ADVERTISEMENT

Couple scenarios...........

NNDman

VaPreps All District
May 29, 2001
from a game I saw last night.
Intentional grounding was called but it was marked off 15 yds from the previous spot. I thought it was a five-yard penalty from the spot of the pass???
QB drops back to pass in end zone. Is sacked for an apparent safety, but a face mask infraction is detected. The 15 yrder was marked off from the goal line to A's 15 yd line. I'm guessing that's the only way to administer the penalty since the infraction took place in the end zone?

Intentional grounding, and all illegal forward passes, are enforced with a 5-yard penalty from the spot of the pass, loss of down.

The enforcement in the second scenario is correct. Ordinarily it would have been enforced from the end of the run, but in this case that was in the endzone so it's enforced from the goal line.

Thanks............

I was pretty certain the intentional grounding penalty was incorrectly applied because the umpire picked up with ball, conferred with the referee, went back to the previous spot and marked off 15 yds while the referee gave the intentional grounding signal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT