ADVERTISEMENT

Best Since 2013 Not To Win State Title

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
I cannot recall what it was but earlier this week I got to thinking about the teams who have been good but have not won a state title. Specifically I was thinking the best teams since the realignment of 2013, not all-time. Here is what I came up with for Class 2.

Top 4 Without a State Final Appearance
Union - 78% Win Pct. with a mark of 105-29
Ridgeview - 66% Win Pct. with a mark of 66-33
Luray - 59% Win Pct. with a mark of 71-48
Amelia - 56% Win Pct. with a mark of 68-52

Top 4 To Appear In State Final But Not Win
Clarke - 79% Win Pct. with a mark of 99-26, 0-1 in State Finals
Central Woodstock - 71% Win Pct. with a mark of 91-36, 0-1 in State Finals
Buckingham - 65% Win Pct. with a mark of 72-38, 0-1 in State Finals
Strasburg - 63% Win Pct. with a mark of 77-44, 0-4 in State Finals
Stuarts Draft - 63% Win Pct. with a mark of 79-46, 0-2 in State Finals

So my question for fans of Class 2 is who from these two groups do you feel best about in 2024 and why?

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Union - my early pick to win Region D. Not sure if they can get past the C winner. Lost a few important seniors but had a very talented sophomore class that should keep them in the hunt the next two seasons.

Ridgeview didn’t have the season they were used to last year but are returning one of the most talented quarterbacks in all of class 2. If they can keep him upright it wouldn’t surprise me if they make a run. They’ve lost handily in the region playoffs the last 3 seasons to Southwest District teams but they usually play the Mountain 7 District teams tough (especially Union) so depending on how the seedings go they may have a shot.

Depends on if you are talking about Best Team as in 1 year that didn't win the title that year or best overall programs to not win a title since 2013.

Immediately, Union, Poquoson, Draft, Clarke come to mind if going by overall programs. If going by one given year for a great team that didn't win the title, the year Union lost to Appo close in the semi's (James Mitchell's senior year I believe) and I believe on that same day across the state, the Poquoson team that lost to RE Lee Staunton were both great teams. Appo beat RE Lee in a very close game for the title the following week.

Ridgeview has never advanced beyond the Region Title game and if my memory is correct, has only played for the Region D title once. Got to get out of the region to be considered and that applies to Amelia and Luray also. As for Buckingham, if there were any knowledge about offense, they might not be considered at all because they would have had a state title by now with the talent they currently have and have had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stabler1980
Region D, hard to pick against Graham. Union's sophomore class was special and they have great talent, but they had everything in place against Graham last year playing at home in Region Title Game and still lost. Union's QB graduating hurts. Graham's loss of Jennings hurts, but Graham is once again, loaded with talent. I think those 2 have another epic game for the Region Title. I just don't think Ridgeview, GCity, or Tazewell can overcome Graham/Union.

Region C, Appo is loaded with talent, but losing a guy like Doug Smith is worth 7 to 10 points per game. Glenvar is right there and so is Gretna. I think Appo, Gretna, Glenvar are a toss up and Radford and Martinsville the second tier behind those 3.

Region B. Again, if Buckingham would simply insert a basic screen pass or just 4 misdirection plays per game, then they have a shot to overcome the favorites in Riverheads and Clarke. Hard to pick against Riverheads. Central with the loss of the coach is a huge one, and also losing those 2 senior absolute studs and first team All Staters. I would guess Riverheads and Clarke. Luray and Strasburg just seem to be incredibly hot and cold. They look great 1 week then totally different the next. Draft always had a shot and if not Clarke or Riverheads, Draft has been down a bit and is due to be good again and could possibly be in the chase along with Buckingham and Luray and Strasburg.

Region A. Poquoson and King William by a big margin.

Last edited:
I think Union not making it to a state title game says more about the strength of Region C compared to Region D's failure. It's even more shocking considering there should be several legacy kids from legendary powerhouse teams from that end of the state that play for Union as the school was a merger of Powell Valley and Appalachia.

I think Union not making it to a state title game says more about the strength of Region C compared to Region D's failure. It's even more shocking considering there should be several legacy kids from legendary powerhouse teams from that end of the state that play for Union as the school was a merger of Powell Valley and Appalachia.
Lot of Union's issues was Appomattox more than Region C. No offense to Region C as Region C is my Region as a Radford Bobcat. It is just that Appo went on one of the greatest runs In VA Football History for the Class 2 Division and it wouldn't have mattered who Appo faced in the state semis, Region (A, B, C or D) that team was in trouble. I think it's more of a Testament to Appo than it is Region C, and one could make the argument with those great Union teams and Richlands was great through about 2017 then Graham reawakening from its 10 year sleep after losing legendary Glynn Carlock, that Region D might have actually been the toughest from top to bottom.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT