Cow Bells still banned at Salem???

Bo Bob

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 1, 2016
No noise makers.
Jugs with pennies in them to shake??

Bells have been allowed in Salem
last couple of years
In 2015 they were allowed then we were told for the 2016 game they were not. None were allowed in 2017 either.
Can't speak of 18, I was there but don't remember hearing any.

Mike from Salem needs to weigh in.

Reactions: oldfool2
Repeatedly i have tried to find something in the vhsl rules and not found anything. In 2016 vhsl said it was Salem Stadium rules, and Salem Stadium said it was vhsl rules.

Repeatedly i have tried to find something in the vhsl rules and not found anything. In 2016 vhsl said it was Salem Stadium rules, and Salem Stadium said it was vhsl rules.
You won't find any. The only thing in VHSL handbook about noise is the band playing when team is out of the huddle. Nothing addressing shakers, cowbells, airhorns, and dare I say it...train horns. Might be soon, but not now.

And that is typical VHSL to pass the buck. I emailed one of their people and asked a very specific question. They responded back quickly, I'll give them that, but completely side stepped my question. I replied back and asked the question again, more direct this time. Never got a response.

Your spot on correct i did same thing. Even called and they kept me in the phone call transfer portal. Lol

Reactions: Union_Fan
I emailed the Salem AD who was listed on the VHSL site for any questions for the 2A game.

Here was his response:
Thanks for asking...no, per VHSL rules artificial noisemakers are not allowed...sorry.

Not to start a discussion I know some of you SWVA guys have had on the other board but do any of you really equate 500-1000 people shaking rocks in a coke bottle to a train horn? I will say again that the only experience I have with a train horn was during the Giles game several years ago and they were not overtly disruptive with it. I actually thought it added to the game atmosphere but they were beating our tail so they had no need to blow it incessantly when we were on offense.

That all said there's letter of the law and spirit of the law. Letter of the law states no bands when a huddle breaks but working the gray area of blowing the horn up to the snap is bush league at best. And to be clear, I am not saying anyone does that but that accusation was made several times this year in one game or another against multiple teams that use a train horn. In other words, just because it isn't spelled out directly not to do that, doesn't mean you should be doing it. Just my opinion and has nothing to do with long standing tradition or anything else.

I do find it intriguing where people fall on this subject. The polar opposites would have us watch a game in a vacuum with tennis clapping between plays at best. How much fun would that be, lol?

Not to start a discussion I know some of you SWVA guys have had on the other board but do any of you really equate 500-1000 people shaking rocks in a coke bottle to a train horn? I will say again that the only experience I have with a train horn was during the Giles game several years ago and they were not overtly disruptive with it. I actually thought it added to the game atmosphere but they were beating our tail so they had no need to blow it incessantly when we were on offense.

That all said there's letter of the law and spirit of the law. Letter of the law states no bands when a huddle breaks but working the gray area of blowing the horn up to the snap is bush league at best. And to be clear, I am not saying anyone does that but that accusation was made several times this year in one game or another against multiple teams that use a train horn. In other words, just because it isn't spelled out directly not to do that, doesn't mean you should be doing it. Just my opinion and has nothing to do with long standing tradition or anything else.

I do find it intriguing where people fall on this subject. The polar opposites would have us watch a game in a vacuum with tennis clapping between plays at best. How much fun would that be, lol?

I love the horn when it's done appropriately.

Anyone know if this is just 2A. Are the other finals allowed noise makers?

OK!!! This in from our AD who got it from the Assistant AD for the VHSL.
Stuart Draft folks....please don't read this.

Good afternoon Chris:

Artificial noisemakers, such as cow bells, are permitted in outdoor venues. You fans are free to shake away!

Good luck this weekend!

Shawn L. Knight

Assistant Director

Virginia High School League

Phone: (434) 977-8475

Fax: (434) 977-5943

OK!!! This in from our AD who got it from the Assistant AD for the VHSL.
Stuart Draft folks....please don't read this.

Good afternoon Chris:

Artificial noisemakers, such as cow bells, are permitted in outdoor venues. You fans are free to shake away!

Good luck this weekend!

Shawn L. Knight

Assistant Director

Virginia High School League

Phone: (434) 977-8475

Fax: (434) 977-5943

I thought it was a Salem stadium rule.....good to have clarification on this.

Just for the record and not to beat this topic up again like it has throughout the years......

The train horn issue started in 2013 playoff game vs appomattox. They blew that thing excessively on cadence, in huddles, during the play, etc. Giles knew they were in trouble....they blew everyone away that year and won by a last second FG. Our kids had never heard a train horn being blown during cadences (or during a game) and we had like 8 false starts that game. Anyways, its over with.....they do it more responsible now. I have not had a problem with the horn, just do it respectfully. I have actually gotten to know the one who blows it on FB for a few years. Good dude @SWVAgridiron

I think the funniest thread on here was then the Train horn guy from Glenvar got on here and they started a hilarious thread.

I got the email to show folks.

Our AD said he forwarded a copy of the email that the guy sent him say it was allowed.
I’ve also emailed their AD about it.
They should know!

Umbrellas are not allowed in some facilities for the reasoning that if one person is using one it interferes with the vision of the person behind them. That is why so many people go with ponchos, etc.

Where is it written umbrellas are not allowed?
Not sure where but the reasoning is sound. If one person has it up the next two or three rows behind then have their view blocked. Same with a tent like structure I'm sure.

I agree and like a train horn you have to use some consideration of others. I have used a popup canopy many times and always invited others to come sit under it.

Reactions: Bo Bob
I despise it when people bring an umbrella to a football game. They're not allowed in most major sports venues now anyway and shouldn't be allowed anywhere. Bring a poncho or do like I do and get wet.

Also despise the overgrown stadium chairs some folks bring as well. The ones that are way too big for the metal bleachers and if I am sitting behind take up all my leg room. The ones that are perfectly molded to the metal bleachers are fine, the ones that aren't are not.

I despise it when people bring an umbrella to a football game. They're not allowed in most major sports venues now anyway and shouldn't be allowed anywhere. Bring a poncho or do like I do and get wet.

Also despise the overgrown stadium chairs some folks bring as well. The ones that are way too big for the metal bleachers and if I am sitting behind take up all my leg room. The ones that are perfectly molded to the metal bleachers are fine, the ones that aren't are not.
Really boils down to not being courteous to others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT