appo. It is going to be razor thin for that #1 seed. Good luck to both

As a point of reference any 2A school playing a 1A still gets 2A points so as not to discourage teams from playing lower classification schools. So that difference is really only 2 for the 3A school. Add in the points difference in win totals it swings 2 points in favor of Appo. It is going to be razor thin for that #1 seed. Good luck to both
That was my point.

Radford has Floyd and Carroll left. Should win both and this is Floyd's only game left and would be 5-5 giving Radford 28 points. Carroll has Alleghany left that I think they win so they give Radford 26 points. Rather Carroll wins or not Radford gets 2 from either. Appomattox has William Campbell who should beat Altavista and be 5-5 giving them 28 but they get two regardless who wins that game. Appo also has Nelson who will give them 26 as this is Nelson's only game left. So just about a lock they both getting 28 and 26 out of last two which still keeps Radford ahead by two points.
Radford Rider Points: Wythe should win there last two giving them 4. Chiswell only has Graham left so probably nothing from them. Gretna winning out gives them 4. Richlands only has Lebanon and Va left which gives them 2. They will get 6 points from division games no matter who wins since they beat them all. That gives them 16 rider points.
Appomattox Points: Buckingham has Prince Edwards and Nottoway left and definitely should win out giving them 2. Rustburg has Liberty and JF left. Probably beat Liberty but not JF for 2. Heritage has Glass and LCA left. I have them winning out for 2 more. St. River has Byrd and Northside and can't really see them winning either so no points. They also will get 6 from district games no matter who wins. That gives them a total of 12 rider points.
So that puts Radford at 256 and Appo 250. Best scenerio I see for Appo is if Dan River beats Gretna. Appo gets 2 either way but Radford loses 2 from Gretna. That still leaves them 4 behind. Would then have to have St. River or Rustburg winning all three of the games I had them losing to get 6 more because they would lose tiebreaker with Radford for overall record. Would be very very hard for all that to happen but not impossible.

Radford has Floyd and Carroll left. Should win both and this is Floyd's only game left and would be 5-5 giving Radford 28 points. Carroll has Alleghany left that I think they win so they give Radford 26 points. Rather Carroll wins or not Radford gets 2 from either. Appomattox has William Campbell who should beat Altavista and be 5-5 giving them 28 but they get two regardless who wins that game. Appo also has Nelson who will give them 26 as this is Nelson's only game left. So just about a lock they both getting 28 and 26 out of last two which still keeps Radford ahead by two points.
Radford Rider Points: Wythe should win there last two giving them 4. Chiswell only has Graham left so probably nothing from them. Gretna winning out gives them 4. Richlands only has Lebanon and Va left which gives them 2. They will get 6 points from division games no matter who wins since they beat them all. That gives them 16 rider points.
Appomattox Points: Buckingham has Prince Edwards and Nottoway left and definitely should win out giving them 2. Rustburg has Liberty and JF left. Probably beat Liberty but not JF for 2. Heritage has Glass and LCA left. I have them winning out for 2 more. St. River has Byrd and Northside and can't really see them winning either so no points. They also will get 6 from district games no matter who wins. That gives them a total of 12 rider points.
So that puts Radford at 256 and Appo 250. Best scenerio I see for Appo is if Dan River beats Gretna. Appo gets 2 either way but Radford loses 2 from Gretna. That still leaves them 4 behind. Would then have to have St. River or Rustburg winning all three of the games I had them losing to get 6 more because they would lose tiebreaker with Radford for overall record. Would be very very hard for all that to happen but not impossible.
Glenvar has Giles and Allegany left. Assuming they win out do you see them remaining at the 5th seed or could they move up to 4th

If Radford finishes 9-1, they should have no problem being #1 seed. Appo will be a solid #2.

I have Radford finishing around 256 and Appo around 247.

Ran the rest of the playoff spot numbers. Two games will decide the 8 and the seeding. Gretna vs. Dan River and Chatham vs. Altavista. Gretna wins out they have 229 and locked at third. Glenvar wins out and will have 204 and be in a battle with DR at 202 for fourth and one home game. Dan River beats Gretna they get third at 219 as this is their only game left. Gretna ends up at 216 and fourth while Glenvar still 202 and fifth. So Glenvar will be pulling for Gretna next week so they still have good shot at 4 but will be nailbiter with DR. Top five are the top five. None drop out either way. Floyd only has Radford left and I have them losing but finishing at 182 and in sixth. If Chatham beats Altavista, I have them at 179 and tied with Patrick and being seventh with better record. Patrick I have losing to Halifax in their only game left but getting 18 points from 8-2 4A team ending with 179 and about guarantee lock at eight. If Chatham loses to Altavista they end up at 165 and out of playoffs. Patrick moves to seventh and if Giles beats James River, I have them losing to Glenvar, they end up at 171 and sneak in at eight. Although I have Chiswell and Nelson losing out but ending up at 169 and any 2 rider points I have them not getting would put either over Giles for 8. But these three only have a shot of Chatham loses to Altavista.

I hope Giles gets in and we win out and get the 1st seed and get to play Giles first in the playoffs. Lots of friends over there and it would be like old times.

I hope Giles gets in and we win out and get the 1st seed and get to play Giles first in the playoffs. Lots of friends over there and it would be like old times.

Giles don't deserve it at 3-7 plain and simple...and I doubt many want to see that matchup again anyway

Giles don't deserve it at 3-7 plain and simple...and I doubt many want to see that matchup again anyway

They may not deserve it. I don't know, I may be in the minority, but I want to see it. I think many in Radford would prefer to see Giles instead of Fort Chiswell or Patrick County in game one because the two are close and for some like me, a get together with friends. The problem is, I would fear Giles far more on the field than the other two. No offense to the other two.

They may not deserve it. I don't know, I may be in the minority, but I want to see it. I think many in Radford would prefer to see Giles instead of Fort Chiswell or Patrick County in game one because the two are close and for some like me, a get together with friends. The problem is, I would fear Giles far more on the field than the other two. No offense to the other two.

No offense but if you fear this Giles team then you shouldn't show up against appo or graham

Great analysis and right on as always. I think most of us Glenvar fans want to be on the Radford side of the bracket because of the rivalry if we get past either DR or Gretna. Both should be great games. No dominate team this year. Any one of 5 could win it.

Wonder why the move? To equal out regions?

Yes, had so many teams moving up and a couple down.

I don't understand how they were the one chosen, as someone like Nelson County is closer.

Not impossible for a 2nd round matchup of Buckingham and Clarke (if Clarke could move to 3rd). 175 miles and about 3 hours. Stuarts Draft is probably the closest to Buckingham, and it appears that they will be the top 2 seeds. That is 70 miles and hr and 20 minutes.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Radford really made a bad move dropping Galax. If they would of kept them and won they would have picked at least 32 points to date with 16 rider points. Even if they would of lost to Galax they still would have picked up 8 to 9 rider points. Plus those have been historically good games until last year

Logistically, Allegheny and Nelson would have been the most logical move to Region B. Buckingham probably fits better in C or even A with the other JRD teams. Can’t say I want Buckingham in C this year, just pointing out what makes sense the most sense IMO

Reactions: obguthr
when are division points awarded?

I know they were Region B in 2009. One of the best basketball games I’ve ever seen was Madison’s win over Buckigham in Region Tourney. But I thought they left the region and I must have missed when they returned.

I know they were Region B in 2009. One of the best basketball games I’ve ever seen was Madison’s win over Buckigham in Region Tourney. But I thought they left the region and I must have missed when they returned.

I've been wrong before, so no surprise there haha.

I know they were on this "side" when we had the East/West, but I said A because some of their district mates are still in Region A.

I just don't remember doing points for them any year, and I have been doing them longer than 2013 on here. But there was a stretch when SD was in 3a, so it could have been then

I don't think they were in B, maybe in A. They weren't in same region with the teams around here that I remember
Gretna played them in 2009 and ten in regionals of playoffs. Gretna won both in OT in Gretna. It was Region B finals. I just remember because one was one of the best I’ve seen. It was in region B

Reactions: BCKnights
Before the change to 2 divisions in 2011 we were Region B. Marshall I was at that ball game too! Madison played us tough in 08 at our place then knocked us off on the road in 09! Great teams coached by Tim Taylor I believe his name was? But yes we represented old Region B then joined the East region for 2011-2012. West for 13-16 then C for 17-18 now back to B. Hard to really place Buckingham because they’ll always be a geographic outlier

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
when are division points awarded?
Not sure what you mean about divisional points? Each game you get the points w/l plus rider points for their wins. You are also awarded rider points for wins for everyone you’ve played at the end of their game.

Not sure what you mean about divisional points? Each game you get the points w/l plus rider points for their wins. You are also awarded rider points for wins for everyone you’ve played at the end of their game.
This
They will get 6 points from division games no matter who wins since they beat them all. That gives them 16 rider points.
Appomattox Points: Buckingham has Prince Edwards and Nottoway left and definitely should win out giving them 2. Rustburg has Liberty and JF left. Probably beat Liberty but not JF for 2. Heritage has Glass and LCA left. I have them winning out for 2 more. St. River has Byrd and Northside and can't really see them winning either so no points. They also will get 6 from district games no matter who wins.
This is what you said that has me confused.

This
They will get 6 points from division games no matter who wins since they beat them all. That gives them 16 rider points.
Appomattox Points: Buckingham has Prince Edwards and Nottoway left and definitely should win out giving them 2. Rustburg has Liberty and JF left. Probably beat Liberty but not JF for 2. Heritage has Glass and LCA left. I have them winning out for 2 more. St. River has Byrd and Northside and can't really see them winning either so no points. They also will get 6 from district games no matter who wins.
This is what you said that has me confused.

He meant district, just wrote the wrong word.

What was meant is that they are guaranteed those points because no matter the winner of games they will get those points

Gretna played them in 2009 and ten in regionals of playoffs. Gretna won both in OT in Gretna. It was Region B finals. I just remember because one was one of the best I’ve seen. It was in region B
The 1st ot game at Gretna was good but the second was probably the best I've seen. We were down 35-15 im 4th and came back to tie. Took a 41 to 35 ot lead and Nick Miller scored on 4th and goal. Extra point won it. We missed 4 extra points including the one in overtime. What a game it was.

Reactions: gtownfencecrew
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT