Class 2 Championship

Who and Why

• Radford

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Riverheads

Votes: 28 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Riverheads, because Alcoa won the TN state title for their 9th in a row. I’d like to see Virginia stay #2 on the state title streak list.

Reactions: VolNation85
Radford has had a couple close games lately. Glenvar almost pulled off the upset after getting blown out in the regular season. Radford will have to score points to win this game. Riverheads will run,run run and hit someone up the seam. That eats up the clock and can wear down your defense

Radford has had a couple close games lately. Glenvar almost pulled off the upset after getting blown out in the regular season. Radford will have to score points to win this game. Riverheads will run,run run and hit someone up the seam. That eats up the clock and can wear down your defense

Radford will throw throw throw and then run Clark up the middle.

Should be fun.

Reactions: SFUWO
No one ever accused the VHSL upper echelons or those decision makers with Dr. in front of their names, making common sense decisions. But it’s that way out here in Tennessee also.

We can go on here and compare both programs, athletes from both, and say one is better than the other. Both got to this great moment by doing what they believe in. Seen RH in the past at Salem and really like what they do. Don’t know very much about Radford, However in my much younger days saw them play Gate City at Radford and to the best of my memories, was long ride back to Scott County.

Bottom line is this, whoever scores the most points will be state champion. Sad thing is 10/15/20 years from now no one will remember who the 2023 champion is, except us old die hards and the young men who go out there Saturday and do battle with each other. Good luck to both teams.

The sad thing is that only six groups of young men will feel like they completely fulfilled their potential by the end of the day on Saturday.

Only six teams get to bask in the knowledge that they accomplished what over 300 other teams were not able to accomplish. And that is one heck of an accomplishment.

But the great thing for all involved is that they get to start over again soon and the rest of us get to enjoy the show.

Last edited:
I hope it is a great game, two deserving teams. However, I would be shocked if Riverheads does not win. They are always harder to beat as the season goes on. They have key seniors at key positions, multi year starters. Cayden is the best sportsman, least cocky star player, who has every reason to be cocky that I have seen at Riverheads.

Big thing for me is that it is very hard to beat Riverheads when you have no experience against them. Yes, some other teams run similar offenses but, Riverheads just does it better then anyone else in 1A or 2A. The hits will just keep coming, 3 yard runs turn into 6 yard runs, then 20 yard runs. If you over adjust they will burn you with a pass. Everyone thinks they are vulnerable to the pass. You can have some success on passes but at some point they are going to pick you off, and they hardly ever turn the ball over. Their defense may be their strongest side of the ball but their offense will grind you down.

They are rarely the most talented team of individuals win you get deep in the playoffs. They have a few big studs but they get amazing play out of 145-165 pound players playing D-line, linebacker, fullback, over achiever types. They will hit you from start to finish.

Again, good luck to both schools, both have earned this shot at a title.

I hope it is a great game, two deserving teams. However, I would be shocked if Riverheads does not win. They are always harder to beat as the season goes on. They have key seniors at key positions, multi year starters. Cayden is the best sportsman, least cocky star player, who has every reason to be cocky that I have seen at Riverheads.

Big thing for me is that it is very hard to beat Riverheads when you have no experience against them. Yes, some other teams run similar offenses but, Riverheads just does it better then anyone else in 1A or 2A. The hits will just keep coming, 3 yard runs turn into 6 yard runs, then 20 yard runs. If you over adjust they will burn you with a pass. Everyone thinks they are vulnerable to the pass. You can have some success on passes but at some point they are going to pick you off, and they hardly ever turn the ball over. Their defense may be their strongest side of the ball but their offense will grind you down.

They are rarely the most talented team of individuals win you get deep in the playoffs. They have a few big studs but they get amazing play out of 145-165 pound players playing D-line, linebacker, fullback, over achiever types. They will hit you from start to finish.

Again, good luck to both schools, both have earned this shot at a title.
Very well said ! I may add that new teams to the Championship game often get caught up in all the hoopla and loose focus on the task at hand . With Riverheads it's just the last game on their schedule. GOOD LUCK to both teams .

Reactions: Bama1985
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT