ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Strasburg Class 2 threepeat Wrestling Champs

3 In a row for the Rams. Several of the boys were upset with themselves that they did not wrestle up to their expectations of themselves. Overall great year for them .

IMO Grundy would win a straight up dual by a decent margin. I think if they were in the 2A state bracket they would still win but not by as wide a margin as they did in 1A. In all fairness it’s Grundy, RR then pick a team. RR usually challenges them but you can’t wrestle back and beat them because they end up with so many finalists. Grundy is built different and that’s not to take away from an extremely talented Strasburg team. They are legit top to bottom too. I think in class two you have Strasburg and Poquoson that are the higher end with a host of other teams that can challenge or potentially knock of a few that make the finals in 1A. Just law of averages no particular wrestler that I am talking about. Quality from both teams and Strasburg has the titles to prove there are as legit as anyone.

Reactions: BigWinners
IMO Grundy would win a straight up dual by a decent margin. I think if they were in the 2A state bracket they would still win but not by as wide a margin as they did in 1A. In all fairness it’s Grundy, RR then pick a team. RR usually challenges them but you can’t wrestle back and beat them because they end up with so many finalists. Grundy is built different and that’s not to take away from an extremely talented Strasburg team. They are legit top to bottom too. I think in class two you have Strasburg and Poquoson that are the higher end with a host of other teams that can challenge or potentially knock of a few that make the finals in 1A. Just law of averages no particular wrestler that I am talking about. Quality from both teams and Strasburg has the titles to prove there are as legit as anyone.
Grundy pours a ton of money in their program, they run a very high quality outfit up there. They churn out elite wrestlers like other schools churn out stoners lol.

How did Union fare? They won 2D and had a couple defending state champs competing IIRC, notably the Potter kid who has won multiple titles I believe.

I found the results. Thomas Potter won the title again, it shows his record as undefeated in his HS career. Extremely impressive. Union had another kid come runner up, losing to Lopez from CW. Do you have the full team standings?

428316242_303428986075654_2192374421638685192_n.jpg

The one good thing with wrestling is that school size really should not matter once you get on the mat it is 1 vs 1. In a dual match I think Grundy would win but Strasburg has 1 kid that I am confident would win a match in his weight class in that dual. His only 2 losses this year came at the Beast of the East. Hutson Conrad is one of the best if not the best 215lb in the state in my opinion. His work ethic when it comes to wrestling is unreal. He should be a 2x champion but he wrestled the region and state tournaments last year coming off of knee surgery and was not in top physical condition and placed either second or 3rd last year. This year he was dominant I believe out of 46 or 48 matches he only had 5 or 6 that were not wins by pin.

Still with that said Grundy is the standard for wrestling in the whole state. They are business like in their approach and all the kids buy in from a young age. That is why Strasburg is were they are now is because 10 years ago the Shenandoah Valley Elite wrestling club started in Strasburg. That is where all these young men got their start. A solid youth program for wrestling is paramount to feed the talent to the high school.

I wish we could just see all six State champion teams wrestle in a round robin just for fun to see who would come out on top.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT