ADVERTISEMENT

News Curt Kassab Leaving Deep Run After 6 Seasons

matthew328826

Publisher of VirginiaPreps.com (Rivals Network)
Staff
Jul 20, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
matthewhatfield.com
After six seasons at the helm, Curt Kassab has decided to step down as the Head Basketball Coach at Deep Run High School, he told VirginiaPreps.com on Wednesday morning.

Kassab went 98-51 overall at Deep Run, highlighted by the Wildcats' first State Tournament appearance this past season. They finished 23-5 overall and secured their first regional victory under his reign before falling to Wakefield, 50-48 in the 5A State Tournament quarterfinals.

"I've been doing this for 30 straight years without a break. To be honest, I'm not really sure how my mind and body is going to react. Coaching has always been my passion, hobby and life for a long time," Kassab stated.

"I've got a 4-year-old daughter who is getting to be very active in karate, soccer and sports. That played a part. I've enjoyed changing cultures, programs and building them. I always like to leave a program in great shape and in better shape than when I entered into the position. It's just my time."

Kassab came to Deep Run following coaching stints with the Atlee Girls team - who he led to a 30-0 record and AAA State Championship in 2003 - and with the VCU Women's Basketball program, where he served as an assistant under Beth Cunningham from 2007-10. He coached at Atlee for eight seasons.

In the two seasons prior to the 2015-16 campaign, Deep Run went 19-7 and 20-3 overall. Their 2014-15 squad stunned a Highland Springs team that was 19-3 overall - plus had beat them by 37 points in a regular season matchup - in the Conference 11 Tournament semifinals.

Kassab, 52, isn't ruling out a return to the sidelines at some point.

"I'm not really sure. I've literally coached every season, either in college or High School, since I graduated from college at 22 years old. I'm sure there is going to be a big void and emptiness," said Kassab, a Pennsylvania native who guided Hollidaysburg Area High School to a 87-47 record from 1993-99.

"We did a lot of things people just didn't think it was possible to do at Deep Run. I had great players who were disciplined and willing to buy in to my system. In order to be successful and compete with the Henrico's, L.C. Bird's and Hermitage's, you have to be able to have a disciplined, structured style of play. I'm very proud of what we accomplished while we were there and what's ahead for the program hopefully."

The Wildcats, who qualified for regionals five times during Kassab's tenure and beaten by L.C. Bird in four of those appearances, send four starters to college. Graduating will be Jorge Pacheco (Liberty), Damontez Oliver (Campbell), Evan Clark (Lynchburg College) and Harry Trippeer (Randolph College). Pacheco and Oliver were both All-State selections and the team's two leading scorers at 18.6 points and 12.5 points per game, respectively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT