ADVERTISEMENT

Ethical question

Probably not, but I'm old school when it comes to scouting - notebook, pad & paper, talk to coaches etc.

Some "districts" used to vote about this in AD meetings-whether or not they would allow it within their district. It was thought of as "unethical" for a long time. It has become pretty common and not thought twice about in football, especially since Hudl has come about. Basketball tends to be a little more personal I think meaning watching a game and taking notes has tended to be the way to go. But with Hudl I think teams tend to ask around to other teams to see if they would trade film on common opponents anyway so that's basicly the same thing without getting seen. If I were coaching I wouldn't care if a team was filming from the stands in football but I would be a little miffed if they were filming in basketball.

Yes it's ethical. Back when Gretna was good in basketball, I scouted and filmed just about everyone we played. (football also)

The game is changing and so is scouting. It's now easy to do tape exchange with programs like HUDL, Krossover, etc. It's also a lot easier to film when you can use your phone to film rather than lugging video equipment in. College teams "scout" using film exchange. If a coach is willing to travel, take notes at quarters and halftime, go ahead and film the game. This allows players to watch also so they can get a "feel" for their opponent. I don't think it's an ethical dilemma. Many coaches are filming while scouting. Some are not. Not a huge deal one way or the other.

In football you trade film with your opponent which isn't done in basketball. Even in football it is frowned upon to film an upcoming opponent without permission.

In football you trade film with your opponent which isn't done in basketball. Even in football it is frowned upon to film an upcoming opponent without permission.
Its not frowned upon in central VA (football). Appo and teama in dogwood do it all the time. going to someones practice and filming is unethical.

Reactions: VolNation85
I don't see it as unethical at all unless there is some sort of agreement within the district that says it's not allowed. Other than that, I say filming an opponents game is part of the business in any sport. I know EC Glass basketball (and just about every other team sport) films their games and often trades with their opponents via Hudl. Nobody around Central Va seems to mind, for any sport. What's the difference in filming and a coach scouting? Both still allow the other team to know the stregnths and weaknesses of their opponent.

I don't see it as unethical at all unless there is some sort of agreement within the district that says it's not allowed. Other than that, I say filming an opponents game is part of the business in any sport. I know EC Glass basketball (and just about every other team sport) films their games and often trades with their opponents via Hudl. Nobody around Central Va seems to mind, for any sport. What's the difference in filming and a coach scouting? Both still allow the other team to know the stregnths and weaknesses of their opponent.

The difference is that sometimes that film isn't only for personal use. They give it to their coaching friends, other opponents... I don't really have a problem with it b/c I know it happens anyway.

I think many, if not most teams film their own home games. If you can film your team, how could you object to the opposing team filming the same game? I know it's a step removed for another opponent to film your game, but does it really matter? And, coaches sharing film is just all part of game these days.

This argument is sort of like the British complaining because the Colonist hid behind trees and shot at their pretty little parade formations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT