Class 5 Championship

Who and Why

• Stone Bridge

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Maury

Votes: 33 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
MAURY and you know why......lol I expect it to be close for a quarter or so but once maury gets ahead 14 and forces SB to go fully spread they are definitely gonna tee off with pressure left right and up the middle
What agibbs757 said. Too much overpowering athleticism from Maury.

Ive said it since they beat us in September, nobody is beating Maury. Too much firepower!! They’ve only trailed once this year that was against us before turnovers changed the game in the 3rd quarter. Maury’s MO is to force you to pass idk if that’s some Stone Bridge does well but I do know if they lineup run the entire game it will get ugly quick. Stone Bridge will have to score in other areas outside of the offense and try to win the TOP. Force Maury into 3rd & longs and don’t let them get the momentum if they obtain that look out. I know Coach Thompson will have those guys prepared but I’ve seen up close the firepower of the Commodores. This is also a revenge game from 2021 with that being said I’m going 35-14 Maury

I’ll just say this: Coach McCain really wanted this matchup. I expect Maury to try to embarrass Stone Bridge in Charlottesville this weekend.
I would expect Maury to try as well. I think Maury will win but Idk if it will be a complete blowout. SB has played in 11 State Championship games with Coach Thompson and have only lost 1 of those games by more than 2 scores. They find a way to be competitive, even when they have the lesser athletic team.

Last edited:
Reactions: obguthr
I would expect Maury to try as well. I think Maury will win but Idk if it will be a complete blowout. SB has played in 11 State Championship games with Coach Thompson and have only lost 1 of those games by more than 2 scores. They find a way to be competitive, even when they have the lesser athletic team.
Well add this as another loss by more than 2 scores. I got Maury by 4+ TDs…remember SB coach and McCain got history!

Reactions: VolNation85
I’d expect Maury by 28 or more. Stone bridge is a good team, but not a great one. The bulldogs will play tough and be unafraid. Great program and Maury probably won’t be the best team they've seen this year, but just don’t think they’ve got the athletes to hang for 4 quarters.

I’d expect Maury by 28 or more. Stone bridge is a good team, but not a great one. The bulldogs will play tough and be unafraid. Great program and Maury probably won’t be the best team they've seen this year, but just don’t think they’ve got the athletes to hang for 4 quarters.
What team did they play that you believe was better than Maury? Just curious, nothing meant by this question.

Well add this as another loss by more than 2 scores. I got Maury by 4+ TDs…remember SB coach and McCain got history!
No doubt! But the coaches aren't playing. LOL

I say that to say, I wouldn't be surprised in Maury won by 4+ TDs but I wouldn't be surprised if SB kept it within 14 points either.

No doubt! But the coaches aren't playing. LOL

I say that to say, I wouldn't be surprised in Maury won by 4+ TDs but I wouldn't be surprised if SB kept it within 14 points either.
Yeah but those Maury boys play for their coaches. Definitely a family atmosphere over there on Shirley Ave. I’d be beyond shocked if SB is within 14 points.

Reactions: VolNation85
Well maury did beat Wise who was the best public school in maury by 20 so highly doubt the QO and probably could beat GC
As good as Maury is, and I give them their credit, I could see them beating QO, but I’m not giving them good counsel. GC is different,and I’m talking top 25 different!

What team did they play that you believe was better than Maury? Just curious, nothing meant by this question.
GC. I’d favor Maury over QO and Martinsburg, but GC is the best team in the WCAC. I don’t think GC is running Maury off the field, but I’m still giving the benefit of the doubt to the elite private.

CalPreps and Massey Ratings have the DAWGS (Martinsburg) as favorites over Highland Springs
After the way, they were embarrassed on their home field last year,they don’t ever wanna see us there again. Why do you think the coach had us taken off the schedule? 🤫🤫🤫🤫

it was cowardly and the wrong decision for martinsburg to drop HS. Would’ve been a very good game this year imo.

it was cowardly and the wrong decision for martinsburg to drop HS. Would’ve been a very good game this year imo.
Personally, I’d like to see them play Stonebridge now that Stonebridge is healthy. Maybe they’ll get Highland Springs back on the schedule one day

After the way, they were embarrassed on their home field last year,they don’t ever wanna see us there again. Why do you think the coach had us taken off the schedule? 🤫🤫🤫🤫
I can agree with you it was a bad look but I also think that now Coach Walker is back Martinsburg doesn’t want to play schools with 2k plus students. But the computers speak for themselves!! Congratulations to your guys RB btw, hope he chooses WVU. Bet ya he wouldn’t have gotten anything going against Martinsburg’s run D though. Just ask Stone Bridge

• Haha
Reactions: HooSprings
Personally, I’d like to see them play Stonebridge now that Stonebridge is healthy. Maybe they’ll get Highland Springs back on the schedule one day
Result would be similar. They could not handle the Martinsburg front. From what I can tell comparing the martinsburg game vs the Briar Woods game, theyre only starting one different kid on their OL. Unless those kids have gotten orders of magnitude better in a couple months, that isn’t gonna lead to a different result. Stone Bridge just doesn’t pass the ball well enough to play with martinsburg this year.

We are getting pretty off topic, but to wrap it back around; this is why I don’t think SB has much of a chance. I haven’t seen Maury but their body of work speaks for itself. It will take a Herculean effort for the Bulldogs to consistently execute well enough to drive the ball and score with their just ok passing game. They aren’t good enough up front to overpower martinsburg, I don’t think they’ll be good enough there to handle Maury’s ultra talented unit.

Last edited:
I can agree with you it was a bad look but I also think that now Coach Walker is back Martinsburg doesn’t want to play schools with 2k plus students. But the computers speak for themselves!! Congratulations to your guys RB btw, hope he chooses WVU. Bet ya he wouldn’t have gotten anything going against Martinsburg’s run D though. Just ask Stone Bridge
Maybe we’ll see in 2 yrs when he’s a Sr.

You seem to forget that the series is 1-1!

People selectively choose what they like but he’s a HS guy so the way you look at your dawgs is the way he views his springers . Both teams have fine programs and the reality is one of them has to lose when they play. MHS is a mainstay in the WVHSFB championships and HSHS is becoming that way in VA, the reality is the demographics and geography is very different, but the results on the football field are very similar.

People selectively choose what they like but he’s a HS guy so the way you look at your dawgs is the way he views his springers . Both teams have fine programs and the reality is one of them has to lose when they play. MHS is a mainstay in the WVHSFB championships and HSHS is becoming that way in VA, the reality is the demographics and geography is very different, but the results on the football field are very similar.
Can’t get over the fact that their coach demanded we be taken off his schedule.

Huge difference in the game score!
You must be forgetting that the refs took two scores off on bogus calls, some would even say three. It was 14 vs. 11 and yall still lost. And yes, Martinsburg’s contingent is still upset HSHS got taken off the schedule.

Yall couldn’t even run the ball on Martinsburg last year outside of QB scrambles. Speed + bad coaching and mistakes won that game by that margin. You guys were getting bullied at the LOS if you ask me even with lineman not having to play both ways. Only 1 team rushed for 100+ yards on Martinsburg during the season which was Clarkson Football North, who’s whole OL was D1 and didn’t have guys playing both ways. They didn’t even give up 50 rushing yards in the playoffs

You must be forgetting that the refs took two scores off on bogus calls, some would even say three. It was 14 vs. 11 and yall still lost. And yes, Martinsburg’s contingent is still upset HSHS got taken off the schedule.

Yall couldn’t even run the ball on Martinsburg last year outside of QB scrambles. Speed + bad coaching and mistakes won that game by that margin. You guys were getting bullied at the LOS if you ask me even with lineman not having to play both ways. Only 1 team rushed for 100+ yards on Martinsburg during the season which was Clarkson Football North, who’s whole OL was D1 and didn’t have guys playing both ways. They didn’t even give up 50 rushing yards in the playoffs
You had to kick a FG to keep from getting shut out. We could’ve dropped 50! Why run when your secondary was stuck in a 4 alarm fire.

FYI….if a touchdown is scored because of a holding call….it’s not really a touchdown! 🤫

HooSprings loves to come up all types of excuses when his beloved Springers loose I.e. (Springers lack chemistry) but neglects facts and has a hard time given credit when credit is due. The hometown refs kept that 1st meeting close!!! He knows that!!!

Matthew Hatfield @hatfieldsports

17 seconds left 1stQ in VHSL Class 5 State Football Championship - Maury 19, Stone Bridge 7.
Third TD pass of the opening period for junior QB Au'Tori Newkirk - this one a 52-yard bomb to Josh Powell (his 8th TD catch of the year). PAT is no good.

Going about like I expected. Stone Bridge needed to be great on special teams to be in this one. Before that FG they were straight up awful. Just athletically outclassed. Maury is so fast on defense it doesn’t really hurt them when they get outflanked on those misdirection plays, they just run guys down. Really impressive looking kids.

It was an 11 point football game with a backup QB in the game for three quarters. How in the world do you call that "outclassed"

It was an 11 point football game with a backup QB in the game for three quarters. How in the world do you call that "outclassed"
Did you watch it? The only thing that stopped Maury all night was their own miscues. Stone Bridge played the game they needed to in the second half, if they could’ve put two halves like that together they might’ve been able to pull it off.

Look I was hoping Stone Bridge would win here for selfish reasons, but if we’re picking the 10 best players on the field tonight you might have 2 SB players on that list. Maury got awful sloppy in the 2nd and an excellent program like SB is gonna take advantage of that, but let’s not act like these were near evenly matched teams.

Reactions: CavsGrad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT