ADVERTISEMENT

Differences between levels 1A-6A

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
I'm no expert on statewide football across all levels, but I thought it would make for an interesting discussion. I generally only keep up with 3A/4A because that's what the majority of the Roanoke Valley schools consist of.

The biggest difference I've noticed is depth. Some of the bigger schools have 120+ on their Fr, JV, and Vars teams. I think the bigger rosters offer competition within the team that makes them better. I think there is a distinction between roster number and depth though.

Depth consists of numbers, but also quality, and cross training. A lot of smaller teams have 2 way starters, a bigger team may not have any. Another difference is quality of backups. Some teams #2 is as good or better than other teams #1. Good teams will rotate a good #2 in to gain experience, bring in fresh legs, and keep guys motivated. By cross training I mean having players that can play multiple positions. It may just boil down to quantity increases the odds of quality?

A good team can play opponents that are considerably bigger and consistently win, but if you look at teams that have moved up after having success at a lower level, in most cases it's difficult to maintain that level of success.

Briar Woods and Broad Run are 2 examples of teams that won at 4A ('08-'12 Champions between the 2) and then moved up and haven't been able to reach that pinnacle. Briar Woods reached the title game and have been 24-14 in the 3 years since they moved up. Broad Run has gone 39-20 since they moved up to 5A in the last 5 years. Neither was bad (BW was 3-8 last year, but their schedule was insanely hard- opponents were 100-40, 2 were runner-ups & 2 were semifinalists) It's just hard to maintain that level of success moving up levels.

So what do you guys think? Give me some opinions and perspective from 1A -6A.

I'm no expert on statewide football across all levels, but I thought it would make for an interesting discussion. I generally only keep up with 3A/4A because that's what the majority of the Roanoke Valley schools consist of.

The biggest difference I've noticed is depth. Some of the bigger schools have 120+ on their Fr, JV, and Vars teams. I think the bigger rosters offer competition within the team that makes them better. I think there is a distinction between roster number and depth though.

Depth consists of numbers, but also quality, and cross training. A lot of smaller teams have 2 way starters, a bigger team may not have any. Another difference is quality of backups. Some teams #2 is as good or better than other teams #1. Good teams will rotate a good #2 in to gain experience, bring in fresh legs, and keep guys motivated. By cross training I mean having players that can play multiple positions. It may just boil down to quantity increases the odds of quality?

A good team can play opponents that are considerably bigger and consistently win, but if you look at teams that have moved up after having success at a lower level, in most cases it's difficult to maintain that level of success.

Briar Woods and Broad Run are 2 examples of teams that won at 4A ('08-'12 Champions between the 2) and then moved up and haven't been able to reach that pinnacle. Briar Woods reached the title game and have been 24-14 in the 3 years since they moved up. Broad Run has gone 39-20 since they moved up to 5A in the last 5 years. Neither was bad (BW was 3-8 last year, but their schedule was insanely hard- opponents were 100-40, 2 were runner-ups & 2 were semifinalists) It's just hard to maintain that level of success moving up levels.

So what do you guys think? Give me some opinions and perspective from 1A -6A.
Lots of people always said the BW and BR were playing lower than they should have, but if they were in the guidelines then that was fair. But they didn't fair as well when they moved up. Appomattox was a 2A but could play with any 4A last year but doubt they will this year. Amherst always played up and won those games except for the last couple of years. You might have teams that could have a good winning season just becaus of players that year but doubt they will be consistent. Rustburg is a very good team but has to use players to play both sides because of lack of depth

Last edited:
Reactions: mike salem
Lots of people always said the BW and BR were playing lower than they should have, but if they were in the guidelines then that was fair. But they didn't fair as well when they moved up. Appomattox was a 3A but could play with any 4A last year but doubt they will this year. Amherst always played up and won those games except for the last couple of years. You might have teams that could have a good winning season just becaus of players that year but doubt they will be consistent. Rustburg is a very good team but has to use players to play both sides because of lack of depth
They were within the guidelines, but because of explosive growth between 2 year classifications they were actually 5/6A based on actual numbers. They weren't doing anything wrong, but it didn't hurt them either.

Appomattox is 2A, but your point is still well made. With their players last year they would have been competitive above their classification.

Rustburg has really good players, but their depth kills them in the 2nd half. I think they are the smallest school in the Seminole and the depth issue is amplified in that district. (No easy games)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT