ADVERTISEMENT

Casto back at Riverheads

Just touch on reclassified division and teams dropping football there used to be 3 classes was there talk of teams dropping football I don’t recall it so how can you say that’s the reason now it’s just times we live in

When was the last time there were only 3 VHSL football champions? Aka when did the division split happen for football?

I’m thinking around 2000 and then only football split in 1a all other sports were just 3 classes then not until did 2910 and 2011 school year did the rest of sports split

Just touch on reclassified division and teams dropping football there used to be 3 classes was there talk of teams dropping football I don’t recall it so how can you say that’s the reason now it’s just times we live in

A lot of small schools struggled fielding teams before the split happened. But since that split occurred over 33 years ago it just isnt recalled by most folks now.

A lot of small schools struggled fielding teams before the split happened. But since that split occurred over 33 years ago it just isnt recalled by most folks now.

I don't know either way for that, but one thing I do see is a bunch of schools have consolidated or closed. That is probably counter acted by new schools opening up, mainly in larger classes and areas.

I'm sure those schools didn't do that for sports though. But logic would say some of them had issues

All other sports took place in 2010 2011 school year

Right, but that’s the current re-org for all sports. For some reason, I thought there were basketball divisions for a period just like football while A/AA/AAA was still in place.

I don't know either way for that, but one thing I do see is a bunch of schools have consolidated or closed. That is probably counter acted by new schools opening up, mainly in larger classes and areas.

I'm sure those schools didn't do that for sports though. But logic would say some of them had issues

Off the subject here a bit, I saw in one of the other threads where Bath County is down to 165 students.. that just blows my mind if those numbers are accurate. Not that they've ever had high enrollment numbers but wow, that plunge puts them as possibly the second smallest school in the state playing football, trailing only Chincoteague.

Off the subject here a bit, I saw in one of the other threads where Bath County is down to 165 students.. that just blows my mind if those numbers are accurate. Not that they've ever had high enrollment numbers but wow, that plunge puts them as possibly the second smallest school in the state playing football, trailing only Chincoteague.
King and Queen is the smallest football playing school. Enrollment of 150 students. Chincoteague is the next smallest. I'm not sure of their exact number but I'd guess around 160 or so.

Realignment is needed , manipulation needs to be addressed by VHSL. It's not worth it for these smaller schools to participate. 1A football is will not exist in 5 years.

Reactions: mmqp
King and Queen is the smallest football playing school. Enrollment of 150 students. Chincoteague is the next smallest. I'm not sure of their exact number but I'd guess around 160 or so.

You're right! I need to pay better attention next time. So Chincoteague now has a higher enrollment than Bath does. K&Q being the smallest football playing school is not surprising though. Will they be fielding a full schedule this season? I hope so.

You're right! I need to pay better attention next time. So Chincoteague now has a higher enrollment than Bath does. K&Q being the smallest football playing school is not surprising though. Will they be fielding a full schedule this season? I hope so.
Yes they will be playing a full schedule just like they did last year. Currently there are 55 kids between jv and varsity

Reactions: WP02alum and mmqp
I try to stay away from the manipulation thing, but yes we both are in full agreement on needing a do over.
Yes they will be playing a full schedule just like they did last year. Currently there are 55 kids between jv and varsity

Well thats good to hear considering where they were just a couple of years ago. Any idea whether Charles City will field a team this year or not?

Last edited:
I try to stay away from the manipulation thing, but yes we both are in full agreement on needed a do over.

Well thats good to hear considering where they were just a couple of years ago. Any idea whether Charles City will field a team this year or not?
Ok what's another term or word let's see ( A honest thief)

I try to stay away from the manipulation thing, but yes we both are in full agreement on needed a do over.

I haven't heard for sure on Charles City. I'm hoping they do.

Hahaha I'm just trying to stay out of it. I've turned over a new leaf and trying to keep the peace lol.
I'm not referring to any one program. Just saying in general any form intended or not is killing this division of football. What the bigger 1a schools will move up once 1a is no longer in exisistance. Honestly if you win 10 in row State Championships at some point you look clownish.

I was on the last team at Pocahontas. We had 110ish in the school. Dressed 14 players for the final game vs. Galax In 2007

Reactions: kwhs95fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT