ADVERTISEMENT

Best Since 2013 To Never Win State Title

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
I cannot recall what it was but earlier this week I got to thinking about the teams who have been good but have not won a state title. Specifically I was thinking the best teams since the realignment of 2013, not all-time. Here is what I came up with for Class 6.

Top 4 Without a State Final Appearance
Colonial Forge - 73% Win Pct. with a mark of 96-35
Patriot - 69% Win Pct. with a mark of 83-37
Mountain View - 64% Win Pct. with a mark of 82-45
South Lakes - 63% Win Pct. with a mark of 78-44

Top 4 To Appear In State Final But Not Win
Lake Braddock - 76% Win Pct. with a mark of 102-31, 0-1 in State Finals
James Madison - 70% Win Pct. with a mark of 92-38, 0-2 in State Finals
West Springfield - 56% Win Pct. with a mark of 65-51, 0-1 in State Finals
North Stafford - 53% Win Pct. with a mark of 66-58, 0-1 in State Finals

So my question for fans of Class 6 is who from these two groups do you feel best about in 2024 and why?

Reactions: 1amishfootballfan
Interesting. Some very good football programs here. I am assuming the records here are 2013-2023 and State Final Appearance is all-time.

From northern NOVA, Patriot and Madison both return their starting QBs and both have a multiple-D1-offered RB. Along with Lake Braddock, they should be among the better teams in the fall of 2024.

Interesting. Some very good football programs here. I am assuming the records here are 2013-2023 and State Final Appearance is all-time.

From northern NOVA, Patriot and Madison both return their starting QBs and both have a multiple-D1-offered RB. Along with Lake Braddock, they should be among the better teams in the fall of 2024.
Yes, your assumption would be correct.

I cannot recall what it was but earlier this week I got to thinking about the teams who have been good but have not won a state title. Specifically I was thinking the best teams since the realignment of 2013, not all-time. Here is what I came up with for Class 6.

Top 4 Without a State Final Appearance
Colonial Forge - 73% Win Pct. with a mark of 96-35
Patriot - 69% Win Pct. with a mark of 83-37
Mountain View - 64% Win Pct. with a mark of 82-45
South Lakes - 63% Win Pct. with a mark of 78-44

Top 4 To Appear In State Final But Not Win
Lake Braddock - 76% Win Pct. with a mark of 102-31, 0-1 in State Finals
James Madison - 70% Win Pct. with a mark of 92-38, 0-2 in State Finals
West Springfield - 56% Win Pct. with a mark of 65-51, 0-1 in State Finals
North Stafford - 53% Win Pct. with a mark of 66-58, 0-1 in State Finals

So my question for fans of Class 6 is who from these two groups do you feel best about in 2024 and why?
North Stafford had a great run where I think they made three straight semifinal appearances. One of which they lost to Lake Taylor when North Stafford had the game won and Lake Taylor kicked a field goal with less than a second left to win it. Another was when they were on the wrong end of a touchdown call at Phoebus or Oscar Smith (one of the 757 teams I forget). I forget what happened in the other semifinal. But coaching cost them one trip to the state final and a bad call cost them another trip.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT