ADVERTISEMENT

C3 Final

The officiating was horrible in this game. I hate to blame the referees but they kept Northside in the game when they went cold in the 3rd quarter and 4th quarter. Very questionable calls and several missed calls in the 2nd half. I feel bad for the Hopewell kids because they played extremely hard to dig themselves out of the large hole from the 1st half.

The officiating was horrible in this game. I hate to blame the referees but they kept Northside in the game when they went cold in the 3rd quarter and 4th quarter. Very questionable calls and several missed calls in the 2nd half. I feel bad for the Hopewell kids because they played extremely hard to dig themselves out of the large hole from the 1st half.
Northside played good but honestly they threw they best punch in the 1st quarter. And Hopewell came out flat. Without the refs that drought could of been a lot worse.

Reactions: Thomasddev
Yes the refs were really bad hopewell had the momentum and the refs made to awful calls against hopewell late in the game, it appeared they were for Northside, but congratulations to Northside they won the game but hopewell will probably be back next year with 4 starter back.

I saw Northside/CS the other night @mike salem. Very good basketball in Roanoke this year. I’m hopeful PH brings it home tomorrow. Northside will be good for many years to come. Those two sophomores they have can play with anybody in the state of Virginia in any class.

I saw Northside/CS the other night @mike salem. Very good basketball in Roanoke this year. I’m hopeful PH brings it home tomorrow. Northside will be good for many years to come. Those two sophomores they have can play with anybody in the state of Virginia in any class.
I was at the PH/HS game the other night. #3 Yarmah for PH is a very talented player. I've seen both PH and NS play on a few occasions this year, they have been impressive. I wished they had a doubleheader the other night @ WF. I would have liked to watch both games. On a side note, why doesn't Northside & PH play each other during the regular season? Or WF/CS for that matter? They are usually all really good teams and they are in each other's backyard. PH and NS would have been an epic event this year. (Especially with Webb having transferred) Maybe the AD's will try to work it out next year for at least 1 matchup. Oh well, Congratulations to Northside, and good luck to PH!

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Yes the refs were bad, the game changed for hopewell when they went to zone defense Northside had problems scoring but the the refs help them out . But congratulations to Northside and hopewell for their great year. They will be back next year 4 starter back.

Northside played good but honestly they threw they best punch in the 1st quarter. And Hopewell came out flat. Without the refs that drought could of been a lot worse.
Yes I agree hopewell went from man to man defense to zone Northside had problems scoring but the refs bailed them out for sure.

I was at the PH/HS game the other night. #3 Yarmah for PH is a very talented player. I've seen both PH and NS play on a few occasions this year, they have been impressive. I wished they had a doubleheader the other night @ WF. I would have liked to watch both games. On a side note, why doesn't Northside & PH play each other during the regular season? Or WF/CS for that matter? They are usually all really good teams and they are in each other's backyard. PH and NS would have been an epic event this year. (Especially with Webb having transferred) Maybe the AD's will try to work it out next year for at least 1 matchup. Oh well, Congratulations to Northside, and good luck to PH!
Back 'in the day', all these teams did play each other when I went to Lee (Staunton).

It was an 'us against them' mentality - Lee vs all the Roanoke teams.

I can't believe they don't play each other anymore....that's really unfortunate.

They are in separate districts now which is unfortunate. Cave Spring and PH are in the River Ridge while Fleming and Northside are in the Blue Ridge. Shame, they all need to play each other. PH and Fleming play twice a year because of the city school rivalry, and Northside and Cave play cause they are in the same region. Would have loved to see WF/Cave and PH/Northside this year.

On the NFHS, the ref calls looked fine. I certainly haven't seen videos floating around showing bad ref calls like after Hopewell's semifinal game.

On the NFHS, the ref calls looked fine. I certainly haven't seen videos floating around showing bad ref calls like after Hopewell's semifinal game.
I’ve had plenty people even rivals that’ that wanted hopewell to lose say the no calls was blatant. And even with the horrible refs at skyline nobody from hopewell put out videos of the bad refs

Put out videos for what, if you were at the game your eyes are the video. if Was obvious. The bottom line people voice their concerns and feelings on this post regardless its not going to change anything so what the heck maybe next year.

As unappreciated as they are, most of the refs I’ve seen have been horrible all year. I watched a female official single-handedly take one of the best high school games this year and make it about her in NC. It was pretty blatant and ended a very good team’s season. Being an official is hard but a lot of them mess the flow of the game up and take the aggression out of the game by calling foul on every possession. When basketball had 2 officials it was a lot better.

Last edited:
As hard and as unappreciated as they are, most of the refs I’ve seen have been horrible all year. I watched a female official single-handedly take one of the best high school games this year and make it about her in NC. It was pretty blatant and ended a very good team’s season. Being an official is hard but a lot of them mess the flow of the game up and take the aggression out of the game by calling foul on every possession. When basketball had 2 officials it was a lot better.
Did you see the replay of that third strike against the Miss St baseball player? I (may have the team wrong.) That pitch was three feet outside and almost in the dirt. I don’t blame the kid for coming unglued. That umpire’s career should be terminated.

It is very difficult to ref games with teams that run all game and play aggressive defense, and that was true of most of the teams at the state level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT