4. Western Albemarle
5. Goochland
6. Lafayette
7. Charlottesville
8. Lakeland
9. Christiansburg
10. Broadway

HM - Northside, Norcom, Phoebus

We can all debate the order but they've almost nailed the top ten teams IMO. I'd swap Cburg with Northside.

My dad officiates in Roanoke and has had Cave Spring, LB and Northside this year. He thinks Northside by seasons end can beat Cave Spring but says CS was better in Nov/Dec. He came up to watch us in the Holiday tourney Championship vs Albemarle and thinks we can play with both teams.

Hopewell and Spotswood are my favorites. Obviously I'm biased to my Knights, whom I think have the talent to get to VCU if they stay healthy and humble. George Wythe, Lord Botetourt and LCA are three other teams I could see shaking things up.

How you guys feeling about Class 3 this season? What have you seen from some of these teams?

Reactions: blackknight_pride
VaPreps Holiday Top 10 Rankings (12/25)

1. Cave Spring
2. Spotswood
3. Hopewell
4. Western Albemarle
5. Goochland
6. Lafayette
7. Charlottesville
8. Lakeland
9. Christiansburg
10. Broadway

We can all debate the order but they've almost nailed the top ten teams IMO. I'd swap Cburg with Northside.

My dad officiates in Roanoke and has had Cave Spring, LB and Northside this year. He thinks Northside by seasons end can beat Cave Spring but says CS was better in Nov/Dec. He came up to watch us in the Holiday tourney Championship vs Albemarle and thinks we can play with both teams.

Hopewell and Spotswood are my favorites. Obviously I'm biased to my Knights, whom I think have the talent to get to VCU if they stay healthy and humble. George Wythe, Lord Botetourt and LCA are three other teams I could see shaking things up.

How you guys feeling about Class 3 this season? What have you seen from some of these teams?

Not that rankings matter...but I am a bit surprised we aren't ahead of Western. We've gone 2-0 against Albemarle where they split, we beat Orange by 21 on the road while they won by 11 at home. Doesn't matter, all will be sorted out on Tuesday...

I wouldn't sleep on Lafayette. This is a big week in 3C with Charlottesville vs Western and then Western goes to Louisa on Friday. Since Lafayette beat Louisa earlier this year that game will tell us a lot about just how good Lafayette, and Western are.

3C will be a dogfight come playoff time. I wouldn't sleep on those teams out east that have bad records either, Phoebus and Norcom will have a say before the season is done.

Reactions: one man
VaPreps Holiday Top 10 Rankings (12/25)

1. Cave Spring
2. Spotswood
3. Hopewell
4. Western Albemarle
5. Goochland
6. Lafayette
7. Charlottesville
8. Lakeland
9. Christiansburg
10. Broadway

5e1f79588712e.image.jpg
CHS- Woodstock is #1 in 3A

5e1f79588712e.image.jpg
CHS- Woodstock is #1 in 3A
What offers does this kid have? I'm hearing good things about him. I haven't seen in person though. I did find some clips. A 6'8 kid that can step out and shoot the 3 could be a match up problem. How good is the supporting cast?

Below are 2018 (10th Grade) clips of Isiah Todd formerly of John Marshall (I believe they were still 3A at this point). Just wanted to see how the Strothers kid compare to other 3A big men in the last couple of years.

Last edited:
VHSL Hoops Top Tens - Entering 1/17/20 Action
Matthew Hatfield • VirginiaPreps
Publisher
@hatfieldsports

Class 3 Top Ten:
Rank School Record (thru 1/16)
1 Cave Spring 12-0
2 Hopewell 10-2
3 Spotswood 8-3
4 Lafayette 12-1
5 Goochland 7-1
6 Western Albemarle 11-2
7 Charlottesville 12-1
8 Central-Woodstock 11-0
9 Lakeland 9-3
10 Northside 10-4

Last edited:
Spotswood, Charlottesville, Western Albemarle,,,,, All in 3C. Throw in talented LCA team,,,well coached Broadway,,, and better than their record Heritage.

Position for seeding down the stretch will be big. As of now I think it is:

1. Charlottesville
2. Western Albemarle
3. Spotswood
4. LCA
5. Broadway
6. Heritage

And then either Fort Defiance or Wilson Memorial will be in automatically as one of the bottoms seeds. That last spot I want to say will probably go to either Rockbridge County, Fluvanna, or Waynesboro, but I'm not sure.

So it's George Mason's or Central's region to lose? Who will be a challenge?

Those are two front-runners. There's also Goochland, they are 14-2 and Top 10 in Class 3. A lot of people also would say Armstrong could cause problems, they don't have a great record but have played a lot of good Richmond teams that are bigger than them, so they will be battle-tested.

Those are two front-runners. There's also Goochland, they are 14-2 and Top 10 in Class 3. A lot of people also would say Armstrong could cause problems, they don't have a great record but have played a lot of good Richmond teams that are bigger than them, so they will be battle-tested.
I saw Armstrong a few weeks back.. If they were in the Danville/Lynchburg/Roanoke area, they’d be undefeated.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Well I Skyline just knocked off George Mason. So are they a challenger for the region title?

Skyline can play as well as anyone in the region, but Central has been more consistent. I can see Skyline upsetting someone in the region tournament, but perhaps not continuing the run to win the region. I guess we will find out more on Friday when they host Central.

VHSL Top Tens - Entering 2/7/20 Action
Class 3 Top Ten:
Rank School Record (thru 2/6)
1Cave Spring 17-2
2 Hopewell 15-3
3 Lafayette 16-2
4 Spotswood 14-5
5 Charlottesville 17-2
6 Western Albemarle 15-5
7 Northside 15-6
8 Lakeland 12-5
9 Central-Woodstock 16-2