ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Essex's Martin, Douglas, Fulks & Rapp's Darby

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Essex's Malik Martin racked up the major honors on the All-Rappahannock River Conference all-star team.

Malik Martin was named Offensive Player of the Year, Offensive Back of the Year, and Defensive Back of the Year. Martin led league with 1,483 yards rushing and 15 TDs. He also caught nine passes for 107 yards and another TD. He led his team with 61 tackles and 2 interceptions.

Essex's Tyler Douglas was named Offensive Lineman of the Year. Essex's Coach John Fulks was the league's Coach of the Year.

The other two major individual honors went to Rappahannock's A.J. Darby who was the Defensive Player of the Year and Defensive Lineman of the Year. Congrats to all.

other notes- Rappahannock was missing their rushing leader Leroy Farmer and defensive player Raven Wilson in the AltaVista game (both all conference players had suffered injuries v Essex the week earlier).

Great preview of Essex v Luray game in this week's Rapp times. Luray hails from the tough Shenandoah District which includes Riverheads. Plus East Rock and Stuarts Draft who defeated local 2A teams W&L and KW. Soon will have some common opponents to examine. Last time and only time Essex played Luray was in 1st round of playoffs in 2012. I remember that game being a lot closer than most of us expected.

Reactions: Chilwar25
Hey Uvacav1, Milik Martin, he must be a stud, a very gifted student athlete. Just a question: How big is he, and he has to be pretty fast or quick or both? Well, one more question, what year is he in school? And don't say Freshman! Just kidding!

Malik is a very good all around kid. A true leader by example and the true definition of a teammate. He is very quick with great cutback ability and break away speed. He's around 5'7 165 but is very strong for his size and very cut. And no he is a senior. The other senior rb Rasaun Monroe was first team all conference as All Purpose as he also played qb a couple games and also plays wr when in the spread. About 750 yards rushing, 400 receiving and probably a couple hundred passing. Our third rb who is a freshman made 2nd team. I don't have the stats in front of me but he probably had around 600 yards rushing. As a team the averages were 411 yards a game and nearly 38 points per game.

Luray has some good old country boys and will battle you...but just doesn't have the speed or quickness necessary to neutralize Essex, IMHO. Turnovers--as usual--could level the bar but the Bulldogs got muzzled by the "good" Shenandoah teams (Riv, ER, SD & BG) and pulled out a 7-6 win over 4-6 Wilson Mem.
Hope its a well-played, injury-free encounter for both on Saturday. Any reason why Saturday?

I've seen Luray on film and yes they definitely are a physical group of kids no doubt. I'm with you I always pray that each game will be injury free for both teams. The game was moved to Saturday because the lights at Essex were being worked on and although they were scheduled to be fixed by Friday they went ahead and moved it to Saturday just to be on the safe side so neither team would be left waiting and wondering when the game would be.

Hey Kwsh, Thanks for the info from Essex. Martin's size proves a very valid point. You don't have to be a big bruiser to be a great RB. Obviously, Martin has a lot of skill and he can move pretty darn well. Now let's get to Rasaun Monroe. These two guys seem to compliment each other very well, from what you have said. Monroe appears to be the more versatile of the two, lets say "M&M " dudes. I would say he probably about the same size, but maybe a little taller than Martin, right? In any way, Essex has some very skilled athletes at the skill positions, am I right? Thought so! Just kiddin' My Friend. It's going to take a pretty good team to slow this package down. I'll be looking at Essex in the playoffs and see what these two do this weekend. I guess the game is still on for Saturday, right?

Yes the game is still on for Saturday. And thanks for the kind words. Each game from here on out will be won on the field and there is a lot of good teams out there who I'm sure will give us their best shot. Just one game at a time and right now the focus is just on Luray.

Congrats to all who made the All-Rappahannock River Conference 1st and 2nd team. Congrats to the 14 positions that my Essex Trojans players were selected. Congrats to coach Fulks. As for Malik Martin....I'm not 100% sure about this but he just might be the only player on Essex that has played in 3 state championship games. I know he's played in the 2 against Altavista (2013 & 2014). Can't remember if he was on the varsity team in 2012 vs Goochland.

Last edited:
Is this team posted in full online somewhere? Can someone provide the link?

I believe if I'm not mistaken Dameon Brooks played in all 3 state games as well.

As for a link there isn't one to my knowledge as the Rappahannock Times doesn't have a website. They do have a FB page but I'm not sure if the whole list is on there. I will say this area is blessed with a great local sports paper to say the least. Articles and box scores on all local sports for the week as well as stats for the leaders in offensive categories for both the NND and Tidewater District.

Congrats to everyone that was picked as all-conference. As far as Malik Martin, he isn't one of the bigger backs out there but he runs hard. He doesn't zig and zag as much as you'd think. To me he's a one cut and hit the hole wide open type back. His best asset may be his vision. He's not a bruiser but he doesn't shy away from contact either and is a play maker on defense as well. If he was in a different offense where the ball wasn't spread around to so many players he'd easily have over 2,000 yards and probably be pushing 2,500 yards. I think in one game he only had 2 carries for over 100 yards. Monroe plays with a similar style but is also used as reciever and even qb some times. The other back, Dameron #24 is only a freshman and he's the bruiser. I doubt he weighs the 240 that he's listed at, but he's definitely 215 plus. He's gonna be a terror for the next 3 years. This years version of Essex isn't as pass happy and is better at sustaining long drives which may benefit them in the play offs. Thats not to say they're still not a big play threat, just that they keep the ball on the ground more and don't have to pass as much.

I would say Martin is a little taller than 5'7, but it doesn't really matter because he is a stud either way. Super fast, great vision, and he may not be a bruiser but I have seen him deliver some devastating stiff arms this season and doesn't shy away from contact. He can catch the ball from the receiver position, and he did start at corner his freshman year the entire 2012 season. Jordan Payne also started the entire 2012 season on the defensive and offensive line, who is a senior this season. Monroe is smaller in frame than Martin, but can make any defender look silly with his start and stop ability. He is the definition of a utility player on offense as he has shown this season. Good basketball and baseball player as well. Don't doubt the listing of the freshman running back, if anything he is probably 6'2 245 lbs. He has a bright future ahead of him if he stays focused. I don't know what his position will end up being at the next level, but I know he can throw the football a country mile. Another all around good athlete in basketball and baseball. Essex will be tough to beat.

#24 K.D. Is every bit of 240lbs or slightly more. Nelson (QB) is 6'0" 215 and K.D. is much bigger than he is.

My goodness guys, you folks just keep on mentioning player after player with great skill and athletic ability. Were do you dudes get these kids? Hey, send some of them down my way; We sure could use just one, and you guy's would never miss a beat! Just kiddin' My Friend, but what a " Bunch " of young'uns you got there! What is the population of the Essex community that you draw from? It can't be that big or is it? It must be in the bloodlines of relatives from former Essex players? In any case, I admire your School and Community for producing such a winning program year after year. Your success speaks for itself!
ONE OF THE BEST in Virginia!

The population of Essex County is just over 11,000. As with most all schools, brothers, cousins, uncles and fathers have played for the program through the years. With our jv only losing to 3A James Monroe, 4A King George and 5A Deep Run, next years varsity should be a force to deal with also. The Essex Little League is doing good as well. They go deep in there playoffs and won some Super Bowls. As long as the kids stick together and keep working on their game as they move up, Essex varsity will be a deep playoff contender for years to come.

Hey guys, Essex has got it going, and I just don't see any thing that would tell me that they are not going to win, win, win the next few years. Get that Booster Club fixed.Work with your Principal and school bd for support on projects that you need financial help. Set up a plan of needs and priorities. Have your Principal involved from the get go. Get all the parents you can involved also. When the kids see guys working, they will respond by working hard also in the weight room and in the class room. I have seen this thing work like this before. You will be surprised how motivated your kids will become. Best of luck, My Friends!
P.S. With Essex being the only high school in the county, competition for funding will not be a problem!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT