ADVERTISEMENT

defenseless receiver

Dec 20, 2012
Is there such a rule in high school? If so how is it defined? There were a couple plays in a game last night that I was asking myself where the flag was for that.

There is such a rule, but the Rules Book is vague, in my opinion.

Here's what it says:

Rule: 2-32-16
ART. 16 . . . A defenseless player is a player who, because of his physical position and focus of concentration, is especially vulnerable to injury.

Which applies to this:

Rule: 9-4-3g
ART. 3 . . . No player or nonplayer shall:

g. Make any other contact with an opponent, including a defenseless player, which is deemed unnecessary or excessive and which incites roughness.

That's all it says, so obviously there is plenty of room for interpretation. Most training on the topic involves hits to the head or with the head to players who are not in a position to protect themselves. A shoulder to the chest or a good form tackle shouldn't draw a flag on a defenseless receiver, but a blow up hit might.

There is such a rule, but the Rules Book is vague, in my opinion.

Here's what it says:

Rule: 2-32-16
ART. 16 . . . A defenseless player is a player who, because of his physical position and focus of concentration, is especially vulnerable to injury.

Which applies to this:

Rule: 9-4-3g
ART. 3 . . . No player or nonplayer shall:

g. Make any other contact with an opponent, including a defenseless player, which is deemed unnecessary or excessive and which incites roughness.

That's all it says, so obviously there is plenty of room for interpretation. Most training on the topic involves hits to the head or with the head to players who are not in a position to protect themselves. A shoulder to the chest or a good form tackle shouldn't draw a flag on a defenseless receiver, but a blow up hit might.

The play in question the wr was in the air. Ball sailed over his head out of bounds the defender launched himself and hit him directly in the head on the wr way down. Should that have been called

As described, yes, But like anything else, to make a real judgment, I'd have to see it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT