ADVERTISEMENT

Westfield 50 - Oakton 13

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
Westfield jumped out to a 33-0 lead taking advantage of three Oakton miscues (a safety, INT, and fumble recovery) in the first half to cruise to a 50-13 victory over Oakton. Scoring summary:

WF - 80 yards, Morin 16 yard pass, 7-0
WF - Safety on an Oakton punt flagged for intentional grounding in the end zone, 9-0
WF - 36 yards, Murphy 16 yard pass, 16-0
WF - 34 yards, Murphy 34 yard pass, 23-0
WF - Nicklas 32 yard FG, 26-0
WF - 16 yards, Duda 16 yard run, 33-0
Oak - 80 yards, Mead 2 yard pass, 33-7
WF - 80 yards, Duda 4 yard run, 40-7 (half)
WF - 47 yards, Miller 9 yard run, 47-7
Oak - 66 yards, Mead 15 yard pass, 47-13
WF - Nicklas 35 yard FG, 50-13

...I'm going to feel sorry for Oakton next Friday... James Madison is going to take out some frustrations after tonite's result in Vienna...

...I'm going to feel sorry for Oakton next Friday... James Madison is going to take out some frustrations after tonite's result in Vienna...
I would be interested if you could give us a brief idea how the game went. Low scoring, but was that due to defense or numerous offensive problems? Both teams are quite capable of scoring so this low score is surprising.

I would be interested if you could give us a brief idea how the game went. Low scoring, but was that due to defense or numerous offensive problems? Both teams are quite capable of scoring so this low score is surprising.
Warhawk and Seahawk defenses were the low score cause. Madison blocked two field goals. Seahawks moved the ball well but Dark Side did their job. Seahawk defense was all over Madison offensive. If Madison offensive could have move the ball better they might have scored at least one more TD. And Madison couldn't get points in their final drive with not a lot of time left. Tough loss for Warhawks but they will be fine. Seahawks vs Westfield could be a good one.

@falcettik... @jaaprime got the jist of it... another few points...

South Lakes lateral pursuit and team speed was exceptional and the Warhawks play calling probably a "little" too much to outside plays in their repetoire. Also, the Seahawks D-Line rush scheme seemed to get a lot of pressure, messing up blocking. Warhawks had a lot of success right up the middle on Stone Bridge, and that's where Dom Knicely's touchdown came from... but they didn't stay with it (e.g. didn't see the FB slant thru the G/T). South Lakes was keying on Cord Yates, a lot... Darren Knicely height wasn't as much of an advantage. The 50-50 balls didn't go Madison's way. Madison had two drive's in Q4 to go ahead deep into Seahawks territory, a few completely unnecessary false start penalities, but it just didn't work out either time.

On offense South Lakes took advantage of the Warhawks' aggressive defensive pursuit with misdirection plays. And maybe it was some slopping tackling by not tying up the legs, but there were any number of plays the Seahawks would just not go down.

The upcoming Westfield - South Lakes game will be really interesting... I am sure the Bulldogs coaching staff will be thoroughly examining the SLHS/JMHS game tape.

Reactions: falcettik
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT