Reactions: lyhsports
Light Ridge HS (new Loudoun school) Aldie
Riverside HS Lansdowne
Loudoun County HS Leesburg
Martinsburg WVA

Two entirely unrelated questions:

~Is that the head coach at Martinsburg?
And
~Has any decision been made on Lightridge’s mascot and colors? That sort of thing interests me.

Reactions: VolNation85
http://wvmetronews.com/2019/12/20/dave-walker-to-leave-martinsburg/#.Xf2QLY7Jlr8.twitter

Dave Walker to leave Martinsburg
aaa-super-six-944-david-walker-01DEC18-ww-650x350.jpg

Photo by William Wotring/The Dominion Post & WVMetroNews
Martinsburg head coach Dave Walker talks with the media.

By Chris Lawrence in High School Sports, News | December 20, 2019 at 10:26AM

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — After eight state championships in the last 10 years, Martinsburg High School football coach Dave Walker is leaving his position.

MetroNews has confirmed Walker will be introduced Monday as the new head football coach at Concord University.

The news comes less than two weeks after the Bulldogs captured their fourth straight state title and claimed their 56th straight victory dating back to the start of the 2016 season. Walker is the winningest coach in West Virginia football history with 304 victories over stints first at East Hardy and then Martinsburg, where he has been the head coach since 1997.

Walker was at East Hardy from 1988-1996, before moving on to guide the Bulldogs. He helped lead Martinsburg to the playoffs every season since 1998.

Walker also has a state record 53 playoff wins and under his watch, Martinsburg played in a state final 12 times since 2001.

A graduate of Pineville High School, Walker played college football at Glenville State.

Concord finished 1-10 in 2019 and head coach Paul Price resigned from his position in November.

The Mountain Lions have not won more than two games in a season since 2015 when they finished 5-5.

Walker declined comment on the reports when contacted by MetroNews.

“The challenge for me is what is exciting,” Dave Walker introduced at Concord
Screen-Shot-2019-12-23-at-12.47.51-PM-650x350.png

Photo courtesy of Concord University
Former Martinsburg head coach Dave Walker is introduced at Concord University.
SHARE ARTICLE

Joe Brocato in High School Sports, Sports | December 23, 2019 at 1:42PM

ATHENS, W.Va. — After engineering an unprecedented run of success at Martinsburg High School, Dave Walker is set for a new challenge at the collegiate level. Walker was introduced as the 20th head coach at Concord University Monday morning. Walker grew up in the Wyoming County town of Pineville.

“I grew up about an hour from here and it feels good to be home,” Walker said. “It is a new beginning for me and I can’t express how excited I am.”

Walker just completed another state championship season with the Martinsburg Bulldogs. MHS claimed their fourth consecutive unbeaten season earlier this month, with a 49-21 win over Cabell Midland in the Class AAA state championship game. Walker led MHS to eight titles in ten years and the program has won 56 consecutive games.

“The years I had at Martinsburg High School are precious to me. This is an exciting time for me but this is also a sad time. I feel like this is something I needed to explore.”

“For me personally, I am at a point in my life where I needed to do something different. I have accomplished everything I could as a high school football coach. I think the challenge for me is what is exciting. This is a great fit for both of us.”

Walker also led East Hardy to seven consecutive playoff appearances prior to arriving at Martinsburg. He takes over a Concord program that has won just seven games in the past four seasons.

“How do you change the culture? You win,” Walker said. “Obviously we are going to work hard and bring great players in. But we also want to develop the ones that are already here.”

“I definitely think we need to get the best talent in the state of West Virginia. If they are not signing a Division 1 letter of intent, they need to be here at Concord University. That’s definitely a goal.”

Walker says he will utilize similar offensive and defensive philosophies to what he installed at Martinsburg while tailoring them to his personnel.

“We will be using a lot of the same schemes. Football is football. The ‘RPO’ schemes, the spread offenses, we will do the same things and expand on them somewhat.”

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT