ADVERTISEMENT

EMOLS

onlylabs

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2014
Midlothian
With the understanding there is no tackle eligible in HS so not thinking of any trick plays….can an offensive lineman number (50-79) be the EMOLS to a side? Assuming 4 in the backfield so legal formation otherwise. Might be a run or pass play but no ineligible player would go downfield if pass.

I don't know what EMOLS is, but based on context I'm going to answer this as if it means End Man on Line of Scrimmage. If I'm wrong, then I'm answering question that wasn't asked.

Sure, a lineman numbered 50-79 can be on the end. He's not eligible, but there's no rule specific to the numbering and alignment.

so if across the line of scrimmage you have numbers 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, and 56 then the offense wouldn't have any eligible receivers on the line and it would be a legal formation?
What if instead of 51 you had 81? Would 50 be ineligible and 81 eligible?

so if across the line of scrimmage you have numbers 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, and 56 then the offense wouldn't have any eligible receivers on the line and it would be a legal formation?
What if instead of 51 you had 81? Would 50 be ineligible and 81 eligible?
That is correct. All players on the line would be ineligible by number in the first scenario, but it is a legal formation. The only constraint on a legal formation with respect to numbering is that there needs to be at least 5 players 50-79 on the line (unless the numbering exception applies on a scrimmage kick, where you can have less than 5). Your first scenario meets that requirement so it’s legal, they just can’t do eligible receiver activity (be first to intentionally touch a forward pass, go downfield on a pass beyond the neutral zone, etc).

Second scenario, 81 is eligible by number but ineligible by position because they’re covered up by your #50 who is on the end of the line. So 81 is ineligible as well.

You could have all 11 players out there with numbers 50-79. As long as it's a running play, there's nothing illegal about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT