ADVERTISEMENT

Clarke County vs Goochland

Oct 9, 2015
To me this game pits two good football teams against one another. Both can play solid defense and can run the ball very well. Keys for Clarke is to establish Rogers early and often. Wallace will have to be a force on the defensive side of the ball. Only seeing Goochland once this year I dont knoe enough about them to put any thing out about the, except the stud running back from friday night. He is a beast and very hard to bring down. I have to go with the team from the BullRun to pull the upset 28-21

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
This will easily be the best team Goochland has faced this year. This game is long overdue for these two programs, both have had a lot of success over the years but I don't think they have faced each other in a very long time. From what I've heard Clarke runs the ball 90% of their plays which will give Goochland's defense some trouble if they can't stop the run better than they did last week.

Reactions: bullrun25
I haven't seen Goochland play, but have watched Clarke numerous times this year. Clarke has had the tendency to lose focus and not play with intensity at times. Also, other than the state title game last December, its been a long time since Clarke traveled for a playoff game, so the new environment brings with it a greater need to keep up the intensity and focus. I see two evenly matched hard hitting teams which will play a very good and entertaining game, but one which Goochland wins 28-14.

If Clarke surpasses 300 yards rushing then I like their chances to win, but if they are forced to pass, then Goochland wins easily.

Comparing the scores from both against Strasburg and RE Lee makes it look like an evenly matched game. Probably come down to whether Clarke can stay with their running game, or has to pass.

Clarke is very average. I have not seen Goochland - so I cannot even begin to speculate on the outcome of this game. Fans in 2A are focused on the 2A west match-ups - thats where the real action is!

Clarke is very average. I have not seen Goochland - so I cannot even begin to speculate on the outcome of this game. Fans in 2A are focused on the 2A west match-ups - thats where the real action is!
Clarke's record over the last 3 seasons is 34-5 with a record of 5-2 in the playoffs (10-2, 2-0) this year. Several wins over schools in higher classifications than 2A. I'd rate that a little better than average

@JHHSPRIDE1 Since 2011 Handley has a record of 21-41. In that span they got beatdown by Clarke twice. Since 2011 Clarke is 59-15 with one state title game under their belt against a very good Appo team that would have destroyed Handley as well. So if Clarke is Average what does that make Handley a pop warner team

Reactions: Mr.Moe
I think Clarke should be able to run the ball against Goochland since strasburg had success running it. I could be wrong but Clarkes running game is more potent than strasburgs.

This game could be much closer than some are speculating so far. Clarke has played down to some of its competition especially early on while Goochland has looked to have gotten consistently better as the season progressed. That said, Clarke has the weapons and O to challenge the perceived weakness of Goochland. In the other matchup, I think Goochland has a small advantage versus the Clarke D. All that adds up to a slightly higher scoring game in the neighborhood of 35-31 with it being a pickem on the winner. Good luck to both and safe travels.

Reactions: Mr.Moe
I'm not sure the Strasburg game will be a good indicator of Clarke being able to run the ball this Friday. Goochland will more than likely stack the box rather than running the defense they did last week. I still think Clarke will have success anyways. Key to this game is if Clarkes defense can match Goochlands speed and if Clarkes offense can wear down Goochland's defense.

@JHHSPRIDE1 Since 2011 Handley has a record of 21-41. In that span they got beatdown by Clarke twice. Since 2011 Clarke is 59-15 with one state title game under their belt against a very good Appo team that would have destroyed Handley as well. So if Clarke is Average what does that make Handley a pop warner team
Handley was never mentioned. Did he hurt your Bull Run feelings? This is why no one likes Clarke.

Reactions: OrangeandBlue25
I will amend my statement from earlier to say that the coaching staff at Goochland know how to game plan better than most of the teams in the state. Doesn't mean they always execute but they are certainly one of the better groups around at scheming to take away your strength.

I will amend my statement from earlier to say that the coaching staff at Goochland know how to game plan better than most of the teams in the state. Doesn't mean they always execute but they are certainly one of the better groups around at scheming to take away your strength.
I'd have to agree, despite not seeing goochland play yet, they are a team to beat every year come playoff time. Speaks volumes of the coaching staff over there. I would have to also say the same thing about Clarke, always well coached and well prepared...just not always fast enough...

Reactions: BullRunFootball
Welcome to the board Orange and Blue. Thumping a 2A school that, as noted above, has "Several wins over schools in higher classifications than 2A" certainly didn't prepare us.
Thanks Pioneer!

And I agree...that's why I would urge the Pioneers to continue past the berryville exit on 7 next year, scale the mountains, get deep into loudoun county and play those power houses. Just a thought...we used to do it for basketball, it yielded pretty great results.

Fellings were not hurt. Called Clarke Average when clearly they are constantly one of the last teams standing from our area. I provided facts to show clarke is not average. Goochland did what they were supposed to to strasburg last week and that was beat them. I thought it was going to be worse. As far as beating a 2A school isnt that what the higher classifications are supposed to do. Beat a good team in the playoffs past round 1 then maybe millbrook can talk but until that happens they are a good regular season team

Pioneer, the 4A board might be a more receptive group for discussing the schedule of 4A Millbrook. There has to be some reasons why Millbrook can't get over the 2nd round hurdle of the playoffs, but the 2A board is not going to provide any meaningful input.

Go figure---A Handley (4A) and Millbrook(4A) person bashing Clarke.......The funny thing is very seldom see other 2A schools get on here and do a lot bashing on any other schools but for some reason the trolls from bigger boards love to do it. :rolleyes:

Now as for Clarke vs. Goochland--

A game of 2 powerhouse programs in the 2A East Region and state (Union and Clarke fans respect each other after last years state semi-final as well--Clarke gained respect throughout the state after that game for those who still doubted) -- Should be a good game as both programs have good players and staffs. If you are still playing football over Thanksgiving it means you've had a great year as it is special to be still playing for all 8 schools left in the entire state. These 2 schools have had the pleasure to get this honor quite a bit over the past few years.

Good luck to all.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
Go figure---A Handley (4A) and Millbrook(4A) person bashing Clarke.......The funny thing is very seldom see other 2A schools get on here and do a lot bashing on any other schools but for some reason the trolls from bigger boards love to do it. :rolleyes:

Now as for Clarke vs. Goochland--

A game of 2 powerhouse programs in the 2A East Region and state (Union and Clarke fans respect each other after last years state semi-final as well--Clarke gained respect throughout the state after that game for those who still doubted) -- Should be a good game as both programs have good players and staffs. If you are still playing football over Thanksgiving it means you've had a great year as it is special to be still playing for all 8 schools left in the entire state. These 2 schools have had the pleasure to get this honor quite a bit over the past few years.

Good luck to all.
Should be an awesome game! It's funny to think, back in 07 when Clarke started this run, their first playoff game in over 16 years was at a DJ coles led goochland team. That game was an instant classic as well. I'm can imagine this will be the same type of affair.

Reactions: BullRunFootball
Handley was never mentioned. Did he hurt your Bull Run feelings? This is why no one likes Clarke.
It appears that you're the only one who doesn't like Clarke. Dunno why, Clarke is 2A while Millbrook is 4A. I'll say it again, Savon Smith is gonna be a terror for the next 2 years.

Should be an awesome game! It's funny to think, back in 07 when Clarke started this run, their first playoff game in over 16 years was at a DJ coles led goochland team. That game was an instant classic as well. I'm can imagine this will be the same type of affair.
Yeah, Clarke's feeder system has done very well getting kids ready. Heck, I'll even throw a bone to Frederick County because Hunter Rogers came from that program. Good thing for us he never went to Millbrook.

Reactions: Pioneer101
Yeah, Clarke's feeder system has done very well getting kids ready. Heck, I'll even throw a bone to Frederick County because Hunter Rogers came from that program. Good thing for us he never went to Millbrook.
Can't swear on it but I think Rogers played in the Clarke youth league along with many other Frederick County players. Makes the league good.

Yea, and I still think it could be improved! I would love to see a middle school team at JWMS. Maybe pioneer can chime in on this, but don't the Frederick county MS's have teams?

Yea, and I still think it could be improved! I would love to see a middle school team at JWMS. Maybe pioneer can chime in on this, but don't the Frederick county MS's have teams?
Very difficult to do a middle school team at Clarke as the school plays freshmen football. They already have to play the Frederick schools in bball (7th and 8th grade bball) and its a bad match up for the middle school. If anything--Clarke's middle school needs to be playing bball vs. "like" schools and not 4A. Many 8th graders for Clarke play on the 9th grade football team and that would hurt the actual high school program. The BRD does freshmen football and not JV as well.
Way easier for Frederick to do as their numbers are really high with enrollment and they don't have freshmen teams nor do they allow 8th graders to play in high school sports (JV). True numbers game between Clarke and Frederick County.

I agree - Handley is bad - doesn't have anything to do with the Clarke County - Goochland game. I never bashed Clarke County - just offered my assessment which is what I thought people do on this board. No need to get offended - I am entitled to my opinion on here just like you are. I have nothing against Clarke County by the way - I hope they win this weekend. Don't know anything about Goochland - so I have no idea of Clarke's chances. Good Luck.

I haven't seen Goochland play, but have watched Clarke numerous times this year. Clarke has had the tendency to lose focus and not play with intensity at times. Also, other than the state title game last December, its been a long time since Clarke traveled for a playoff game, so the new environment brings with it a greater need to keep up the intensity and focus. I see two evenly matched hard hitting teams which will play a very good and entertaining game, but one which Goochland wins 28-14.
Spot on score and analysis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT