ADVERTISEMENT

Dan River vs Gate City matchup

Jan 19, 2004
Looking ahead, how do these teams match up? I live in the Tri-Cities area and have kept up some with Gate City. From all the scores, it seems that maybe Zac and Mac are responsible for about 90% of Gate City's scoring. I've always felt like if Gate City ran up against someone who could slow Zac or Mac down, then GC could be in trouble. Notice I said "slow them down" because I don't think anyone will shut them down. It will take a solid defense to slow them down. Not sure how strong GC's inside game is so maybe a GC poster can provide info on that. Can someone from Dan River or knowledge of Dan River provide information on them? Thanks. Should be a good game.

Looking ahead, how do these teams match up? I live in the Tri-Cities area and have kept up some with Gate City. From all the scores, it seems that maybe Zac and Mac are responsible for about 90% of Gate City's scoring. I've always felt like if Gate City ran up against someone who could slow Zac or Mac down, then GC could be in trouble. Notice I said "slow them down" because I don't think anyone will shut them down. It will take a solid defense to slow them down. Not sure how strong GC's inside game is so maybe a GC poster can provide info on that. Can someone from Dan River or knowledge of Dan River provide information on them? Thanks. Should be a good game.

Most teams can say the same thing meaning.....if you slow down a team's top 2 offensive players, it usually works out well. That's true for Gate City or any team, including Dan River. Sadly, because the state of Virginia has arguably the shi**iest pairing system for the playoffs maybe of all 50 states, it is very, very possible that the 2 best teams in the state are meeting in round 2. That's sad. I think the winner of this game wins the state title. I think we can match up with Dan River, but Dan River is the favorite and they should be. They are the real deal. Only my opinions and I have not seen Chatham, or some of the teams in East that I am sure are solid. I know this. Dan River has been there and done that and they have won a title not to long ago. That goes a long way in my opinion. Gate City also knows that if they can beat the team that beat Martinsville, it does not matter if its 2017 or 2050 or 1995, that would be a very, very good sign because Martinsville is always the real deal. For Dan River to get the W? No question, they are a legitimate, probably the favorite to win the title.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
The loser of this game is still alive, so maybe they both make it to the finals.

Why is DR the favorite? Gate City has not lost to a team from Virginia all year and nobody has played them very close except Union so why wouldnt they be the favorite. DR is good but they aren't 2014-15 good. So if I was in charge of setting the line on this game GC would be the favorite. Also the "Mac & Zac" show will be hard to stop.

I think this will be a good one. Foul trouble will be the tale of the game in the long run and something to keep an eye on. For GC, Collier and Dean will be the wildcards that need to show up. I like GCs chances if one of those guys are in double figures. DR is probably loaded with athletes and will outrebound GC no doubt. Last time I seen them play they crashed the boards hard. As long as GC doesn't decide to chunk 3s up all night, I think it will be an exciting game. Mac is gonna get his and Zac probably will as well. But driving into the paint may be more of a chore against these guys.

Hate I'm gonna miss this one. Hopefully someone will be broadcasting it on the radio.

Why is DR the favorite? Gate City has not lost to a team from Virginia all year and nobody has played them very close except Union so why wouldnt they be the favorite. DR is good but they aren't 2014-15 good. So if I was in charge of setting the line on this game GC would be the favorite. Also the "Mac & Zac" show will be hard to stop.
Horsepasture I respectfully disagree with you. That 2014 team was tall and athletic and very fortunate that Martinsville was young and Bruton was off that night. This year's team has more "basketball" players than that team. This year however I still don't see a go to guy for this Dan River team, whereas in 14 they went to Ethan Driskill, Terrell Edmunds and Curtis Stephens. I think Devin Stone, Zemar Anderson and Bryson McLaughlin will get the matchups with McClung, Ervin and Collier/Dean. I also agree that GC will be the favorites in this game. If Dan River plays the way they've played in the last couple of weeks then this can easily go their way. I worry about GC's size compared to Dan River. GC definitely wins the size advantage. PG play will be important as well. Jaquon Durant must set the tone and limit turnovers.

Why do I feel Dan River is the favorite? They play a BETTER schedule within the state of Va. I know GC played some tough one's from TN and the private schools. I am not knocking our OVERALL schedule because it's not bad, but..........within the state of Virginia. If you look at DR's schedule and GC's schedule, Dan Rivers schedule is tougher when looking at games inside the state of Virginia and more difficult in my opinion only. Again, only opinions here. No way to tell. I also refer back to Martinsville. You simply do NOT win 15 state titles and be average. Martinsville once again had a solid team and they beat us up pretty good recently. Martinsville has a history of rising to the occasion come playoff time. It is what it is. They just simply do that; therefore, when somebody beats them in the playoffs on ANY given year, that should get your attention. For the two reasons stated above, this is why I think DR would be the favorites to win the whole thing.

When Glenvar beat Martinsville, it "shook up" the bracket in the West. Chatham beat Glenvar last night to advance. Martinville shot themselves in the foot by losing to Glenvar. Otherwise, I think both DR and Martinsville would still be playing later this week.

Like you said just opinion. Saw GC 4 times last year in person. Twice against the Dogs, once against Richlands (scouting) and once against Graham. They were good and even though they were losing Barnes you could tell they were a year away. This year they havent disappointed. They are going to be a tough out for anyone. DR is loaded with athletes but Mavahi was beating them off the dribble for 2 1/2 quarters till they made adjustments to stop it. The rest they say is history. GC shoots the ball much better than Martinsville and that's why I think it's going to be a tall task for the Wildcats. GC will have to contain DR's transition game, they love to get it out and go. It should be a high scoring game unless the teams aren't shooting good. Just an old man's opinion. DSH, you can just disagree with me, you don't have to be respectful.

Like you said just opinion. Saw GC 4 times last year in person. Twice against the Dogs, once against Richlands (scouting) and once against Graham. They were good and even though they were losing Barnes you could tell they were a year away. This year they havent disappointed. They are going to be a tough out for anyone. DR is loaded with athletes but Mavahi was beating them off the dribble for 2 1/2 quarters till they made adjustments to stop it. The rest they say is history. GC shoots the ball much better than Martinsville and that's why I think it's going to be a tall task for the Wildcats. GC will have to contain DR's transition game, they love to get it out and go. It should be a high scoring game unless the teams aren't shooting good. Just an old man's opinion. DSH, you can just disagree with me, you don't have to be respectful.
You are absolutely right. That team had serious athletes, though I'm still stretching my head how they went undefeated and won the state championship lol... 2 starters for Bud Fosters' defense at Tech, 3 guys 6'6 or taller, and another 2 who ran 4.45 40's. Don't find that too common in 2a. Sadly, none of those 3 guys who were 6'6 or taller could buy a lay up if they paid cash money lol!!!! The 6'5 Edmunds (Tremaine) could play a little (and I mean only a little but he's going to get paid next year in the NFL so I'll leave him alone lol). Terrell was just an athletic nightmare. He'd take the ball and dunk it on just about anyone but that was about all (although he is one on college football's top cornerbacks). Driskill plays basketball currently at UVA Wise. He was without question their best basketball player. 6'4 matchup nightmare. I think he won state player of the year??? Could be wrong..Q Stephens was a good PG (he and Jaqoun Durant, Dan River's starting PG this year have similar games). I think Durant has a better jump shot and is a better basketball player ( they both are/were amazing football players as well) . That's just my little 2 cents and I'm no Jay Bilas lol!!

Reactions: AntGZee
I will state my opinion on DR. They are solid, fundamental, hard working, gritty and tenacious. They don't make many silly plays ( turnovers). Unselfish is another word to describe them. I also have to mention that DR has a very good coach. Them beating Martinsville is enough to give anyone a gage on DR. Remember, Martinsville beat RE Lee earlier. I just think Martinsville just hit a tough patch at the end of the season. Rest assure, Martinsville will be back.

If GC can carry over their play from last night I like their chances. Just hope they don't have a bad performance after such a good one against Graham. Good teams should be able to keep up the pace....Time to see if GC really has what it takes.

I think GC will thrive if DR tries to press them...Don't really see them trying to press Mac. I'm betting the Cats go into a zone and stuff the middle full to keep Mac and Zac at bay all night. GC hasn't shot the ball the greatest as of lately from deep.... hopefully they will be on their game and sink some shots from the arc.

I think GC will thrive if DR tries to press them...Don't really see them trying to press Mac. I'm betting the Cats go into a zone and stuff the middle full to keep Mac and Zac at bay all night. GC hasn't shot the ball the greatest as of lately from deep.... hopefully they will be on their game and sink some shots from the arc.
DR will never play zone against anyone

Well I've not really seen the Cats play all that much. I know MHS plays a zone and plays it well. Was thinking that I saw DR play a zone some against MHS last year at Wise but maybe I'm wrong. I think it will benefit GC if DR plays man to man though....So I'm hoping they do.

DR plays man 95% of the time, usually plays zone if players get in foul trouble. They had trouble keeping Martin and Pettway from penetrating the other night till they started dropping Anderson in the lane to help out. Don't see them stopping the Mac and Zac show because I think they have a better supporting cast in Collier and Dean and so on. Hope the Cats can pull it out, just don't see it happening.

DR will never play zone against anyone
That will be a mistake against GC. Mac is better than any player on the court 98% of the time he steps on the court. The Arby's classic is the obvious exception, but even in that tournament against legit teams, he still preformed. To beat GC, you're gone have to go zone and hope they are cold from beyond the arc.

I will state my opinion on DR. They are solid, fundamental, hard working, gritty and tenacious. They don't make many silly plays ( turnovers). Unselfish is another word to describe them. I also have to mention that DR has a very good coach. Them beating Martinsville is enough to give anyone a gage on DR. Remember, Martinsville beat RE Lee earlier. I just think Martinsville just hit a tough patch at the end of the season. Rest assure, Martinsville will be back.

AntGZee - I always like reading your posts on here - always well thought out.

I feel like RE Lee is starting to hit their stride after hitting a rough period as well - the offense has come alive, primarily due to a 3rd scorer stepping forward - Manny Johnson - and their 3rd quarter "funk" appears to be a thing of the past.

I think the loss to Martinsville really woke them up - and hopefully will reap dividends down the road.

Thanks Pizzzzza!!!! I try to keep it real. I'm a Bulldawg homer. I will give a team credit when they beat us. DR beat us and it wasn't a fluke. We beat RE Lee after losing to a very tough GW Danville team. I do believe that RE Lee is a very good team as well. GC has been rite in the thick of things the past few years. In mentioning those 2A teams, they all have a legit chance at cutting down the nets. The L that Lee took at the hands of my Dawgs was a wake up call for them, INDEED. There's a lot of basketball to be played. Whomever wins this 2A will well deserving. I will be the first to congratulate them.

Mac McClung had 64 but the Wildcats outscored Gate City 35-18 in the 4th quarter to pick up a 96-84 victory! DR
Score by Quarter
GC led 19-17 after one (McClung had 16)
GC led 40-37 at halftime (McClung had 28 at HT)
GC led 66-61 after three quarter (McClung had 24 points to give him 52)
DR wins 96-84 with a 35-point 4th quarter. (McClung had 12 to finish with 64 points)!

This was worth way more than the price of admission. Dan River had all five starters score at least 14 points. DR was led by Jaquon Durant who had 23 points including 17 in the 4th quarter! Bennett McCann had a season-high 18 points, while Zemar Anderson had 18 points and 10 rebounds despite early foul trouble. Daniel Dickerson (who's been playing in place of injured guard Devin Stone) had another standout performance with 18 points, 10 rebounds, five steals and four assists. Bryson McLaughlin had 14 points and five assists.

If I had a vote, McClung would get mine for 2A Player of the Year. He had 28 points at halftime, knocked down seven 3’s, while going a perfect 17-17 from the line, and had 24 of GC's 26 points in the third quarter alone! Zac Ervin joined him in double figures with 12 points I think.

Good luck to my Wildcats on Saturday as we face Richlands at 6pm for the Region Title!
http://www.godanriver.com/sports/pr...cle_deb7be94-fa42-11e6-b78c-df57abcd15b2.html

http://www.timesnews.net/Sports/201...cClung-scores-64-but-Devils-fall-to-Dan-River

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT