Can Galax win the big one

Who wins

• Galax

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Riverheads

Votes: 36 67.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Skippy82 I would agree with you. IMO last year defensively Chilhowie played well enough to win that game. Minus a blown coverage the third or forth play of the game they settled in and it was a war. 7-0 going into halftime vs Riverheads had me thinking it would come down to a classic. The offensive play calling is what really hurt Chilhowie’s chances last year. 3 and outs most of the game. The defense for Chilhowie never got a break because the offense could never get it together. Credit goes to Riverheads, but the offensive play caller for Chilhowie was Riverheads MVP of that game. I can recall seeing a number 3 at Slot back on Chilhowies offense and time after time missed blocks that would have sprung free the stud back. When I looked at the sideline for Chilhowie it was filled with athlete’s that appeared to be much more suited for the slot back position especially if they were using that for a blocking back. It blew my mind why the change was never made, and after investigating the player who missed block after block after block was the offensive play callers son. Joey Russell(offensive play caller) sacrificed success of the team just so his son could start for the team. Even battling that Chilhowie went to the air throwing to the huge tight end and found success but waited until it was to late in the game. Maybe this is why George Wythe got rid of Joey Russell as offensive play caller after so many years? The lack of making adjustments when something is not working. They had talent and the athlete’s but failed to put them in the right situations.

Now onto 2019 IMO your not going to see a respect of last years game. Your not going to see either staff not play their best players. Both coaching staffs are the best in the state for 1A. I’ve seen both teams on film and hope to see a classic Saturday. Two of the best head coaches in the state going head to head it should be a chess match to the final second. I agree Galax seems to have a lot more balance this year then in years past. Riverheads does what Riverheads always does they just dominate. I’m excited to see how the trench play goes. Does Galax have enough up front to open up the holes and get play action going and also slow down the running game for Riverheads. Chilhowie used a very similar defensive game plan last year that mirrored what Galax did the last time they played Riverheads. It slowed Riverheads down but Riverheads was so good at making adjustments and found ways to move the play. I’m interested so see what Dixon draws up this time around.

To answer the question, Galax can win but it’s going to take 4 quarters of smash mouth football and minimal mistakes to take the trophy back to SWVA. Good luck to both teams!

Not to be disrespectful when I ask this because I am curious but does anyone on here truly believe that Galax has more athletes than Essex? I know Riverheads doesn't but that doesn't always translate to wins. In watching Galax on film, I see 4 that can house it from most anywhere on the field but I do not see them as significantly better than the top four athletes that the Trojans put on the field this past week. IMO we don't have as many all around athletes as some on here are saying and I don't think we are as fast as we have been in the past but have a couple that can roll when needed. I absolutely believe Galax has much better line play than I witnessed on Saturday from Essex and a more fundamental defensive team including no arm tackling. In the end I think this will be a back an forth battle with the pressure ratcheting up as the game goes on until someone blinks. Two very good teams that could play at 4P should make this an instant classic. I see where there are those already wanting to move the game to Sunday because the weather is going to effect the gate. Most fans will be there in a blizzard if they play to be honest so play it whenever.

Galax has spent all season working on a spread system to beat RH; spread RH out and get the ball to play makers in space and spread them out and run Denver Brown.....It has been successful up to this point and I think that idea would have worked well (Not saying they would beat them; but work well).....However, it looks like mother nature is planning to throw a wrench into the game plan...I know its Monday and if anything we know the weather changes hour by hour, but at this point its looking Cool and Rainy for Saturday in Salem. Yes you can throw and catch in the rain....but it makes it much tougher.....On a dry field and dry weather I say RH by 1 to 2 TDs......With the weather expected and RH heavy and very successful running game I will now say RH by 3 to 4 TDs. We will just wait and see if the weather happens or not.
Galax didn't have any problems with the downpour rain storm against George Wythe, just saying.

Really dried up on SWVASPORTSFORUM. Is the Tide comin in or going out ? The calm before the storm!

In reality they don't claim them all the time. I know there are a lot of posters over there but most primarily follow the region d teams. They will support Galax for sure in Salem though, you can count on that.

Reactions: Skippy82
There is only about 3 or 4 folks from Galax on that site! What's your point?

I don't remember anyone from Galax post anything on SWVA about Riverheads much, not disrespectful anyways. I could be wrong but I do not remember it.
As well as most on there talking about Galax was comparing them to REGION D teams and most of them was not Galax posters. So I am kind of lost as well.

I for one have tremendous respect for every team we play, especially Riverheads. 90% of the posters on here from Riverheads are class acts well.Especially when they could be asshat with the past three years success. Red pride is about as fact based unbiased poster I have seen on these boards.

Riverheads Is a very good team with little weakness and will be a monumental challenge and every one knows that.

I really like Coach Dixons comments about the game this week. - - - That’s a juggernaut,” Dixon said. “It is what it is, gentlemen. Nobody gives us a chance and all our kids know that. I guess they’ll still let us go try to play. We’ll try to show up and see what we can do.
LOL classic

I don't remember anyone from Galax post anything on SWVA about Riverheads much, not disrespectful anyways. I could be wrong but I do not remember it.
As well as most on there talking about Galax was comparing them to REGION D teams and most of them was not Galax posters. So I am kind of lost as well.

I for one have tremendous respect for every team we play, especially Riverheads. 90% of the posters on here from Riverheads are class acts well.Especially when they could be asshat with the past three years success. Red pride is about as fact based unbiased poster I have seen on these boards.

Riverheads Is a very good team with little weakness and will be a monumental challenge and every one knows that.

I really like Coach Dixons comments about the game this week. - - - That’s a juggernaut,” Dixon said. “It is what it is, gentlemen. Nobody gives us a chance and all our kids know that. I guess they’ll still let us go try to play. We’ll try to show up and see what we can do.
LOL classic
I also remember him talking before the 2015 game that he couldnt stop Riverheads. There only hope was to score with them and I also remember they totally shut down Riverheads offense except for the last drive where we completed a long pass. We couldnt run at all that day. Im sure he has a plan. Hes definitely one of the top coaches in the state.

@Skippy82, thanks for the kind words. I try to remember these are young men and they read too but most importantly, I like good football and don’t mind calling out when others are doing things that right way. As to anyone on the SWVA board being disrespectful, I don’t recall anything over the top towards either team. Also I am positive the Region D folks will be well represented in Salem cheering on their Region C brethren. It’s not a hate thing against Riverheads but they want the trophy south of Roanoke whenever possible in every sport.

With Riverheads you can’t be all over the place like Bird Droppings, it will take a focused effort in your system and plenty of patience, offensively you may only get 6 - 8 possessions, turnover the ball you are in trouble, get the game in 4th quarter and be in striking distance and take your shot. Riverheads play on defense is scary good , figure them out defensively you win , teams are super focused on stopping them offensively and forget about that defense !

And of course I brought up weather and just like that they've changed it to "Chance of morning showers," throw the weather out the window we will just have to wait and see what its like Saturday at Noon. At this point it could be sunny and 60 or Snowing and 28; lets just say there's a 50% of some sort of precipitation, temps somewhere between 10-80 degrees with wind speeds between 0-50 MPH......LOL

The main reason I believe Galax has a shot is Dixon. I think Riverheads has most teams beat before they get off the bus, but Galax has beaten them once before for a state title and believe they can win the game. I'm not sold they win, but they're the first team in the playoffs I've paid attention to that has a legit shot at beating them.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
. The one thing I see that is a common denominator for Riverheads opponents is the fact, of the teams I watched them play - they all made a ton of crucial self inflicted mistakes. You absolutely cannot give a team like Riverheads any help, they do not need any. Riverheads has an uncanny ability in making teams go away from what they are comfortable with and this causes them to make alot of mistakes. That's half the battle right there, taking a team out of its element by just being who they are.

Someone said it on here already but you have to play mistake free football as because you get limited touches on the offensive side of the ball.

Number 2 is an outstanding football player in that offense.

Last edited:
I finally got a hold of some Riverhead game footage from this year. The one thing I see that is a common denominator for Riverheads opponents is the fact, of the teams I watched them play - they all made a ton of crucial self inflicted mistakes. You absolutely cannot give a team like Riverheads any help, they do not need any. Riverheads has an uncanny ability in making teams go away from what they are comfortable with and this causes them to make alot of mistakes. That's half the battle right there, taking a team out of its element by just being who they are.

Someone said it on here already but you have to play mistake free football as because you get limited touches on the offensive side of the ball.

Number 2 is an outstanding football player in that offense.

I think you watched something old then. #2 is a freshman QB, which I know he started earlier in year with his brother out, but not much recently that I know of

I think you watched something old then. #2 is a freshman QB, which I know he started earlier in year with his brother out, but not much recently that I know of
Your right he started the 1st three games then his brother came back off of IR. Hes been getting some mop up duty but thats about it. I think its safe to say we will still be good at qb with him at the helm the next 3 years.

Your right he started the 1st three games then his brother came back off of IR. Hes been getting some mop up duty but thats about it. I think its safe to say we will still be good at qb with him at the helm the next 3 years.

I'm guessing maybe he saw last year, Morris? Wasn't he #2? I see yall play once a year, maybe a couple. I obviously saw the SD game, and saw the ER game last year and the championship

Yes Morris was #2.

Isn’t that the case with any team getting breaks and converting. Watching Galax, they benefitted from mistakes and miscues that teams make too. Mostly due to their very good defense. It’s no secret what the Gladiators do. Everybody already knows what plays will be run. Knowing and stopping are two entirely different things though. I have seen about every front imaginable to stop it with some more successful than others

Yes Morris was #2.

Isn’t that the case with any team getting breaks and converting. Watching Galax, they benefitted from mistakes and miscues that teams make too. Mostly due to their very good defense. It’s no secret what the Gladiators do. Everybody already knows what plays will be run. Knowing and stopping are two entirely different things though. I have seen about every front imaginable to stop it with some more successful than others

My point was these teams was making mistakes that they normally wouldn't due to pyhsiclogical factor. It was not to down play Riverheads talents or abilities, it was the opposite.

Understood, and my compliment to Galax was the same. Solid team with great players and coaching. Tons of respect for what coach Dixon has built. Good teams always impose their will and as much as everyone continues to talk about the offenses (and deservedly so), the defensive side of the ball is where I believe this game will be won. Which team can limit the big play of the other and flip the field by getting those crucial three and outs when they have the other backed up? Special teams will play a part in the outcome of this game, fact.

7 up first quarter. 17-14 red at half. 31-14 3rd quarter, and then it gets ugly. 52-20 Big Red. And a few unsportsmanlike flags

RedPrideNation_RollPride what is the name of the pod cast that you posted earlier that discusses football in your area?

YAC, Your Augusta County sports. I know it’s on Podbean. I am pretty sure they have a twitter handle as well with the link. They take on much more of a homer role on the podcast so be prepared, lol.

Reactions: Optimal62
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT