ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations Woodgrove & Thoughts

one man

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
Hats off to Coach Skinner, his staff and his players. Most efficient team I've seen all season and I've seen everyone in the West except William Byrd. They aren't huge but they are very quick and physical on both lines and they run well to the ball on defense. They executed their schemes on both sides, won turnover battle 3-1 and recovered 2 onside kicks in the first half.

We had 8 possessions, 1 TD, 3 TOs, 2 TO on downs and clock ran out on a drive to end the half. They had 10 possessions with 8 TDs, 1 INT, took a knee on final possession. We knew coming in, the game would come down to who could get stops and turnover margin.

Woodgrove will take whatever you give them. They employ a very sound short passing game and will take shots every now and then. QB is very smart and steady. WR 17 is best we've seen and OL was best we've seen. They will be a tough out.

I haven't seen Byrd, Lafayette or LT besides highlights but I've seen each of the other 5 on film and would rank them as such. (team i saw them play on film)
1. Dinwiddie (TD)
2. Woodgrove (played plus 5 games)
3. Eastern View (Orange)
4. Salem (Amherst)
5. Dominion (played plus 2 games)

Don't get this twisted though, 2-4 are all in the same boat, all very fundamentally sound with defenses that can run and tackle. Dinwiddie just has a different level of overall team speed on defense and at the skill spots on offense than the other 4 I've listed. I'm going to guess that LT, Lafayette and Byrd are all very much capable of getting to W&M, matchups will be key. If you put me on the spot I'd say Salem-Woodgrove vs Dinwiddie-LT for the title and again I'd favor Dinwiddie to hoist the trophy. Next few weeks will be great, good luck to everyone still playing, may the best team win.

We suited up 32 players last night(10 seniors, 13 juniors, 7 sophomores, 2 freshman). We are very much a basketball school(had 52 kids try out for JV & 9th grade basketball, 22 tried out for varsity 2 weeks ago and this doesn't include a handful of our guys that will play BBall). Football isn't huge in this community, youth programs are getting better in the last few years which should help down the road. Culture continues to change and with success, I'm sure our numbers will rise but I don't ever expect us to suit up 60-70 kids. We're the 2nd smallest school in 4A just in front of William Byrd. We had 1 injured and another who had been out since Albemarle with what was believed to be a concussion, just found on on Tuesday that he had a brain tumor. He had his biopsy, got his diagnosis and will begin chemo very soon. Doctors are high on his chances for a full recovery. Please keep this young man in your prayers, he is a senior.

For The Ville, we had a historic season. Words can't express how proud I am of our boys and what they showed this season. Very tough to end it they way we did but we ran into a better football team. Good experience to see that level of discipline and execution, allows our boys to understand what it will take to go deep in the playoffs. We will learn and get better. We'll return 8 starters on offense and 7 starters on defense. We're going to hit this weightroom hard and make more history next year. We'll open with EC Glass, James Monroe and Harrisonburg non district before hitting the JD slate. Scrimmages are TBD & Brookville.

one man,

Thanx for a great, informed post!

I appreciate your educated( film study and firsthand game views) of the teams remaining in the playoffs.

It gives me hope that we can compete with anybody (4A) in the Commonwealth at this point.

I do fear a quicker & bigger line team getting the best of us in the coming weeks.

I hope Charlottesville can take this year's Football success and build a Football tradition to match the Basketball program!

Salem is a much better team than the team that lost to Amherst 42. 40. In August.

I don't doubt that southbottom. I'm sure they are much better in all phases. Ramsey will be missed the further they go. Once you get to the final four, 1 or 2 dominant athletes can make the difference. I'm not sleeping on or disrespecting your boys, I know firsthand what type of program Salem is, never will I underestimate them. If I was able to see their film from last night, I may change my opinion. Salem and LT are both seeming like the #2 teams in their respective regions which may be the fuel each team needs to get back to the title game. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see a rubber match in Williamsburg. Good Luck to the two, two-time defending Region Champs LT & Salem as well as the other 6 teams trying to dethrone them. Should be an exciting final 3 weeks as the cream keeps rising.

Losing Ramsey is a big deal no doubt, but they have compensated nicely. The big improvement for Salem has been in the offensive and defensive front. The offensive line got their biggest and possibly best lineman back in the lineup the last two games and that has really helped. The defensive line has also made steady improvement

I don't doubt that southbottom. I'm sure they are much better in all phases. Ramsey will be missed the further they go. Once you get to the final four, 1 or 2 dominant athletes can make the difference. I'm not sleeping on or disrespecting your boys, I know firsthand what type of program Salem is, never will I underestimate them. If I was able to see their film from last night, I may change my opinion. Salem and LT are both seeming like the #2 teams in their respective regions which may be the fuel each team needs to get back to the title game. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see a rubber match in Williamsburg. Good Luck to the two, two-time defending Region Champs LT & Salem as well as the other 6 teams trying to dethrone them. Should be an exciting final 3 weeks as the cream keeps rising.
I think success in the playoffs hinges on a team of players executing at a high level working together as a unit. One dominant athlete's skill can be negated by those who play around him. While it is always sad to lose a player, I say...next man up! Of course that next man (or men) must be able to compliment the skill of those around him on the field.

"Ramsey will be missed the further they go."

If you knew all the details, I'm not sure you would still believe this to be true. That player was extremely talented, no doubt. But there is much more to the story than that in this instance.

We all know I can't say any more than that, and I wouldn't, anyway. Suffice it to say I think this has ended up being a case of addition by subtraction, as unlikely as that would have seemed two months ago. IMHO, the team's chemistry and attitude is stronger than ever.

Two years ago, the loss of Coleman Fox essentially destroyed any realistic chance Salem might have had of going all the way (which given how good LT was, was probably minimal to begin with). But Fox was a different player, and a much different person. In the current situation, the loss of this particular player will not have anywhere near the negative impact that Fox's loss had. Very little negative impact at all, actually. IMHO, of course.

Reactions: salemfan32
"Ramsey will be missed the further they go."

If you knew all the details, I'm not sure you would still believe this to be true. That player was extremely talented, no doubt. But there is much more to the story than that in this instance.

We all know I can't say any more than that, and I wouldn't, anyway. Suffice it to say I think this has ended up being a case of addition by subtraction, as unlikely as that would have seemed two months ago. IMHO, the team's chemistry and attitude is stronger than ever.

Two years ago, the loss of Coleman Fox essentially destroyed any realistic chance Salem might have had of going all the way (which given how good LT was, was probably minimal to begin with). But Fox was a different player, and a much different person. In the current situation, the loss of this particular player will not have anywhere near the negative impact that Fox's loss had. Very little negative impact at all, actually. IMHO, of course.

I was speaking purely to his abilities. He had game changing talent on both sides. I know nothing of any players personalities, grades, character, mindsets other than my own.

I do agree with you that chemistry can make or break a team, regardless of talent.

Great job this season to Cville & to Woodgrove certainly an impressive win!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT