ADVERTISEMENT

Doubles Tennis (It says all sports)

Sep 24, 2010
Is it correct that if a member of Team A receives the serve then the next time Team A gets to serve, the same member of Team A that received is now the server? Any tennis people out there...?

You can find the 2012 version of Friend at Court online if you're interested. It's available on the USTA website (usta.com). I don't quite get your question, but let me try. The team which is due to receive in the first game of a set shall decide which player shall receive the first point in the game. Similarly, before the second game starts, their opponents shall decide which player shall receive the first point of that game. The player who was the receiver’s partner for the first point of the game shall receive the second point and this rotation shall continue until the end of the game and the set. After the receiver has returned the ball, either player in a team can hit the ball. Each set is different so teammates may change that order for the 2nd or 3rd set. Where you receive from has no relation to serving. The team that wins the toss may elect to serve the first game of the match, or to receive the first game of the match, or they may make their opponents choose from those options. They could also choose which side to start on, it gets a little complicated. Either player from the team may serve the first game, their partner will serve the 3rd game and they will alternate serving games throughout the set. If I receive on the deuce side for the first game, I will always receive on the deuce side during that set. I may be the first server for my team or the second, it's not related to where I receive. Does that make it clear as mud? All 4 players will serve one game alternating between teams and players on that team. No one serves two games in a row in a set. Once a new set starts, a new order may be used.
This post was edited on 2/2 11:52 AM by epsilonmu

The answer to your question is no. Like the last person posted, the only rule is that once somebody receives that first serve on the right side, they are stuck on that side for returns of serve for the rest of the match. It has no effect on who serves first on your team. In Doubles strategy, some people just prefer to play on one side the majority of the time. The first server is normally the better server of your doubles team(or possibly the less effective player at net)
This post was edited on 2/3 9:51 PM by schoolboard

The receivers, as well as the serving order, can change after each set. You're not stuck for the whole match. I suggest you find the player who can best return a backhand served up the middle to the deuce side, that's a much harder backhand return than a cross court backhand.

Is tennis a real sport?? Aint it kinda like glorified ping pong??? Just kiddin. I have friends that played some big time college tennis. The stamina needed and the precision of the game is quite awesome. But I have no idea concerning the rules.
This post was edited on 2/7 6:49 PM by H00PSREF

Thanks to the guys who DO know the rules for stepping up and answering. That's what makes this board great.

And yes, it says all sports.

Suppose I asked a question about match bass fishing...
I agree that this is a very helpful source and thanks to all of those who dig into rulebooks and take on these questions. Not always cut and dry...

You are right. I just forgot because we play 10 game pro-sets until Districts/Regions/States, so the set it the match for us most of the time.

Why play a 10 game pro set? If you play pro sets, they should be 8 game. The definition of a pro set is 8 games in the Friend At Court. FAC allows for other versions of pro-sets in USTA sanctioned tournaments, but they must be announced in advance. Why don't you play 2 of 3 sets? Time constraints? You could substitute a 10 point match tie-break for the 3rd set if time is an issue. I've never seen anything in VHSL that allows a 10 game pro set. If time is a concern consider using no-ad scoring. No big deal, but high school matches should be played the same everywhere and follow some uniform guideline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT