ADVERTISEMENT

Casto back at Riverheads

Thanks for all the positive comments ! Lord willing and my tractor running I will make every game this year , so I can reel yall in . lol Hey, have a nice day !

Which team are you going to see, the one that nobody can compete with or the one with lackluster coaching, no talent, and lucky to make the playoffs?

Which team are you going to see, the one that nobody can compete with or the one with lackluster coaching, no talent, and lucky to make the playoffs?
I think they will be just good enough to smack the Cougars and the Tigers ! Time will tell .

Since the enrollment question was somehow brought into this discussion again, I will point out that last weekend's graduating class at Riverheads numbered 115. Now since the enrollment is based on grades 9-12, that would seem to indicate that the enrollment, give or take, is 460.

As for "reeling in" X Cross, I am amused that some of you cannot figure out the correct way to take his comments and therefore the correct way to deal with him. If and when you learn to do that, your lives will be a lot more peaceful.

I think they will be just good enough to smack the Cougars and the Tigers ! Time will tell .

Darn, you mean you can't spare us little ole Cougars? O well. But you guys sure will be miserable going 2-9. Since only way you would smack Tigers is in playoffs. Good news though, 0-10 teams make the playoffs in 1b

What you don't know is that there are ways schools can reduce their numbers to VHSL and keep all their ADM money from the state. The state numbers are the starting point, then superintendents can adjust that number based on certain factors, state a reason, and then those numbers are used. There are a few other ways as well.

The only people who gripe about enrollment are
1. message board heroes
2. complaining entitled parents
3. jealous fans

#getbetter

Parry Mccluer Girls bball has crushed 1A competition the past several years.... you wanna beat them.. get better

Juan Thornhill dominated 1A for A-town.... you wanna beat him.. get better

Riverheads has dominated 1A for awhile.... you wanna beat them... get better

Appomattox dominated 2A football for the past 5 years... you wanna beat them... get better

Spottswood Girls bball has dominated 3A hoops for a LONG time....you wanna beat them... get better

And isn't there some basketball team (not sure if it is boys or girls) in one of the higher classifications that has won the state title for something like six years in a row?????

And isn't there some basketball team (not sure if it is boys or girls) in one of the higher classifications that has won the state title for something like six years in a row?????
Princess Anne girls basketball. They've won 5 or 6 straight and been in the championship something like 10 years straight. They are a well oiled machine to say the least. Their coach only has like 50 or so losses in nearly 25 years with the school.

The only people who gripe about enrollment are
1. message board heroes
2. complaining entitled parents
3. jealous fans

#getbetter

Parry Mccluer Girls bball has crushed 1A competition the past several years.... you wanna beat them.. get better

Juan Thornhill dominated 1A for A-town.... you wanna beat him.. get better

Riverheads has dominated 1A for awhile.... you wanna beat them... get better

Appomattox dominated 2A football for the past 5 years... you wanna beat them... get better

Spottswood Girls bball has dominated 3A hoops for a LONG time....you wanna beat them... get better
Yeah I hear ya loud and clear , but one fact remains about Rivershead they will never get credit for doing it the right way the stench is attached and will not go away sorry ! Im personally not calling them cheaters but the reputation based on numerous people is they are not a honest program, this last incident with the coaching was very messy to go along with numbers game is not a good look.

Reactions: Senex and WP02alum
Credit from who, lol? Any publication from the VHSL lists them as State Champions in 2000, 2006, 2010, 2016, 2017, and 2018. I don't see a side note or blemish on that record as transcribed by the keepers of that information. And I would bet there isn't anyone associated with the program that cares what the masses think.

To quote that dragon show that just wrapped up, "A lion does not concern himself with the opinion of sheep". The opinion is that something is afoul but not a single reprimand has been handed down by the governing body of high school sports in the state of Virginia. I am sure with the mountain of evidence this coverup has yielded that there is only a matter of time before there are some serious repercussions though, right? Newsflash, there isn't any.

I do respect the posters on here but there are about 100 threads that discuss the ADM numbers and the conspiracy that allegedly takes place in Greenville. To that I just sigh and wonder how someone jumps to the conclusions they do based on nothing but opinion. When there is hard evidence of any of the multitude of allegations, I will come on and eat plate after plate of crow. Until then the RedPrideNation is cheering on the spring sports programs while anticipating the start of another football season.

#RollPride

Yeah I hear ya loud and clear , but one fact remains about Rivershead they will never get credit for doing it the right way the stench is attached and will not go away sorry ! Im personally not calling them cheaters but the reputation based on numerous people is they are not a honest program, this last incident with the coaching was very messy to go along with numbers game is not a good look.

Dont waste your time arguing with the JokefromJMU. For all the big talk about how teams need to toughen up.. dare to mention that the enrollment cut off for D1 be dropped to 400 and watch him squirm (but but but thats not fair to smaller schools...). Watched him do that at least 100 times on here. It's easy to be the big fish in a small pond and tell everyone else they "need to just get better" but when the shoe gets placed on the other foot its a different ball game.

And before the rest of the Riverheads fans jump to his defense I've already stated I could not care less about Riverheads enrollment. I stand behind my point that cut off should be 400 and that is it. Riverheads would do fine at D2 as would some of the other schools that would get caught moving up. Just dont believe they'd win a title there.. but hey, then I guess we could use the "just gotta get better" thing, huh?

Reactions: WP02alum
Credit from who, lol? Any publication from the VHSL lists them as State Champions in 2000, 2006, 2010, 2016, 2017, and 2018. I don't see a side note or blemish on that record as transcribed by the keepers of that information. And I would bet there isn't anyone associated with the program that cares what the masses think.

To quote that dragon show that just wrapped up, "A lion does not concern himself with the opinion of sheep". The opinion is that something is afoul but not a single reprimand has been handed down by the governing body of high school sports in the state of Virginia. I am sure with the mountain of evidence this coverup has yielded that there is only a matter of time before there are some serious repercussions though, right? Newsflash, there isn't any.

I do respect the posters on here but there are about 100 threads that discuss the ADM numbers and the conspiracy that allegedly takes place in Greenville. To that I just sigh and wonder how someone jumps to the conclusions they do based on nothing but opinion. When there is hard evidence of any of the multitude of allegations, I will come on and eat plate after plate of crow. Until then the RedPrideNation is cheering on the spring sports programs while anticipating the start of another football season.

#RollPride

You guys have won it fair and square. And in steamrolling fashion in recent years.

#RollPride
Just saw where Mueller said his investigation of Trump/Russia is over and hes resigning today. Rumor has it hes starting the Riverheads/Enrollment investigation immediately so I suspect we should have some insight in a couple years.

Dont waste your time arguing with the JokefromJMU. For all the big talk about how teams need to toughen up.. dare to mention that the enrollment cut off for D1 be dropped to 400 and watch him squirm (but but but thats not fair to smaller schools...). Watched him do that at least 100 times on here. It's easy to be the big fish in a small pond and tell everyone else they "need to just get better" but when the shoe gets placed on the other foot its a different ball game.

And before the rest of the Riverheads fans jump to his defense I've already stated I could not care less about Riverheads enrollment. I stand behind my point that cut off should be 400 and that is it. Riverheads would do fine at D2 as would some of the other schools that would get caught moving up. Just dont believe they'd win a title there.. but hey, then I guess we could use the "just gotta get better" thing, huh?
Why not have the cutoff at 375 or 350 or even 300. What about 250? Heck lets do 399. Its ridiculous. You dont like a certain team winning so you want to change the enrollment parameters?

Why not have the cutoff at 375 or 350 or even 300. What about 250? Heck lets do 399. Its ridiculous. You dont like a certain team winning so you want to change the enrollment parameters?

Hell, why not make the cutoff 1200? Like I say, easy to be the big fish in a small pond but when that shoe gets placed on the other foot it's not so cool anymore.

The mere mention of a hypothetical cut off of 400 is enough to bother some of you.

Last edited:
Whatever "cutoffs" may exist in any given classification, some of you folks never seem to understand that enrollment in any given school can change on a daily basis, sometimes two or three times a day. New families move in, old families move out, kids go to live with grandparents, you name it, life changes it.

Therefore the question of enrollment for any school simply HAS to be based on "average" numbers. It is ludicrous to assume that any school would start out its school year with EXACTLY X number of students and keep that same number from August to May.

A few posts ago, I reported to you that Riverheads graduated 115 this year, which would seem to indicate that yes, they had "somewhere in the range of 460" on any given day during the 2018-19 school year. Does that mean that maybe they had (gasp!) 477 one day in mid-February? If so, should they have been expected to call the VHSL that very day and DEMAND to be re-classified?

If you believe something that ridiculous, then you would also believe that if the Thompson Triplets moved away the next day because Dad got a new job, and the "new" enrollment figure was 474, then RHS should have been expected to make ANOTHER call to the VHSL. I can just see the headlines now........"High School in Virginia changes classification 59 times in one school year."

The point of my exaggerated little story is that these figures are AVERAGES and there simply has to be documentation at each and every school in the state to support the averages that they report. And you can bet that the VHSL checks.

Therefore, my personal dander is raised on those occasions, as we saw today, when someone blatantly accuses Riverheads of falsifying their figures, when the accuser lives 200 or more miles away and has absolutely nothing to base his accusation on but jealousy.

Back on topic, Casto is back along with many assistants so the band plays on. I am hopeful that we see some different matchups during the postseason if we are fortunate enough to get there. I would love to have some more Eastern teams make the trip to the hayfield and get the full experience.

Back on topic, Casto is back along with many assistants so the band plays on. I am hopeful that we see some different matchups during the postseason if we are fortunate enough to get there. I would love to have some more Eastern teams make the trip to the hayfield and get the full experience.
Actually I expect to lol ! Hey lunch on you right? Don’t be surprise if you end up in the flat lands in November

Hell, why not make the cutoff 1200? Like I say, easy to be the big fish in a small pond but when that shoe gets placed on the other foot it's not so cool anymore.

The mere mention of a hypothetical cut off of 400 is enough to bother some of you.
It wouldnt bother me at all if it werent for a case of sour grapes. Northampton high school has almost exactly the same enrollment as Riverheads but I have never seen a post that wants them to play 2A. Why not? Enrollment is enrollment!!! Everybodies fine with them playing 1A. So dont tell me it has anything to do with enrollment. Its all because Riverheads is a top notch football program and the jealousy on here is astounding. Gotta love all the haters!!!

Reactions: bulldog1150
The Riverheads schedule this year will have so many changes it will be unrecognizable. This will be mainly because of the mass exodus of teams from the Shenandoah to the Bull Run. As discussed at the time, Riverheads really had to scrounge around to find games and as a result, there will be many new names on the schedule and many long trips to and from RHS over the next two year cycle.

All indications are that the team will be formidable again, and we now know that the coaching staff will be intact. And at least some of these new opponents will be challenges that are in higher classifications. Bottom line......we could learn quite a bit about the Gladiator program over these next two seasons

longtimerhsfan..."And you can bet that the VHSL checks".

I couldn't care less about Riverheads enrollment numbers but I'll take that bet...the VHSL does not have the resources or desire to do this. It is on the honor system.

Straight from the VHSL site:

"For classification purposes, the membership of a school shall be the March 31 average daily membership (ADM) figures submitted by school divisions to the State Department of Education for grades 9, 10, 11, and 12."

The VHSL is not going to question the veracity of the school divisions or the DOE.

longtimerhsfan..."And you can bet that the VHSL checks".

I couldn't care less about Riverheads enrollment numbers but I'll take that bet...the VHSL does not have the resources or desire to do this. It is on the honor system.

Straight from the VHSL site:

"For classification purposes, the membership of a school shall be the March 31 average daily membership (ADM) figures submitted by school divisions to the State Department of Education for grades 9, 10, 11, and 12."

The VHSL is not going to question the veracity of the school divisions or the DOE.
Some need to go on CNBC with all the Trump haters ! lol

Lets break it up into 100s 30 champions... everyone get a trophy ---

#quitcrying

Tough talk until the cutoff would put Riverheads in a division where they would not win a title. The mere mention of a theoretical cutoff of 400 thereby putting Riverheads in D2 is enough to freak some of you Riverheads fans out.

@mmqp, I am glad you keep saying it over and over so it becomes more true.

Please use the search function and find a thread on here by a Riverheads poster griping while in 2A about being the smallest school and enrollment being the reason for a loss. Hint, you won’t find it.

Only a handful of teams beat those teams and I don’t recall anyone ever pulling the crying act that several on here do about what division we are in. We got beat by better teams 3 out of 4 years.

If the enrollment argument that some are so passionate about matter so much, I am surprised that the governing body hasn’t made additional changes to get things more fair across the board. It’s always a football discussion and Windsor never comes up in the talk because they don’t compete for and win championships.

Everyone just be honest and say that you don’t like the winning and if they got rolled every time it wouldn’t even be a topic on this board. Do we ever hear about it on the basketball board where RHS is good but not dominant?

The water jug is full of haterade so drink away. There’s plenty to go around......

@mmqp, I am glad you keep saying it over and over so it becomes more true.

Please use the search function and find a thread on here by a Riverheads poster griping while in 2A about being the smallest school and enrollment being the reason for a loss. Hint, you won’t find it.

Only a handful of teams beat those teams and I don’t recall anyone ever pulling the crying act that several on here do about what division we are in. We got beat by better teams 3 out of 4 years.

If the enrollment argument that some are so passionate about matter so much, I am surprised that the governing body hasn’t made additional changes to get things more fair across the board. It’s always a football discussion and Windsor never comes up in the talk because they don’t compete for and win championships.

Everyone just be honest and say that you don’t like the winning and if they got rolled every time it wouldn’t even be a topic on this board. Do we ever hear about it on the basketball board where RHS is good but not dominant?

The water jug is full of haterade so drink away. There’s plenty to go around......

@RedPrideNation_RollPride Why does it bother you so much that I even bring up a cut off for D1 at 400? There has to be a reason for it. And the "trophy for everyone" accusation doesnt fly with me as there should only be, at the most, four state champions for football. So in my model will a very small school win a title? Yes. But that doesnt mean everyone is going to get a title. Not even close. I'm even down with pouring in the private schools and doing away with the VISAA titles and having even less champions across the state.

I do have a feeling the "big fish, small pond" accusation is accurate for your constant concerns over a mere theoretical model that I propose on here. But dont worry, I doubt it will ever come to fruition as the VHSL isnt about to cut out two of their 6 title games. Perhaps we will even have more title games in the future, though as long as it benefits Riverheads I doubt we will see the "title for everyone" accusation that you and Joke above keep mentioning.

Apparently you missed my point. I have not and will not care what division the Gladiators play in. I stand there and cheer either way and happen to agree it’s a broken system. I just take umbrage with anyone that only points to football and RHS as the be all end all of what’s wrong with the system. Make it 4 divisions or 3 divisions, I don’t really care but make a decision. Football is the primary driver for high school sports but I am pretty sure if the enrollment issue was as bad as made out to be then RHS would win in all sports. There have been several plans laid out on these boards that would be better than what we have. Thing is we don’t control these things, it’s the wonderful VHSL which is looking at gate as much or more than anything else.

Apparently you missed my point. I have not and will not care what division the Gladiators play in. I stand there and cheer either way and happen to agree it’s a broken system. I just take umbrage with anyone that only points to football and RHS as the be all end all of what’s wrong with the system. Make it 4 divisions or 3 divisions, I don’t really care but make a decision. Football is the primary driver for high school sports but I am pretty sure if the enrollment issue was as bad as made out to be then RHS would win in all sports. There have been several plans laid out on these boards that would be better than what we have. Thing is we don’t control these things, it’s the wonderful VHSL which is looking at gate as much or more than anything else.

I do not look at Riverheads as the end-all, be-all for football or any other sport for that matter. I have given you guys congratulations each and every season since you stepped back down to 1A and have said repeatedly that you guys have won fair and square.

I have been all about a cut off of 400 for well over ten years now and probably a whole lot longer than that. Most folks on here like the idea, even had people from up in Maryland (Fort Hill) fans who wish for such a model considering all of the really small schools up there dropped their programs a quarter of a century or more ago. The one constant fanbase that actually does take exception with it are a handful of Riverheads fans.

I do not look at Riverheads as the end-all, be-all for football or any other sport for that matter. I have given you guys congratulations each and every season since you stepped back down to 1A and have said repeatedly that you guys have won fair and square.

I have been all about a cut off of 400 for well over ten years now and probably a whole lot longer than that. Most folks on here like the idea, even had people from up in Maryland (Fort Hill) fans who wish for such a model considering all of the really small schools up there dropped their programs a quarter of a century or more ago. The one constant fanbase that actually does take exception with it are a handful of Riverheads fans.

Your memory is probably better than mine, and you would certainly remember it as you are the one that is proposing it, but I really don't remember fans saying anything about 400. It may be implied from replies, and I certainly don't care where they are, in fact a few years ago I wish they had been in 2a after the trash talk from you know who about SD losing in semis, but I honestly don't remember seeing them saying anything directly about 400

Your memory is probably better than mine, and you would certainly remember it as you are the one that is proposing it, but I really don't remember fans saying anything about 400. It may be implied from replies, and I certainly don't care where they are, in fact a few years ago I wish they had been in 2a after the trash talk from you know who about SD losing in semis, but I honestly don't remember seeing them saying anything directly about 400

Nah Man, so for years I've proposed a system where <400 is 1A, 401-750 is 2A 751-1450 is 3A and 1451 and above is 4A. With very few exceptions (2 or 3 in 1A and 1 or 2 in 4A) there would never be a situation where a school is forced to play another school over 2X the size of them. Anyway, I have pushed for such a set up going back to before the current alignment, which was close to 10 years ago now I believe. It's not something the VHSL would ever adopt because, like I say, they're more likely to expand to 8 titles than they are to retract back to 4.

Anyway, what you'll find is the one dude on here saying teams just "need to get better" has a real issue with moving Riverheads up to 2A. I do not get it, especially considering the fact that they held their own in their time in 2A. Sure, no titles, but they just "needed to get better" I suppose. I'm always amused that I get accused of a "title for all" mentality when I actually am all for cutting it back to only 4 titles.

Off the subject here but I missed your reply last week about my original post in this thread. I hope you and your family had a wonderful Memorial Day. We went over into DC to watch the Memorial Day parade which is something I'd recommend anyone and everyone check out sometime. The most meaningful and emotional tribute I've ever had a chance to see.

Last edited:
On some actual football news. Looks like Riverheads might be getting another player comparable to the size of Big Mike. Sophomore transfer from Liberty High School in the 6’3” 330 range. Since we lost a few lineman to graduation if he comes will be a welcome addition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT