ADVERTISEMENT

Dinwiddie 40 Courtland 7

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
Wanted start by saying Courtland played Dinwiddie tough, but their predictability hurt them. You just cant line up and run the ball 3 plays for four yards and then punt. Dinwiddie thrives on short fields and did enough to win.

Thought the Courtland defensive scheme was a good one and honestly gave Dinwiddie some trouble. Coach Mills finally broke out the screen game and Courtland had no answer.

Courtland will be a force down the road. Class coach and team. On to our evil twin Monacan.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Did Courtland do on defense what I suggested weeks ago, or something completely different? And did #79 play for the Cougars?

They stunted a lot on the d-line. They pressured Witt a few times on the blitz and got a sack, but the line adjusted. I would say you probably were fairly accurate. The had some huge guys, but I dont recall seeing #79 on the field or sidelines. Wasnt really paying attention. Witt 13-19 for 199 and scored on a 65 yard run. (0 picks).

Offensively, they bored the heck out of me. Run, run, and go backward. Their quarterback had two nice runs. I think they completed one pass. Courtland scored on our subs with 20 seconds left. The Dinwiddie defense was well prepared for Courtlands wing offense. Sure did not fool us. We are way too quick for slow developing runs.

A win is a win. It could have been a lot worse.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
I respect the reputation of Coach Hall, and maybe he just used his personell the best way he could, but I think the Wing T will just not get you far these days. As soon as they went down by 14, they were doomed.

Grind it out football will only work if you have the defense to go along with it. Keep it close, maintain possession for long periods of time, and have the strength and conditioning, (and depth of personnel), to wear the other team down.

T would like to complement the coaches that were up in the press booth for Courtland. I had a few minutes during pre-game to chat with them. Great couple of guys. They represent their school well.

Also, a shout out to the Courtland players. They played with pride and determination right down to the last play.

Courtland offensive play calls was maybe the worst I've ever seen. Looks like they played just to punt the ball not even trying to move the chains. Several 3rd and 10+ yards and you run the ball up the middle. Boring Is an understatement.
That's how they have played all season. They just don't have the personnel to do what they do. They have just been playing to punt and hope for the best. Plus their QB transferred to Riverbend. Much different team than in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT