ADVERTISEMENT

DeMatha vs Oscar Smith???

DeMatha va Oscar Smith

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

757FridayNiteZ

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 9, 2015
With DeMatha losing key play makers from 2015 including an injury to their top Ranked Running back for 2016, AND Smith returning nearly their entire 2015 Team, what are the chances that Oscar Smith will prevail in Friday night's Game?

Is DeMatha any different than Ocean Lakes was last October?

Smith's kicking game will hopefully be better than what showed up at Salem last week!

FWIW DeMatha beat Westfield 34-7 in their annual scrimmage last week.

Not sure Westfield is as powerful as 2015. I believe they lost much of their OL & DL that gave them a power run game last year.

I am just hoping for a great battle and a fun game to watch! Smith traditionally provides that even when the score doesn't reflect it against the Recruiting National HS Football Powers they've played in the past.

DeMatha always beats Westfield in scrimmage, even last year. DeMatha is a Catholic high school, which means that they can and do recruit players. DeMatha often has impressive players at every position.

BlueFan is correct; WF has only once beaten DeMatha in their annual scrimmage-that was in 2007 when WF had a superb team. Usually it is not even close. The difference in depth, speed, size, and skill is quite obvious across the board. Now, that said, the team DeMatha brought to WF this year was nowhere near as big as past teams they have fielded, but the certainly ran very hard with the ball, harder than just about any RBs you will see in the VHSL. WF has 11 returning starters, including several on both lines. The defensive front seven for WF held their own in the scrimmage. The WF first string gave up three scores, two on poor pass coverage. The entire WF secondary is new, young, and has no varsity experience; it showed.

OS may stay with them for a while, but I think it is a DeMatha win by at least 2 TDs. If OS beats them, great. It speaks volumes for them and the public schools in Virginia if they can.

From what I can tell DeMatha is no different than Ocean Lakes was last year. A lot of recruited talent & Nationally ranked. Ocean Lakes simply was out coached and didn't play as well as a team. Westfield plays well disciplined football. Friday Night's game will come down to whom is more ready for their season to start.

My gut tells me the game could come down to special teams like it did for Ocean Lake vs Smith game. The only problem is I don't think Smith has a kicker this year. I hope I am wrong!

BlueFan is correct; WF has only once beaten DeMatha in their annual scrimmage-that was in 2007 when WF had a superb team. Usually it is not even close. The difference in depth, speed, size, and skill is quite obvious across the board. Now, that said, the team DeMatha brought to WF this year was nowhere near as big as past teams they have fielded, but the certainly ran very hard with the ball, harder than just about any RBs you will see in the VHSL. WF has 11 returning starters, including several on both lines. The defensive front seven for WF held their own in the scrimmage. The WF first string gave up three scores, two on poor pass coverage. The entire WF secondary is new, young, and has no varsity experience; it showed.

OS may stay with them for a while, but I think it is a DeMatha win by at least 2 TDs. If OS beats them, great. It speaks volumes for them and the public schools in Virginia if they can.

2016 Private high schools football preview: Washington Catholic Athletic Conference
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...655362-692a-11e6-99bf-f0cf3a6449a6_story.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT