ADVERTISEMENT

Final New Kent 56 Bruton 8

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
Three down for Bruton and two left-Poquoson and Tabb, undoubtedly 60-6 type games. I think the Bay Rivers AD’s need to ask some tough questions and take some tough action. It’s time for Div 2 Bruton with a dozen players to move on to another conference or just eliminate varsity football. The certainty of their schedule is highly doubtful and hurts all the teams that play them now. All the Div 3 that play them are in a hunt for a playoff spot and an 0-5 div 2 team only hurts. I’m just about positive Lafayette will not take the forfeit but instead take the no game option and go with 9 game schedule. Next year when Lafayette goes to Div 3 I don’t want to play Bruton but replaced. It’s time for some action. Let the Bay Rivers go to 9 teams and pick up a second non conference game.

I have to agree with you Lafayette. It's unfortunate that a program that once won a lot of games and was always in the playoff picture can't suit up anymore kids than what they do. West Point, a tiny 1A has more kids on the sidelines than Bruton.
I'm wondering if York County is considering closing down Bruton and sending those kids to one of the other York County schools.

I have to agree with you Lafayette. It's unfortunate that a program that once won a lot of games and was always in the playoff picture can't suit up anymore kids than what they do. West Point, a tiny 1A has more kids on the sidelines than Bruton.
I'm wondering if York County is considering closing down Bruton and sending those kids to one of the other York County schools.
I moved to Williamsburg in 1996, 22 years ago. When I eventually found out Bruton was originally the segregated black high school I was a little shocked it was kept open at all when segregation ended here around 1970, I believe. It was a sub standard facility and I would have thought all its students sent to York HS and York country redistricted to keep all 3 HS at about the same population. Maybe keep Bruton as a middle school. Things go strangely down here. At the least discontinue varsity football at Bruton and get VHSL approval for any student at Bruton to play football at Yotk HS. A dozen players is not going unfairly help York vs. Tabb or Grafton. And playing 5 games doesn’t help the football guys at Bruton either. But someone needs to make tough decisions and too many shy away from that.

Reactions: gwb16
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT