ADVERTISEMENT

Madison 31 - Westfield 7

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
Ok, I have to say this first because I am a Westfield fan-WF did not play their best game. However, in all fairness, Madison had a whole lot to do with that on both sides of the ball. The MAD running game controlled the flow of the game and they used the running game well to control the clock with long scoring drives. As a result MAD moves on to face Freedom-W in one state semifinal, while the other state semifinal will be Lake Braddock vs Highland Springs.

WF received the ball first and went three and out, followed by a MAD three and out, then another WF three and out. MAD started their second drive on their own 36 yard line and it as not long before MAD's Dom Knicely went 62 yards straight up the middle for a 7-0 lead (Pfleghardt XP) with 4:37 remaining in the first quarter. WF punted on their next possession, followed by another MAD punt to give WF the ball on their own 28 yard line. On the first play from scrimmage WF's Murphy out ran the defense and Jenks hit him with a 72 yard pass for a TD to tie the game at 7-7 (Nicklas XP) with 9:43 remaining in the half. MAD then answered with a six minute, 71 yard drive to go back out in front on a Dom Knicely one yard TD run, 14-7 (Pfleghardt XP) with 3:35 to go in the half. WF started their next drive on their own 22 yard line and eventually punted with less than 20 seconds left. MAD's Salvosa blocked the kick (I think that is who got the block) and MAD recovered on the WF 28 yard line with eight seconds left. A pass to the end zone was incomplete but WF was flagged for defensive holding, so MAD elected to kick a 34 yard FG (Hopewell) to go into the half leading 17-7.

MAD received the second half KO and moved into WF territory before MAD's DeSimone fumbled on the WF 41 yard line. The white hat signaled WF ball, but then the referees huddled and overturned the call. MAD then went deep on the next play-Yates was flushed from the pocket and heaved a wobbly pass that was tipped by two WF defenders before falling into the hands of MAD's Darren Knicely who reached the WF three yard line. After losing three yards, Yates found Darren Knicely two plays later for an eight yard TD pass and the score was now 24-7 (Pfleghardt XP) with 6:26 to go in the third quarter. WF's next possession was a three and out. MAD then sealed the game with a long 76 yard ground drive capped by another Dom Knicely TD run of one yard to extend the lead to 31-7 with 7:28 remaining in the game. WF punted on their next possession, followed by a MAD fumble recovered by WF's Lucas at the WF 38 yard line but WF again failed to move the ball and punted to MAD. MAD got one first down then ran out the clock.

Last edited:
falcettik - As you know I’m a Madison guy, but some of the play calling by the Westfield coaching staff was mystifying to me, especially after the Warhawks’ touchdown to open the 2nd half putting the Bulldogs down 24-7. Needing three scores to win, I was expecting the Bulldogs to speed up the offense and shift the balance of offensive plays toward passing (where they had some success). The plays coming in were really, really slow. Lots of little things for the defense too against Madison. Was expecting the final to be 31-21 or 31-28.

Last edited:
Surprising score given that Westfield was able to go up 24-10 in that first game.

Madison gets another crack at Freedom in the semi-finals. Will the result be about the same this year? Freedom had no problem with Battlefield today.

I think my observation about the upcoming game is that the Warhawks have their eyes wide open regarding what they will face after last year's game; that and heading into an challenging away game environment in Woodbridge.

Am I hopeful? Yes. Am I realistic? Yes.

Reactions: OnlyVA
falcettik - As you know I’m a Madison guy, but some of the play calling by the Westfield coaching staff was mystifying to me, especially after the Warhawks’ touchdown to open the 2nd half putting the Bulldogs down 24-7. Needing three scores to win, I was expecting the Bulldogs to speed up the offense and shift the balance of offensive plays toward passing (where they had some success). The plays coming in were really, really slow. Lots of little things for the defense too against Madison. Was expecting the final to be 31-21 or 31-28.
All I can really say is that is the way Westfield has always called plays-run the QB to the sideline and back out. This has worked well in the majority of games to control the game's pace, but it has its problems when they need to move fast. As someone who has seen about 90% of their games since the school opened and heard a lot of opinions from others in the stands, some other fans also wonder about the pace of play calling, as you mention. I don't know the real why, this is just my opinion. I know a lot of the coaches, but don't discuss tactics or play calling as that is not in my wheelhouse. Good luck next week-Freedom is a quick strike buzzsaw.

I will also say that Madison's adjustment in this game to put a large lead blocker out in front of Knicely a lot more certainly worked well. Madison's running game was largely ineffective in the regular season game, limited by good Westfield pursuit, and that forced Madison to go to the pass to win. Not so today-they really ground it out.

Last edited:
Madison takes the same approach with play calling too... but has a hurry up set as well (Madison did it once during the game and Westfield called timeout). It just seemed slower than our game earlier in the year and resulted in at least one delay of game.

Yeah... Freedom...

Reactions: OnlyVA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT