ADVERTISEMENT

Darkhorse

TrojanFan0587

VaPreps Varsity
Sep 8, 2005
At this point, Altavista looks to be the clear favorites to repeat as state champs. They only lost 5 starters last year and their defense looks to be dominating, having 5 shutouts and only giving up 41 points in 9 games. After them I think you have Essex, Lunenburg, Parry McClure, Honaker and Haysi. Other than these teams does anybody else have a chance to win it all? Colonial Beach is tough but lacks depth. Can Washington and Lee recover from the Essex lost last week? What about Surry, Ft. chi swell and Redford? Thoughts?

You can never count out those schools from down in coal country, so I'd say Haysi or Honaker. Haysi gave Altavista a good game last year for that matter.

Honaker 9-0 and being considered a dark horse we will definitely take that. Just keep overlooking swva. Can't say 100 % but I'm sure haysi won't mind flying under the radar again this year.

The reason SWVA gets overlooked on these boards is because they are under represented by fans on here. That's the ONLY reason.

I know what your schools down that way are capable of..it wasn't that long ago that GW went all the way to Franklin and won and Clintwood knocked off Sussex the week after Sussex won a game 88-8.

I'm a PM fan, so therefore I know history. The Blues have 12 regional titles yet only 6 state title appearances. "Why is that" you might ask? Because of those schools down in SWVA, that's why lol. Like I say, I know what you guys are capable of.

From this end of the state I would probably go with Galax, George Wythe, and possibly Radford after last week. Honaker and Haysi would be the top dogs in the West.

Sussex Central can be a dangerous team the Tigers have depth and 15 seniors. The only issue with the Tigers will be if they can get up for the next team in line, the Tigers seem to bring out the best in their opponent they must match the intensity level in whom ever they play.

Very true. I think Sussex is back under the radar because of the loss to Brunswick a couple weeks back.

But, its only one game at the end of the day. It reminds me of that Clintwood team actually, because I recall them having lost something like 61-6 to Grayson earlier that season and then thinking they didn't stand a chance against either Sussex or Galax.

Catch fire at the right time is the key.

I do not see anyone other than AltaVista winning state championship. They are loaded with skill position players and they have a good defense. That's the best combination in football.

Not to be cocky or arrogant if Altavista is on everybody's else is playing for 2nd place . It doesn't matter who you play when you can score almost 400 points for the year and only give up 40 with 5 shutout's that's pretty good . Its a lot football left anything can happen lets play ball and see . I have always herd defense wins chapionships and offense wins games.
This post was edited on 11/7 1:15 AM by HokieTDTech

You heard the same thing about Essex from Essex and NND fans last year. Everyone out west of 95 wasn't so sure. That's the problem with high school sports, they're so regionally biased it's almost impossible to figure out who's actually better than who based on regular season.

There are at least three regions (and that's in each level - though the regions change depending on what level) and the carryover is so small that you can't even you common foes, it's Team A beat Team B who beat Team C lost Team D who beat Team E, there for Team A is better than Team E. But that doesn't take into account injuries, rival games and a host of other variables that can change any game.

THIS time of year all it takes is one injury at a critical position like a quarterback and a schools season comes to a premature halt..........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT