Class 1 Championship

Who and why?

• Galax

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Essex

Votes: 29 60.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shew this is a tough one, I thought Essex was gonna handle Altavista, I did foresee Galax giving up as many points to Honaker. To me this is a true toss up. If, Essex would’ve blown out Altavista I’d of said Essex, if Galax would’ve completely shut down Honaker I’d of said Galax….neither really happened; other than lots of rain, which could’ve played a little into Galax/Honaker game. I really believe this one comes down to turnovers and penalties. If I had to put money on someone right now I’d take Galax-28 Essex-20. But who honestly knows.

I don’t see Galax putting up 28 points against. Low scoring game with Essex winning 22-10. The Galax running back has similarities to altavistas.

I think Galax wins. I have seen them play a few times this year. I think Tucker goes crazy and has like 4 touchdowns. They need to run him until he can not run any more. I think Galax throws the ball just to throw it sometimes, the QB has not looked like a natural thrower of the football to me yet but he is young. I also do not think he is a big run threat, but he is certainly capable of hitting an occasional big play especially if the WR is wide open. The heart of the team is the Ashworth kid he is solid and reliable on both ends. The WR #6 (Heath I think is his name), is shifty, fast, and fearless. I would even put in some wildcat with Tucker with some jet motion stuff to get Heath kid or to the outside or #8. Stretch them out some and see how Essex reacts. If Essex stops the run.. they win easy. They could probably stack the box if they think they have the players who can lock up outside. It is no secret that Galax wants to run so I would sell out to stop it and make them beat me another way. I plan on watching all the games in Salem Saturday and both should be fun to watch.

Having an explosive office is fun to watch ( depending on your point of view ) but a great defense wins championships. Essex has shown the best the defense of any team in D1 this year.

points allowed by each team...
Essex: 132
Galax: 294

As a trojan fan I'm a little bias but in any case I'm going with Essex.

Having an explosive office is fun to watch ( depending on your point of view ) but a great defense wins championships. Essex has shown the best the defense of any team in D1 this year.

137 points came against Radford, Graham, and Glenvar early in the season. With that said, I cannot imagine Galax winning this game.

Essex 38 - Galax 24

Out of the 132 allowed by Essex, 89 of those points were from 2 teams…Northumberland twice 54-35 & 54-26. The other was Lancaster 38-28. Five teams scored 6, 7, or 8 points, another 5 were shutouts and 1 was a FF.

Great to see these 2 teams in it as that red team has prevented these 2 schools from having multiple state championships over the last 7 years.
Agreed BGfootball95

Now that same 1A Red Team looks to prevent the best 2A teams from winning any state championships as well lol.

• Haha
Reactions: gwb16
Didn't poor Radford lose their last state championship game they played in to 1A team?

Dang.... ouch.

No wonder I forgot about that one....

I was thinking that the last state championship Radford played in was a 30-0 shellacking in Salem that those cats received from the Essex Trojans.

Top that, Big Red!

if Galax plays the first half, unlike Honaker game......They win..........If not they lose.............Can't mess around with this loaded Essex team.

Reactions: Optimal62

I doubt Essex has seen offenses like Graham, Radford, Honaker and to a lesser extent Glenvar. Take out the 2A teams and Galax allows 15 ppg.

Does Essex have better discipline than in years past? It always seemed like they'd get into penalty trouble vs. Riverheads or ditch running the ball at random times, even when it was working mind you, leading to costly turnovers.

Does Essex have better discipline than in years past? It always seemed like they'd get into penalty trouble vs. Riverheads or ditch running the ball at random times, even when it was working mind you, leading to costly turnovers.
This Essex team is very disciplined and they also are running the double wing now. They aren't the 4 wide offense of years past and major kudos to Coach Jones for adapting to fit his personnel.

Reactions: TS69 and MMQP 6.0
This Essex team is very disciplined and they also are running the double wing now. They aren't the 4 wide offense of years past and major kudos to Coach Jones for adapting to fit his personnel.
Good to hear.. should have scrapped that stuff years ago. Some big old men on those lines from what I recall. Hated to see them be so finesse.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT