ADVERTISEMENT

Coach restricted to dugout

Central Region Tom

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2001
I know of more than one instance this season (including one yesterday) in which a baseball coach was restricted to the dugout rather than being ejected from a game. Is this something new? Is it an intermediate step, analogous to a technical foul in basketball or a penalty in football, that precedes ejection?

I've been watching high school baseball since I can remember (nearly 30 years), and this is the first time I remember this being an option. Not saying it wasn't "on the books" before, but I don't recall seeing it.

I do know there is a provision in NFHS rules that if a coach screws up a lineup card, (2nd time I believe), he is restricted to dugout remainder of game. Not sure on if coach argues a call and umpire has had enough

I don't work baseball but I know plenty of guys who do and i don't think the restriction rule is new. Not sure how long it's been around.

I do have access to a Rules Book and this is what it says. (Rule 3-3-1g(6) if you're scoring at home.)

A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall
not: g. commit any unsportsmanlike act to include, but not limited to: 6: any member of the coaching staff who was not the head coach (or
designee) in 3-2-4 leaving the vicinity of the dugout or coaching box to
dispute a judgment call by an umpire.

PENALTY: For violation of g(6), both the head coach and the offending
coach shall be restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game; or if the offense is judged severe enough, the umpire may eject the offender and restrict or eject the head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT