ADVERTISEMENT

East Rock up 51 to 6 over Gap halftime

ER learned from the first matchup. They have about as complete a team as I have seen since Wilson during their run to the title game a few years ago.

ER learned from the first matchup. They have about as complete a team as I have seen since Wilson during their run to the title game a few years ago.

I know nothing about East Rock, just scores, but not sure thats a Good comparison. Yes Wilson was good but Richlands didnt have a very good team that year and took them to OT. But they seem to be a lot better than that Wilson team.

@lovethisgame78, having watched a ton of HS football myself, that Wilson team was legit. Comparing any team is dangerous but I just wanted to try and put context for anyone from this area that hadn’t gotten an opportunity to see ER. Are they world beaters? Time will tell but they have the pieces to hoist the trophy in Salem in my humble opinion.

Buffalo Gap's defense was bad most of the year. The first time Gap and ER played, Gap was able to score with them, ER had a couple turnovers, and ER's QB just missed some wide open WR's. ER came out throwing, and not missing. Then the running lanes opened up where any player on their team could have gained 10 yards a carry. Most impressive thing about ER is their speed and depth. Most of their guys only play one way. Gap's Rivenburg was probably still banged up and worn out from his previous game and still had a monster game on offense. Gap had one fast player and ER had about ten that could also rest on offense or defense. Congratulations to ER, I hope they win it all.

I have seen East Rock, Radford, Central Woodstock, and Appomattox play this year. In my opinion, East Rock has the best offense, lethal in the air or ground and has a RB with ridiculous speed, quickness, and strength. Radford has the best defense, physical and quick upfront with great team speed in the backfield, all good tacklers, disciplined. Radford reminds me of last year's Bull Islanders. Appomattox is second in both categories, great run blocking, good size on the lines, defensive speed. Central is fast too, but I saw them get completely abused by Riverheads. The Falcons are the only team I can't see in Salem.

I'd love to hear the breakdown on the A and D teams.

I have seen East Rock, Radford, Central Woodstock, and Appomattox play this year. In my opinion, East Rock has the best offense, lethal in the air or ground and has a RB with ridiculous speed, quickness, and strength. Radford has the best defense, physical and quick upfront with great team speed in the backfield, all good tacklers, disciplined. Radford reminds me of last year's Bull Islanders. Appomattox is second in both categories, great run blocking, good size on the lines, defensive speed. Central is fast too, but I saw them get completely abused by Riverheads. The Falcons are the only team I can't see in Salem.

I'd love to hear the breakdown on the A and D teams.

I’d imagine that most would agree that Graham is the favorite to win region D over Richlands since they won 45-0 against them earlier in the season. Graham has won 11 straight since losing the first game against Bluefield, the defending WV AA state champs.

Graham goes as Cameron Allen goes. Cam is committed to play at Purdue next season as a defensive back but he’s proved to be SWVA’s most explosive offensive player so far. He has over 2,000 yards passing, over 1,500 yards rushing, and 45 total touchdowns on the season. On defense he has 4 interceptions with 3 returned for touchdowns.

Graham has 3 good receivers and one great one in Devin Lester. Lester has over 1,100 yards and 15 touchdowns. Last week against union he caught 8 passes for 165 yards.

Their backfield consists of two big running backs in Tre Booker and Jaziere Reed. Both are close to 220 lbs. Not overly fast but very hard to bring down.

Their interior of the offensive line isn’t very big but they are anchored at the tackles by Gabe Sesco (6’7” 270) & freshman Brody Meadows (6’8” 280) who already holds D1 offers.

Their defense has greatly improved over the season. Since the loss to Bluefield they’re giving up less than 11 PPG. They got a transfer from Princeton, WV midway through the season that plays linebacker which has helped their run defense tremendously. Their secondary has 4 athletes that would match up against anyone in AA.

***If Richlands pulls the upset, they’re one of the most fundamentally sound teams left playing. They’re not overly athletic but they have a QB that can extend plays and a few WR’s that are great route runners.

Their defense pitched a shutout against Grayson County in round 1 and held high scoring Ridgeview to 21 last week.

If they make it past Graham I wouldn’t count them out due to Coach Mance always having them prepared.

Here is Cam Allen’s Hudl from the first matchup vs. Richlands.

Cuz i really believe 2A was really down that year.

Because why though? Because it wasn’t a traditional team in the championship?

That Wilson squad advanced to at least the state Semis 3 out of 4 years.

The crazy thing about that squad is the amount of players who have went on to have college careers.

3 of the 4 DBs played in college. 1 is playing baseball but is a pitcher for Coastal Carolina. One is at Army (believe he’s still playing. Suffered a leg injury his freshmen year) and the other just finished his career at Hampden-Sydney)

1 LB is at Norfolk State. The other decided to not play college ball after his leg injury.

I know one of the DL/OL also went on to play college somewhere.

One RB went to Shepard, one OL went somewhere and then the QB is a TE and JMU

It’s wild to think just how much talent was on that 2A roster for those few years

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT