ADVERTISEMENT

Grundy wins 27th state championship

Aug 20, 2018
Just a crazy amount of dominance from the Golden Wave wrestlers. Are there any other VA schools that have team sports that compare success wise to Grundy?

I think George Mason (now Meridian) won a bunch of soccer championships. Believe it was in the 25/26 range. J.J Kelly won a bunch in baseball. I'm sure there are others.

I think GM-Meridian has like 14 or 15 boys titles in soccer and around 14 or 15 in girls soccer. Hampton High, going back to 1912 has 18 football titles and that's probably the most comparable or close to Grundy simply because of the difficulty it takes to win a football title, especially when Hampton won many of those with only 3 classifications and not 6. I think Poquoson has 14 wrestling team titles.

Grundy's is unparalleled in any sport

Great Bridge is a few state championships behind Grundy in wrestling. Christiansburg won 17 in a row from 2002-2018. I think the way wrestling championships are structured lends itself to dynasties, it takes a lot of things going wrong for the best team not to win.

Cox has 24 field hockey state titles.

Loudoun County won 14 volleyball championships in 15 years from 2007-2021.

GM/Meridian has 10 state championships in boys soccer.

Blacksburg has 13 in boys soccer.

GM/Meridian has 13 girls soccer state championships (11 consecutive 08-18).

Great Bridge is a few state championships behind Grundy in wrestling. Christiansburg won 17 in a row from 2002-2018. I think the way wrestling championships are structured lends itself to dynasties, it takes a lot of things going wrong for the best team not to win.

Cox has 24 field hockey state titles.

Loudoun County won 14 volleyball championships in 15 years from 2007-2021.
Follow up question:

Is Kevin Dresser the most important person to wrestling in the commonwealth of Virginia? He started Grundy’s dynasty when they hired him away from the University of Iowa, he left Grundy and made Christiansburg a juggernaut, then made Virginia Tech relevant on a national level before leaving for Iowa State.

Reactions: BGfootball95
Follow up question:

Is Kevin Dresser the most important person to wrestling in the commonwealth of Virginia? He started Grundy’s dynasty when they hired him away from the University of Iowa, he left Grundy and made Christiansburg a juggernaut, then made Virginia Tech relevant on a national level before leaving for Iowa State.
Dresser is something else. Other than Dresser, go back to Billy Martin Sr., who is in sports history books. From 1948 to 1970, he won 22 state titles in 23 years at Granby and invented the historic and still talked about "Granby Roll." Additionally, he invented the "Granby System" which still has elements taught as recent as 10 yrs ago. Not only that, he basically founded organized wrestling in the state of Virginia and was one of the first members inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. He literally started wrestling programs, guided them at Virginia colleges, intramural, rec, and across scores of High Schools in Virginia under his "Granby System." All the great stuff Great Bridge has done has it roots in Martins Granby System and coaching tree.

Reactions: BGfootball95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT