ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble at Hayfield

It remains to be seen what happens. Allegedly, Overton is friendly with both DSA Fritts and the principal, which is allegedly one of the reasons he moved to Hayfield. If the allegations in this article are true, and with so many allegations of varying activities being made some of them have to be true, it is not looking good and at least Overton and Fritts need to be removed from their positions. As to the legality of raising team funds mentioned in the article, there is certainly no reason you cannot seek to raise funds for a team-it is how you do it that matters. The only question is: will FCPS do something or sweep it under the rug?

With regard to the transfers, it is totally understandable that a few kids (like his nephew whose father is the DC) would transfer. And that transfer is fine, regardless of residence, because his father is employed at Hayfield. But as many transfers as alleged? I don't buy it. That defeats the "represent your community" and "play with your friends" aspects of public school football. And before someone cries "they all do it", well, not all programs do it this way. Kids move all the time but in those numbers? Not likely.

As to Overton's ability to coach the true litmus test would have been what does he do with the kids who were already at Hayfield. If he takes them to new heights he deserves to get all the accolades he receives. Looks like we won't get to see that now, if the numbers of transfers alleged is true and they are all legitimate. But with the talent he allegedly recruited at Freedom almost any coach could attain the success he had at the past two seasons with so many outstanding athletes.

Ok, I stated my opinion and I think some will disagree. State your thoughts.

@falcettik -- I completely agree with your observation, "As to Overton's ability to coach the true litmus test would have been what does he do with the kids who were already at Hayfield." That would have been interesting to see a new program built in place, even if a few kids transfer in due to interest with the new staff. That's why I enjoy seeing how teams like South County, Centreville, Madison, Lake Braddock, Stone Bridge, etc. evolve every year with the the ebb and flow of the kids coming up predominately from youth programs.

If they investigate and find no fire for all the smoke, then great; let's see what the season brings; if things end up being born out, then as you ask, "The only question is: will FCPS do something or sweep it under the rug?" Although the detail and extent information now in the press and apparently now in the expanding FCPS investigation, does lead me to wonder why Prince William County schools never caught on to any earlier ("alleged," or should it be "rumored") shenanigans as Freedom became a powerhouse of talented kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: falcettik
It remains to be seen what happens. Allegedly, Overton is friendly with both DSA Fritts and the principal, which is allegedly one of the reasons he moved to Hayfield. If the allegations in this article are true, and with so many allegations of varying activities being made some of them have to be true, it is not looking good and at least Overton and Fritts need to be removed from their positions. As to the legality of raising team funds mentioned in the article, there is certainly no reason you cannot seek to raise funds for a team-it is how you do it that matters. The only question is: will FCPS do something or sweep it under the rug?

With regard to the transfers, it is totally understandable that a few kids (like his nephew whose father is the DC) would transfer. And that transfer is fine, regardless of residence, because his father is employed at Hayfield. But as many transfers as alleged? I don't buy it. That defeats the "represent your community" and "play with your friends" aspects of public school football. And before someone cries "they all do it", well, not all programs do it this way. Kids move all the time but in those numbers? Not likely.

As to Overton's ability to coach the true litmus test would have been what does he do with the kids who were already at Hayfield. If he takes them to new heights he deserves to get all the accolades he receives. Looks like we won't get to see that now, if the numbers of transfers alleged is true and they are all legitimate. But with the talent he allegedly recruited at Freedom almost any coach could attain the success he had at the past two seasons with so many outstanding athletes.

Ok, I stated my opinion and I think some will disagree. State your thoughts.
FCPS is already getting notifications of lawsuits on this matter!

FCPS is already getting notifications of lawsuits on this matter!
Ohhh... let the (other) games begin...

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Didn’t the Principal at Hayfield come over from Freedom last year?

I would expect that every school system has a vetting requirement when anyone raises money for school programs. I know it’s policed strictly here in Dinwiddie. And, a full and complete, and verifiable accounting of where the money was spent is part of that process. It sure doesn’t look like that’s the case at Hayfield.

The administrators better get there act together though. They could win 15 games and the championship and have to forfeit everything for using an illegal player. And that would be a travesty for the kids. And all this just so a few adults can stroke their own egos.

Reactions: edwinanderson2nd
Two sad things to anticipate IF the allegations are true.

One...the administration at Fairfax County Public Schools (as they are in Prince William) are inept and are more worried about virtue signaling than actual learning and morality. I expect them to cover this up for obvious reasons.
Two...the VHSL would be extremely gutless to where they would be scared to issue any type of ban; let alone a lifetime ban. I don't even know if they have a functioning and competent compliance department to even investigate or make a ruling on this to be honest.

Two sad things to anticipate IF the allegations are true.

One...the administration at Fairfax County Public Schools (as they are in Prince William) are inept and are more worried about virtue signaling than actual learning and morality. I expect them to cover this up for obvious reasons.
Two...the VHSL would be extremely gutless to where they would be scared to issue any type of ban; let alone a lifetime ban. I don't even know if they have a functioning and competent compliance department to even investigate or make a ruling on this to be honest.
Correct me if I am wrong but the way I read that article it sounds like FCPS are the ones investigating. I think that in itself means they are taking it seriously.

Just seems like a lot of smoke not to be a fire somewhere. Said that to a friend this weekend when we were discussing.

On the VHSL end... I find it troubling that the school system is doing the investigating and not the VHSL. Granted the VHSL would only be investigating the recruiting aspect and not the financial or bullying part to this equation. We all know transfers happen... the cat is out of the bag at this stage in the game. That said, 30 transfers... come on now, that's excessive.

Realistically when is the last time anyone got in trouble with the VHSL for recruiting/transfers?
Last I recall was when the Beach District sanctioned Ocean Lakes and Coach Scott for his shenanigans recruiting the youth leagues giving them old OLHS jerseys to wear even though the kids were zoned elsewhere. If I’m remembering correctly, it was the district (aka beach principals) that took action though, not the state org (VHSL).

Realistically when is the last time anyone got in trouble with the VHSL for recruiting/transfers?
Last major action by VHSL that I recall was against Pulaski and that was out-of-season practice if I remember correctly...and the following year the out-of-season practice rule was changed to allow for it as a district/region/group decision.

Transfer issue is rampant with no end in sight and/or seemingly little to no attempt by school divisions, districts or regions to scrutinize fortuitous moves by players...especially moves since covid and by upperclassmen.

Last major action by VHSL that I recall was against Pulaski and that was out-of-season practice if I remember correctly...and the following year the out-of-season practice rule was changed to allow for it as a district/region/group decision.

Transfer issue is rampant with no end in sight and/or seemingly little to no attempt by school divisions, districts or regions to scrutinize fortuitous moves by players...especially moves since covid and by upperclassmen.
I think schools just have more things that warrant their attention. Does not mean they should not be paying attention or taking action when necessary. Also think it is a bit of belief that is whatever is best for the student-athlete no matter whether it follows a straight line or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT