ADVERTISEMENT

field conditions

Oct 17, 2019
Whats the vhsl guidelines on moving games when field conditions are lets say not so good? basically mud with a little grass sprinkled in.

I may be wrong but until a regional champion is named, they are not in control. That was what I meant by state play. The state semi-final and championship are their domain and under their control, the first three rounds are not.

I may be wrong but until a regional champion is named, they are not in control. That was what I meant by state play. The state semi-final and championship are their domain and under their control, the first three rounds are not.

i just assumed they were in control in all playoffs but you know what happens when you assume! Lol I was just wondering because narrows field is pure mud! That’s why I was asking

Its all good, and I could be wrong but that's what I was told a few years ago. I hate that the field is in poor condition at Narrows. Could be an advantage if they play well in the slop though. And you never know maybe their county brethren would let them play on their field? Scratch that, I doubt that would ever ever ever happen.

Reactions: Optimal62
Its all good, and I could be wrong but that's what I was told a few years ago. I hate that the field is in poor condition at Narrows. Could be an advantage if they play well in the slop though. And you never know maybe their county brethren would let them play on their field? Scratch that, I doubt that would ever ever ever happen.
No chance there

Yes, the VHSL only has control over the state playoffs. Out this way, September and most of October were dry and the fields are holding up pretty well with the exception of Northumberland which I believe suffers because field hockey is played on it during the fall.

Reactions: Optimal62
This discussion reminds me of the absolutely horrible field that JMU played on the night they won their first national title down in Chattanooga. They were pulling square foot size clumps of sod up all over the place.

Reactions: WP02alum
i just assumed they were in control in all playoffs but you know what happens when you assume! Lol I was just wondering because narrows field is pure mud! That’s why I was asking

Win home field and it's not an issue. If it's not dangerous, the home team will almost always get to decide.

I remember playing at Floyd one year that the field was so bad the refs had to place the ball on the hash marks, because there was so much water in the middle of the field.

Last edited:
I remember back in 88-89 and we as Troopers were assigned to the coal strike in SWVA. I was assigned to a small mine outside of Clay Pool Hill. Salem played Richlands and Willis White had a stud RB can’t remember his name. We worked 4pm to 4am and woke up to see the game, and the field was a quagmire. Needless to say it wasn’t pretty for Salem.

I remember back in 88-89 and we as Troopers were assigned to the coal strike in SWVA. I was assigned to a small mine outside of Clay Pool Hill. Salem played Richlands and Willis White had a stud RB can’t remember his name. We worked 4pm to 4am and woke up to see the game, and the field was a quagmire. Needless to say it wasn’t pretty for Salem.
Might that have been 1992 the infamous "illegal cleats" game?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT