ADVERTISEMENT

Down to 4 Contest Comments, **Deadline for entries, Thur Aug 29th 7:00 pm**

Posted by pizzzzza on the original thread:

I'll do my picks here soon, but just wanted to comment - I sure hope some NEW and DIFFERENT teams are in the final 4 - it seems like it's always the SAME teams year after year!

Posted by BleedingNavy on the original thread:

Pizzzzza get used to it. With coaches being able to assemble all star teams and right or wrong players moving to the more successful teams there is very little parity anymore. There is hope. I see a few surprises in Class 5 and below. Unfortunately, LCA, Phoebus and Maury could very likely repeat. The Class 6 champ will not as the bulk of Freedoms studs moved to Hayfield.

Last year in Class IV King George and Phoebus were new to the party. In 2022, EC Glass, Kettle Run and Warwick crashed the party. I look for TJ to join the fray in Class 3 and Huguenot is a major contender in Class 4 Region B.

Going to be a fun season.

Posted by General172011 on the original thread:

The dominant programs tend to stay dominant no matter how much turnover they have year in & out. Since my freshman year in high school it’s been the same teams Highland Springs, Varina, LC Bird, Herm, Phoebus, Lake Taylor, Oscar Smith, Salem, Stone Bridge, Riverheads, & Lafayette. Literally, since 2007 all of these teams have been in the Regional Final, State Semifinal or State Championship nearly every year. I’d have to check but I don’t think there’s been a year where at least one of these teams haven’t made it to the State Finals since maybe 2000

Posted by BleedingNavy on the original thread:

Good stuff General172011. I will do some research and help prove your point. Found this Facebook post that's interesting.

The most VHSL championships

1. Hampton= 17 (1920- present)
2. Salem= 10
2. Riverheads= 10
2. Phoebus= 10
3. Powell Valley= 8 (Now Union HS)
4. Maury= 7
5. Appalachia= 6 (Now Union HS)
5. Highland Springs= 6
6. Gate City= 5
6. Parry McCluer= 5
6. Gretna= 5
6. Appomattox= 5
6. Westfield= 5
6. Annandale= 5
7. James Monroe= 4
7. South Hampton= 4
7. Oscar Smith= 4
7. Glass= 4
7. Giles Co.= 4
7. Graham= 4
7. Lunenburg= 4
7. Clintwood= 4 (Now Ridgeview HS)
8. Madison Co.= 3
(10 others tied with 3)

No I’m saying like since 2000, has their been a year where neither of these teams made the Final? Every year at least one of these powerhouse programs is guaranteed a State Title appearance.

2003. So for 21 straight years, at least one these teams represented their school with the Trophy on the line sheesh🥴. If you include Westfield to the fray you’d have to go back to 1997 to see a VHSL Title Game not include one of the aforementioned teams

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT