ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL: Lunenburg Central 38-0 Cumberland

Lunenburg any good? Buffalo Gap had the unfortunate experience of playing them in the playoffs once in the mid 80's and once in the mid 90's. Central was on a whole different level then.

Seems like every time Powell Valley made a state title game in 80s and early 90s, Lunenburg Central was the opponent. I know they played three times at least (85, 89, 90). They were a powerhouse and likely would have had 1-2 more state titles if PV didn't stand in the way.

Between 1980 and 1992, Central Lunenburg played in the state title game NINE! times, winning four. In 13 season they made the title game NINE times and won four championships. Helluva run
They also had 7 consecutive seasons 1984-1990 where they did not lose a regular season game.

Reactions: BigWinners
Central's Chippy Chappell a legendary coach and won of the best to ever wear the whistle in the state of Virginia. For any Graham (Bluefield, VA) fans reading this thread. Chappell was a regular at Bluefield, VA's "Cottons Drive Inn" when going on hunting trips with his longtime friend and another legendary coach, Glenn Carlock of Graham (Bluefield).

My wife is from Crewe (Nottoway) and I remember going to two of those absolutely vicious rivalry games with Central Lunenburg and Nottoway back in the late 80's when we were dating. Those games brought folks in the thousands back then and every time they played, it was just talent all over the field.

Lunenburg was infamous for that ready-set-hut offense in which the ball was snapped almost simultaneously as the linemen put their hands on the ground

two state title games between the two were decided by a single point. Crazy good games
Didnt one of those games end with a game winning hail mary by Powell Valley? I swear I remember seeing video of it on youtube somewhere, just cant remember if it was Lunenburg they were playing.

Reactions: BigWinners
On the flip side. When was the last time Cumberland had a winning season?

Didnt one of those games end with a game winning hail mary by Powell Valley? I swear I remember seeing video of it on youtube somewhere, just cant remember if it was Lunenburg they were playing.
Yup. Wasn't a super long Hail Mary but it was a good 35-40 heave pulled in by Rick Webb in side of end zone. Insane ending

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT