ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations to ODU on the shocking win!

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Oh, I forgot to say something about ODU's unreal victory over ACC power Virginia Tech! Final was 49-35.

ODU was a 27.5 point underdog.

Gotta love it when the little guys outsmart and outplay the big boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: stubbie46
Also, we have TWO local Class 1A Virginia recruits committed to ODU - one from Essex and one from Franklin!

Awesome and congrats to those programs and kids as well.

Sorry I couldn't resist....they flat out got whipped as bad as I hate admit it!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: uvacavs1
I don’t know if I’d classify ODU as a “little guy”. Both schools offer the same number of scholarships. I definitely understand the intent (& sorry to not-pick), but it’s not like they’re FCS with only 63 scholarships.

Up yours....hahaha

haha - after I posted that I thought VT fans would probably take that as a dig - kinda but not really.

I am one of the those few Virginians who pull for both UVA and VT to do well - I do like UVA and have been a casual fan for sometime.

I actually chose my screen name because my favorite president is great Virginian Thomas Jefferson. Plus, I went to Ralph Sampson's basketball camp as a kid (he played a pick up game with us for a few.)

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Plus, ODU is in Eastern Virginia as am I.

Lastly, I was raised a Hoo, but I was born a Pirate.

I am originally from Greenville, NC (oh yeah, VT gets upset often by the Pirates as well ha, however maybe not this year though...).

I also did the Ralph Sampson camp as a kid when they came through West Point. Good opportunity to meet a legend & realy cool (looking back) to have played versus his sons.

This game has to go down in history as a major upset and an example you can cite to young people when you try to convince them that "anything can happen if you just believe and work hard enough for it."

As we all know, in football the better team is going to win about 80% of the time (rough estimate.) An underdog will probably pull off an upset maybe 15-20% of the time due to the favorite having a bad day, and having too many penalties, turnovers, etc.

Then you have games like this one that just defy description. The announcers kept comparing it to a loss the Hokies had against Temple, which I don't even remember. But my question would be what about the time not too long ago that JMU went down to Blacksburg and beat them in their own house? Now THAT was a major upset!

Reactions: WP02alum
Yet another season where JMU has the best football team in the state of Virginia.

Reactions: WP02alum
And that's why they play the game. I am a huge tech and and we got a good whipping. Everything Odu did yesterday worked and the QB could not miss. Just one of those days that every went perfect for Odu and tech looked like Ned in the 3rd grade.

Have to wonder what Bobby Wilder was thinking not playing Larussa sooner at QB. How could he miss the MUCH better QB in practice??

I mean, that’s possible, but I’m much more inclined to believe Wilder is a mediocre coach at-best...

Reactions: Optimal62
Have to wonder what Bobby Wilder was thinking not playing Larussa sooner at QB. How could he miss the MUCH better QB in practice??
Don't get too carried away. It might have been a one-off. Congrats to the Monarchs, though. It was a well earned win. We got used and exposed. The rest of our season is going to be a disaster. Bronco is working on the deep ball as we speak.

I don’t know if I’d classify ODU as a “little guy”. Both schools offer the same number of scholarships. I definitely understand the intent (& sorry to not-pick), but it’s not like they’re FCS with only 63 scholarships.

On paper (if no one knew anything about either school) it would appear that both schools are FBS schools with the same number of scholarships so, therefore, equal - however, I would say ODU in football is without a doubt a little guy compared to the VT Hokies.

Just what comes to mind-

1) Power 5 conference v one of the weakest conferences in the FBS (Conference-USA is barely above the FCS)
2) National TV exposure and reach v new program
3) Traditions
4) History
5) Resources and Facilities
6) Money
7) Alumni Power
8) One team has played for a National title the other just started basically.
9) Legendary coaching for VT (love the new coach, I remember him from Memphis days and the old ball coach for VT)
10) did I mention the ACC v C-USA? the Fan bases?

You realize ODU program is only 10 years old...

I mean, that’s possible, but I’m much more inclined to believe Wilder is a mediocre coach at-best...

Wilder has the most successful start up program in NCAA history. He is a little better than "mediocre".

Not sure how you quantify “most successful startup”. They were literally regarded as the WORST FBS team in the entire country until this crazy outcome.

And Wilder is absolutely style over substance. Maine fans thought it was a win when ODU hired him away from Cosgrove’s staff. Without Taylor Heineke (who Wilder didn’t start initially), that program is pretty much trash.

Some serious hate here against a guy who is 73-40 and only had 2 losing seasons coaching a program that didn't even have football before he got there.
Absolutely. His players love him and his enthusiasm is contagious. Hell, he makes me want to throw some pads on my middle aged butt and go hit someone. Wilder is great.

Reactions: stubbie46
Players loving you doesn’t make you a great coach. His record is definitely working in your argument’s favor. Would be interested how many of those are FBS wins...

Must be a Tech fan. Saw a lot just like him Saturday night but they were real quiet. Guess some found their voices again.

I think that both of you are West Point folks....haha gotta love the passion of college football fans! Much better than the NFL these days!

I tend to side with ODU here (obviously) but I don't follow them that closely...so I like to hear all sides. My team (ECU) is also considered one of the little guys so I empathize.

ECU has been down of late but how sweet it was to whip those elitist a----- from UNC recently (again!) :).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT