ADVERTISEMENT

EASTERN VIEW @ COURTLAND! WHO WINS?

I’m still trying to find how EV is so powerful. Watched the Orange game twice and they looked like an average team against a bottom dweller 5a school. I don’t think EV is in the same breath as Louisa, Monacan, and Dinwiddie. If Courtland wins it will be no shock. Courtland has more athletes..I just question their playcalling. The East is simple. 1. LT 2. Louisa 3. Lafayette 4. Dinwiddie and 5. Monacan/King’s Fork

Reactions: blackknight_pride
I’m still trying to find how EV is so powerful. Watched the Orange game twice and they looked like an average team against a bottom dweller 5a school. I don’t think EV is in the same breath as Louisa, Monacan, and Dinwiddie. If Courtland wins it will be no shock. Courtland has more athletes..I just question their playcalling. The East is simple. 1. LT 2. Louisa 3. Lafayette 4. Dinwiddie and 5. Monacan/King’s Fork
Did you watch the EV/Dinwiddie game last year?

Did you watch the EV/Dinwiddie game last year?
I did. EV did well exposing of Dinwiddie’s secondary. They were definitely one of the best teams in all of 4a and had they been in the West, they would’ve played at least in the state semi’s... Without question, Salem was the only team out west that could’ve beaten them!!! I believe they took a significant step back this year. Hunter was an once and a lifetime talent. Sad that colleges looked at his physical attributes and not his heart and talent. Major D1 player..That imo is missing this year. They are a good team but not head and shoulders better than the competition like they were last year.

Reactions: OCBoy
EV is no good because of the talent lost last year? But Louisa lost 18 of 22 starters I saw a poster say a few months ago. Louisa has played no one other than Courtland. The schools Louisa have beat have the same record as the schools Louisa has beat this year. The guys from the west hate on EV because they have no size or D-1 talent.....yet they still win!! GW has D-1 talent every year but how many state titles have they won late. I am no EV fan by any means but the guys win ball games with these so called undersized kids you all speak of! All I am saying is give credit where credit is due!! EV can play with the best of them. But thats my opinion, and you all have your opinions of them....the reality is opinions really mean nothing and these two teams will line up toe to toe tonight and see who the bigger man is. Then tomorrow, sunday, and all next week you will make excuses and argue about something else..........most likely something about salem lol good luck to all teams tonight!! play hard and stay healthy!! Wish i could catch a game but instead ill be working!

EV is good make no mistake ir we wouldnt be having this coversation about them. I am not looking past them thats for sure. I really thought with a the graduation losses Louisa would step back, but tgey have alot of kids and alot of kids that got playing time last year in lopsided wins. They also have Smith who alone elevates the whole team. A heathy CT would make a difference really, and Chancellor gave them fits and they are in rebuild mode.

@EVcyc care to elaborate

Sry I'm not on the boards and I was told you had a question..

I believe that is true, Stallings, has transferred. The move was strictly about Jeff and not about EV. As for the rest of this thread, I don't have much to say as I haven't seen too much. I would assume the conversations will be the same for the rest of the year.. those who don't believe, will say they don't play anyone (which is tough to dispute) and those that do believe will point to last year's Dinwiddie game (which is tough to dispute, except it was last year). If they beat CT, that won't change either opinion, as it appears CT isn't getting much respect on here.

Juniors Noah Robinson and Courtland transfer Adrian Williams elevate Louisa as well. Definitely remember the name Noah Robinson, caught a TD against Courtland and had a breakout game against KG on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:
EV wins relatively easy. Consistency, player buy in, strength and conditioning program, and coaching have EV in the “haves” category in a “have not” district.

I think Coach Thomas does a really good job, and Coach Hatfield is smart enough to allow him to do his thing.

EV is no good because of the talent lost last year? But Louisa lost 18 of 22 starters I saw a poster say a few months ago. Louisa has played no one other than Courtland. The schools Louisa have beat have the same record as the schools Louisa has beat this year. The guys from the west hate on EV because they have no size or D-1 talent.....yet they still win!! GW has D-1 talent every year but how many state titles have they won late. I am no EV fan by any means but the guys win ball games with these so called undersized kids you all speak of! All I am saying is give credit where credit is due!! EV can play with the best of them. But thats my opinion, and you all have your opinions of them....the reality is opinions really mean nothing and these two teams will line up toe to toe tonight and see who the bigger man is. Then tomorrow, sunday, and all next week you will make excuses and argue about something else..........most likely something about salem lol good luck to all teams tonight!! play hard and stay healthy!! Wish i could catch a game but instead ill be working!
I have no hate for EV or anyone actually. I kind of like a team without all the D1 recruits and a little undersized. They rely on team ball and execution.

Not sure where the "no size" comes from. That was definitely true a few years back as it related to their lines. I would say for the past 3 years or so they've had a larger than average line that plays very physical.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Sry I'm not on the boards and I was told you had a question..

I believe that is true, Stallings, has transferred. The move was strictly about Jeff and not about EV. As for the rest of this thread, I don't have much to say as I haven't seen too much. I would assume the conversations will be the same for the rest of the year.. those who don't believe, will say they don't play anyone (which is tough to dispute) and those that do believe will point to last year's Dinwiddie game (which is tough to dispute, except it was last year). If they beat CT, that won't change either opinion, as it appears CT isn't getting much respect on here.
Wish the best for him

Who said anything about EV being small? Who said anything about them not having any D1 talent? Who is hating on them? If EV was in the West, especially Region C, they’d more than likely be playing in the state semi’s yearly.

Reactions: Shruikan
Who said anything about EV being small? Who said anything about them not having any D1 talent? Who is hating on them? If EV was in the West, especially Region C, they’d more than likely be playing in the state semi’s yearly.

Pretty sure this game is going to be talked about a lot here regardless of the outcome, but I've gotta disagree with you on your assertion that EV would "more than likely" be playing in the state semifinals yearly if they were in Region C. Quarterfinals? Yeah, we're on the same page. I think EV would've won Region C last year, but I don't think they'd be a shoo-in for the region title on a yearly basis. Sherando beat them handily in 2015 and nearly won in 2016 with a team that ended up 5-5. With Tuscarora coming to Region C next year I think EV would still have their work cut out for them. It certainly wouldn't be the gauntlet that the top 4 or so of Regions B and D are, but I have my doubts that they'd be in the semifinals every year.

Reactions: hamspear
Pretty sure this game is going to be talked about a lot here regardless of the outcome, but I've gotta disagree with you on your assertion that EV would "more than likely" be playing in the state semifinals yearly if they were in Region C. Quarterfinals? Yeah, we're on the same page. I think EV would've won Region C last year, but I don't think they'd be a shoo-in for the region title on a yearly basis. Sherando beat them handily in 2015 and nearly won in 2016 with a team that ended up 5-5. With Tuscarora coming to Region C next year I think EV would still have their work cut out for them. It certainly wouldn't be the gauntlet that the top 4 or so of Regions B and D are, but I have my doubts that they'd be in the semifinals every year.
I’d make the argument that EV would’ve played in the West Semi’s in 2016, 2017 and would more than likely be the favorites to come out of the entire West in 2018. Region B is a gauntlet. Though I think D is the deepest and more than 6 teams could win the Region, Region B’s top 4 with Dinwiddie, Monacan, Louisa and EV is a gauntlet. If they were in Region C, they’d more than likely be undefeated and get the 1 seed, meaning Sherando and Woodgrove (who has been Sherando’s kryptonite) would have to destroy each other before playing EV. They’d have the best shot in Region C year in and year out.. That’s no diss at all.

Reactions: Shruikan
I’d make the argument that EV would’ve played in the West Semi’s in 2016, 2017 and would more than likely be the favorites to come out of the entire West in 2018. Region B is a gauntlet. Though I think D is the deepest and more than 6 teams could win the Region, Region B’s top 4 with Dinwiddie, Monacan, Louisa and EV is a gauntlet. If they were in Region C, they’d more than likely be undefeated and get the 1 seed, meaning Sherando and Woodgrove (who has been Sherando’s kryptonite) would have to destroy each other before playing EV. They’d have the best shot in Region C year in and year out.. That’s no diss at all.

No worries, I'm not taking it as a diss. I just disagree. :p

Sherando would have to play Woodgrove in the scenario you outlined, yeah, but Woodgrove has only played Sherando once so I'm not sure I'd call them our kryptonite. I'd fancy Sherando's chances against Eastern View this year considering many of the skill players that played against EV in 2016 as sophomores are still on the team and Sherando is overall a much bigger and faster team this year than in 2016.

Woodgrove and Eastern View have played one game against each other and Woodgrove won 49-7. Woodgrove was 9-4 that year and Eastern View was 10-2. So considering Eastern View is 1-2 against Sherando and Woodgrove I'm not sure where the confidence is coming from that they'd beat Sherando and Woodgrove/soon-to-be Tuscarora more often than not.

Woodgrove is also 1-7 all time against Tuscarora so it wouldn't get any easier for EV in the coming years.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
No worries, I'm not taking it as a diss. I just disagree. :p

Sherando would have to play Woodgrove in the scenario you outlined, yeah, but Woodgrove has only played Sherando once so I'm not sure I'd call them our kryptonite. I'd fancy Sherando's chances against Eastern View this year considering many of the skill players that played against EV in 2016 as sophomores are still on the team and Sherando is overall a much bigger and faster team this year than in 2016.

Woodgrove and Eastern View have played one game against each other and Woodgrove won 49-7. Woodgrove was 9-4 that year and Eastern View was 10-2. So considering Eastern View is 1-2 against Sherando and Woodgrove I'm not sure where the confidence is coming from that they'd beat Sherando and Woodgrove/soon-to-be Tuscarora more often than not.

Woodgrove is also 1-7 all time against Tuscarora so it wouldn't get any easier for EV in the coming years.
Well said. Thank you for enlightening me in a respectful manner bro. I’m not familiar with ball up your way so I change my prospective that EV would rule 4C.

So I watched the game today and my consensus is Courtland is just an average to below average team. I didn’t see anything about them that made me think dang they are a good damn team. They should have went to the passing game more. The Lewis kid was the most impressive player on the field other than Lowry last night. I agree with hoos Courtland was and is very conservative in the play calling and it’s hurt courtland severely. IMO it looked like EV never played with any urgency and could have used tempo to put this game on a running clock. Both teams need to clean up the mistakes. Way too many mistakes and unsportsmanlike penalties. A lot of turnovers in the game. The second int by Lowry looked to me as if his arm was hit when he threw causing the int. The Chancellor/Courtland game is looking to be a real good game. Hopefully both teams get it together before the playoffs. Good luck to them both on the rest of the season.

Last edited:
I hope EV doesn’t fall into the trap of going through the motions during the regular season....planning to turn it on in the playoffs. That seldom works. Too bad this district is still down.

Reactions: mbonape1 and OCBoy
I hope EV doesn’t fall into the trap of going through the motions during the regular season....planning to turn it on in the playoffs. That seldom works. Too bad this district is still down.
It looked as if EV took a step backwards last night as far as offense. It reminded me of the team when Stallings was the qb a few years ago. According to the paper it was quoted they kept a basic offense of just running because it was wet, so not sure. I think the district win totals for each team will be higher than last year though

It looked as if EV took a step backwards last night as far as offense. It reminded me of the team when Stallings was the qb a few years ago. According to the paper it was quoted they kept a basic offense of just running because it was wet, so not sure. I think the district win totals for each team will be higher than last year though
Holmes laid some pretty good hits on Courtland tacklers. It almost looked they were avoiding making contact with him sometimes. To not be any bigger than he is, Holmes packs a punch.

Holmes laid some pretty good hits on Courtland tacklers. It almost looked they were avoiding making contact with him sometimes. To not be any bigger than he is, Holmes packs a punch.
He sure does. Lowry laid some hits last night too I seen

So I watched the game today and my consensus is Courtland is just an average to below average team. I didn’t see anything about them that made me think dang they are a good damn team. They should have went to the passing game more. The Lewis kid was the most impressive player on the field other than Lowry last night. I agree with hoos Courtland was and is very conservative in the play calling and it’s hurt courtland severely. IMO it looked like EV never played with any urgency and could have used tempo to put this game on a running clock. Both teams need to clean up the mistakes. Way too many mistakes and unsportsmanlike penalties. A lot of turnovers in the game. The second int by Lowry looked to me as if his arm was hit when he threw causing the int. The Chancellor/Courtland game is looking to be a real good game. Hopefully both teams get it together before the playoffs. Good luck to them both on the rest of the season.
I mostly agree, but my impression is Courtland just doesn't practice passing enough. The QB instantly just throws it to the 1st read every time. Lewis was definitely the second best player on the field, and it's a shame they don't even attempt the read option with him.

Same things I saw against Louisa. Courtland simply quit on plays many times.

@courtlandcougars1987 are you gone for weeks again? There were most definitely NOT six new players out there for Courtland.

Screen-Shot-2016-08-15-at-6.53.04-AM.png

And @VAHSFB2000 what's up?

Other than 98 yards on the first Courtland possession of the game. EV held them to 50 yards the rest of the game. Didn’t appear that way after watching the game yesterday but I assume the penalties negated some of it.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Courtland could not tackle at all!!! Couldn't move the ball either except on that first opening drive. You have to be able to stop the run if you want to have a chance and eastern view didn't really have to do anything fancy offensively. Eastern view was the more physical team and more disciplined team friday night. I thought Courtland did show more stuff on offense this time but just could never get zin going. All I have heard is this "3 headed monster" for courtland in the backfield but that is clearly not true. They only have two impressive players on Offense, White and Lewis. I do think courtland will win out and finish 8-2 but not a deep run playoff team. Most likely a first round knockout but a small chance for a upset .seeing both Eastern View and Louisa this season I would say Louisa is the more superior team. Louisa just has too much speed right now and a player named Brandon Smith lol

Reactions: 7time
Courtland could not tackle at all!!! Couldn't move the ball either except on that first opening drive. You have to be able to stop the run if you want to have a chance and eastern view didn't really have to do anything fancy offensively. Eastern view was the more physical team and more disciplined team friday night. I thought Courtland did show more stuff on offense this time but just could never get zin going. All I have heard is this "3 headed monster" for courtland in the backfield but that is clearly not true. They only have two impressive players on Offense, White and Lewis. I do think courtland will win out and finish 8-2 but not a deep run playoff team. Most likely a first round knockout but a small chance for a upset .seeing both Eastern View and Louisa this season I would say Louisa is the more superior team. Louisa just has too much speed right now and a player named Brandon Smith lol
EV ran a vanilla offense the whole game not needing to throw the ball

He disappeared after the Louisa game too. He’s only here when courtland wins. Like hoos said he got some explains to do
You can guarantee if Courtland gets in the playoffs, Skynard1 will be back picking the upset...which will NEVER happen with that team.

If skynard were at the Courtland/EV game and saw what we saw, I'd guarantee he would not say that. He was at the Ponax game though.

Great discussions in a few of these recent threads, good job everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT