ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Thurman out at HHS

colonel 72

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 30, 2010
I just saw on 5A that coach Thurman was fired at HHS heading into playoffs. This is an odd time to fire a coach on the eve of playoffs ! Anyone know anything? GTown have you any info?

According to the local newspaper up here, the AD wouldn't comment on whether it was a resignation or firing. So maybe he was fired, but that hasn't been confirmed. He's just no longer the coach.

The timing does seem weird. Plus they finished third in a pretty competitive six-team district. Something tells me there is more to the story.

The timing does seem weird. Plus they finished third in a pretty competitive six-team district. Something tells me there is more to the story.
Aside from the story of coach Thurman how do you guys feel about a school system refusing to say why someone was let go? We always here the same response, it's a personnel matter. But it is a PUBLIC school and the teacher/coach is paid with our tax dollars. If there is an ongoing criminal investigation going on I get it but they will usually say if that is the case. If someone decides to fire a coach should it not be a matter of public record. This could help protect the coach from wild rumor and innuendo. I know Chris Thurman and not knowing all the facts it seems to me he deserves better than the usual it's a personnel matter. But as i said I dont know all the facts and it seems we will not know unless Chris talks.

The valley district has been horrid for a decade now... Broadway/TA/Waynesboro/ are really bad

being 5A and everyone else is 3A and finishing 3rd where 3 teams have combined like 5 wins is not good. :)

Aside from the story of coach Thurman how do you guys feel about a school system refusing to say why someone was let go? We always here the same response, it's a personnel matter. But it is a PUBLIC school and the teacher/coach is paid with our tax dollars. If there is an ongoing criminal investigation going on I get it but they will usually say if that is the case. If someone decides to fire a coach should it not be a matter of public record. This could help protect the coach from wild rumor and innuendo. I know Chris Thurman and not knowing all the facts it seems to me he deserves better than the usual it's a personnel matter. But as i said I dont know all the facts and it seems we will not know unless Chris talks.

It is illegal for a school system to disclose anything contained in an employee's personnel file that is not criminal in nature, and even then, it would be handed over to the police. At that point, it would be up to the police/commonwealth atty to disclose information.

If an employee is fired or asked to resign for any reason (insubordination, not following policy, etc...) short of a crime, that is a private matter, part of their personnel file and can't legally be disclosed.

I know of several cases over the years, in SWVA, when a school employee was let go with no explanation or a made up one and the public gets in an uproar only to find out later that there was a very valid reason for the dismissal/resignation. I can think of MULTIPLE cases that involved drugs, theft, stalking, bullying(students and staff), harassment, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, not reporting abuse and cheating(SOL tests).

If a public school system is letting an employee go, there's a good reason for it. It is incredibly difficult to find good teachers, coaches and staff in general. Sometimes it's hard to just find a "body" to fill a position, let alone a good employee.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title22.1/chapter15/section22.1-295.1/

It is illegal for a school system to disclose anything contained in an employee's personnel file that is not criminal in nature, and even then, it would be handed over to the police. At that point, it would be up to the police/commonwealth atty to disclose information.

If an employee is fired or asked to resign for any reason (insubordination, not following policy, etc...) short of a crime, that is a private matter, part of their personnel file and can't legally be disclosed.

I know of several cases over the years, in SWVA, when a school employee was let go with no explanation or a made up one and the public gets in an uproar only to find out later that there was a very valid reason for the dismissal/resignation. I can think of MULTIPLE cases that involved drugs, theft, stalking, bullying(students and staff), harassment, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, not reporting abuse and cheating(SOL tests).

If a public school system is letting an employee go, there's a good reason for it. It is incredibly difficult to find good teachers, coaches and staff in general. Sometimes it's hard to just find a "body" to fill a position, let alone a good employee.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title22.1/chapter15/section22.1-295.1/
I have to respect that and you have done your research or already knew the law. Thanks. I was implying that schools may use that to hide behind some admin. caving in to loud mouth parents with influence. I guess Chris will eventually get his side of the story out. Thanks again.

Reactions: Union_Fan
I have to respect that and you have done your research or already knew the law. Thanks. I was implying that schools may use that to hide behind some admin. caving in to loud mouth parents with influence. I guess Chris will eventually get his side of the story out. Thanks again.
That happens too. School board/board of supervisors members often unjustly use their influence to get rid of coaches/teachers as well because their family member wants/needs a job. I even knew of one situation where the employee offered to waive all privacy rights, and the system still would not release info out of fear of a round about lawsuit.

Out of all the cases I'm aware of where there was controversy in a firing/resignation, the truth ALWAYS came out, one way or another.

Gretna needs to get on phone ASAP and get him back. Some of his old players off state champ teams were telling me this last night. They hoping and praying we could get him back.

Reactions: Lakelife
Goat:

I think "horrid" might be a bit of a stretch. After all, Staunton (then R E Lee of course) almost brought home a state title year before last, Spotswood is in the mix every year, and I can remember deep post-season runs (although granted some of them have been a ways back) for every other school in the district, even including this year's doormats Broadway and Waynesboro. Yes there were some hard times this year, but I don't think that means the whole district is in the crapper.

Gretna needs to get on phone ASAP and get him back. Some of his old players off state champ teams were telling me this last night. They hoping and praying we could get him back.
His wife is from that area and maybe his mom moved there. They probably pay better than Pittsylvania County so what would be the inducement to come back here? Remember he left of his own accord. He will probably get a coaching job at another school in the area. His record there was 49-45 according to paper and made playoffs 4 out of 9 years. Not exactly stellar.

His wife is from that area and maybe his mom moved there. They probably pay better than Pittsylvania County so what would be the inducement to come back here? Remember he left of his own accord. He will probably get a coaching job at another school in the area. His record there was 49-45 according to paper and made playoffs 4 out of 9 years. Not exactly stellar.
Gretna might be unique in that we have five states in football but have had only one coach with what could be called a real resume. Robert Prunty, Rob Senseney,Chris Thurman and Cole Simpson were all looking for a coaching gig. Senseney may have had a year or so as head man at Waynesboro. Thurman was not teaching at the time he was brought on board Gretnas staff as D head man. But they all have had success.
Kevin Saunders DID have a solid resume as a head coach at various schools but was usually at odds with his schools administration and fan base and he was so toxic that he was coaching in Eastern Kentucky when a friend got him and Gretna to talking. There were those who were wary of him because of his reputation on and off the field but his coaching credentials were fairly solid.
Now Gretna is a small 2A school in an area where the only prospects we seem to have are uranium mining, hemp growing and solar farms. If present coach Cole Simpson were to leave, whom do you think Gretna could entice to come here. Hiring a good coach and a solid person in the classroom is not as easy as the casual fan might think.

Thurman was 47-4 in four seasons at Gretna and two state titles. Saunders carries William Campbell to state championship in his first head coaching job in late 90’s. Next coaches JJ Kelly to two straight playoffs. He then goes to Shelby Valley Kentucky where they make playoffs in his first year and get first playoff win in forever in second season. He came to Gretna went 49-14 in five seasons with a state championship and an appearance in another. Then he goes to Marietta Georgia where he carries them to first playoff appearance in his first year. Current Gretna coach coached three years at Chatham, winning 3 games. Since In Gretna is currently 32-31 in six seasons with one playoff win. Wow now there is some resume comparisons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lakelife
Colonel72 said, “...Hiring a good coach and a solid person in the classroom is not as easy as the casual fan might think.”[/QUOTE]

You got that right Colonel! Madison County hired a new HC who teaches at another school (Orange County).

Thurman was 47-4 in four seasons at Gretna and two state titles. Saunders carries William Campbell to state championship in his first head coaching job in late 90’s. Next coaches JJ Kelly to two straight playoffs. He then goes to Shelby Valley Kentucky where they make playoffs in his first year and get first playoff win in forever in second season. He came to Gretna went 49-14 in five seasons with a state championship and an appearance in another. Then he goes to Marietta Georgia where he carries them to first playoff appearance in his first year. Current Gretna coach coached three years at Chatham, winning 3 games. Since In Gretna is currently 32-31 in six seasons with one playoff win. Wow now there is some resume comparisons.
There you go again with the negative stuff. First of all Cole Simpson was not the HEAD coach at Chatham for three years. He was an assitant. You implied he was head coach. Saunders was a great coach who probably did more with less than Prunty, Senseney and Thurman. Simpson has done ok considering he started out with a 1-9 season. As for other former Gretna coaches Prunty has done great in college ranks. Senseney has done very well in Va and NC never winning it all but has done well and has gotten close. Thurman has not duplicated his success at Gretna with Virginia High nor Harrisonburg.

Goat:

I think "horrid" might be a bit of a stretch. After all, Staunton (then R E Lee of course) almost brought home a state title year before last, Spotswood is in the mix every year, and I can remember deep post-season runs (although granted some of them have been a ways back) for every other school in the district, even including this year's doormats Broadway and Waynesboro. Yes there were some hard times this year, but I don't think that means the whole district is in the crapper.

HORRID = The current 6 schools COMBINED playoff wins as a district is 3 for the past 4 years...… that's brutal

Lee High/Staunton had 4 itself in 2017...…

The local 2A and 1A schools have routinely taken the valley to the woodshed the past decade more times than not

ADs and Principals are taught to say, 1 of 2 things when firing a coach:

"It's a personnel matter" or
"We decided to go in different direction"

But I think if a coach is paid with taxpayer money, the taxpayers have a right to know.

Gretna might be unique in that we have five states in football but have had only one coach with what could be called a real resume. Robert Prunty, Rob Senseney,Chris Thurman and Cole Simpson were all looking for a coaching gig. Senseney may have had a year or so as head man at Waynesboro. Thurman was not teaching at the time he was brought on board Gretnas staff as D head man. But they all have had success.
Kevin Saunders DID have a solid resume as a head coach at various schools but was usually at odds with his schools administration and fan base and he was so toxic that he was coaching in Eastern Kentucky when a friend got him and Gretna to talking. There were those who were wary of him because of his reputation on and off the field but his coaching credentials were fairly solid.
Now Gretna is a small 2A school in an area where the only prospects we seem to have are uranium mining, hemp growing and solar farms. If present coach Cole Simpson were to leave, whom do you think Gretna could entice to come here. Hiring a good coach and a solid person in the classroom is not as easy as the casual fan might think.

It is my understanding that when Coach Saunders left, a coach from a Richmond or Petersburg area school applied for the job, but was not selected. Also heard he had a good resume. .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT