ADVERTISEMENT

Essex 0 King George 7 End of 1st...

Essex Trojan1

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
May 17, 2009
We got the ball 1st and 1st play fumbled it on our 15 off a bad handoff. 3 plays later kg td. 10:45min

At the half. KG 7 Essex 0. Essex had a a shot to score with a 4th and goal, attempted a pass that got picked off. Essex still working to get that offense in order.

Starting 4th... KG 7 Essex 0. Both teams turning the ball over. Essex has about 5.

King George 20 Essex 0 Final. With 20 something seconds remaining, Essex attempted a past that got picked off and returned about 60 yards for a king George TD as time expired. Essex had 9 turnovers tonight.

Last edited:
Tough game to lose for Essex. They will build off of their loss tonight, and the best
Thing about a loss on Friday night is Monday's practice is only 2 days away.
I know it is tough to start out 0-2, but there is still a lot of football to play this year.
You guys keep playing for November!

We can get ANTHING going on offense. Not because we don't have the personnel. Passing game needs work. I bs u not, but KG had their whole D in the box on us a couple times. Every time we started making progress tonight on drives, here comes a fumble or int. But, we'll be alright. Might be like Galax last year...slow start but put it together at the end. Essex defense is SOLID. This game was close. It was 7-0 til under 5min remaining in the 4th. Well, 2A King William next week, 5A Deep Run after, bye week and then 3A James Monroe to close out the non district.

Turnovers galore as you said. I think all scores so far against Essex have come off turnovers (including 3 pick 6s out of 5 TDs). I was able swing by to see the 2nd half. Very few penalties on Essex which was good. Yes, tough to be 0-2.

1) Essex has played a 2A power and a good 4A team.
2) Turnovers and more Turnovers.

As you said EssexTrojan1, the D is stout. Essex has some great size on line as we all know.

However, just my opinion (feel free to disagree), and it is early in the season, but 3) Essex just does not have the crazy good skill weapons that Essex has been blessed with the past several seasons (the state runner up years v Goochland and Thornhill's crew and some last year, Martin etc.).

I mean Essex had a state record breaking QB until recently, unreal speed everywhere, and many weapons to throw to all over the field who could catch almost anything. Plus a superb D.

Having said that, Essex is still Essex. The team has talent. The Trojans should win the NND (and go undefeated in old district) and go deep into the 1A playoffs, and is definitely a top 5 1A team who could still end up in Salem if things fall the Trojans way.

Reactions: riversportsfan
Turnovers galore as you said. I think all scores so far against Essex have come off turnovers (including 3 pick 6s out of 5 TDs). I was able swing by to see the 2nd half. Very few penalties on Essex which was good. Yes, tough to be 0-2.

1) Essex has played a 2A power and a good 4A team.
2) Turnovers and more Turnovers.

As you said EssexTrojan1, the D is stout. Essex has some great size on line as we all know.

However, just my opinion (feel free to disagree), and it is early in the season, but 3) Essex just does not have the crazy good skill weapons that Essex has been blessed with the past several seasons (the state runner up years v Goochland and Thornhill's crew and some last year, Martin etc.).

I mean Essex had a state record breaking QB until recently, unreal speed everywhere, and many weapons to throw to all over the field who could catch almost anything. Plus a superb D.

Having said that, Essex is still Essex. The team has talent. The Trojans should win the NND (and go undefeated in old district) and go deep into the 1A playoffs, and is definitely a top 5 1A team who could still end up in Salem if things fall the Trojans way.
The skill players are there. They just need to figure out the QB situation. In order to get those 3 or 4 WRs rolling, they need to sure up that position 1st. As you know, this years QB was last years RB as a freshman with Monroe Martin. I'm told that this is his 1st year EVER playing QB. Just some growing pains I guess we can say. Once Essex can air it out with some success to go along with that killer defense, things will start looking a little more like the last 4 years. Also, the O line took a hit from last year. The new Oline is still a work in progress. Just my opinion on things. We'll be in the hunt come late post season.

Again in my opinion, Essex has the talent to defeat the majority of 1A (and many 2A) teams. Essex will win the 1st few rounds of the 1A playoffs. The offense will improve as the season progresses.

However, it is doubtful the days of Essex scoring at will (with an amazingly explosive offense) will be there this season, especially against strong teams.

If Essex wants to go to Salem this year and defeat Riverheads, George Wythe, Galax, Sussex, or whoever - it will be on the backs of their Defense. The Defense is awesome and will only get better.

Win with the superb defense- as for offense - score enough to win, use game (clock) management, control and play the field position game, limit the turnovers (don't take too many chances and make mistakes), and keep the penalties to a minimum.

In other words, Essex has the D, forget the amazing passing game that is fun to watch, emulate the strategy implemented by last year's Denver Broncos great run...

Reactions: G-DOG2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT