ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL: Patrick County 29 Magna Vista 28

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
3A WEST GIRLS: Halftime, Magna Vista 15, Patrick County 5.

Cougars held to 1 point in last 12 minutes.
This post was edited on 3/3 7:55 PM by pizzzzza

Re: Magna Vista 15 Patrick County 5 - HALF

3A WEST GIRLS: Final, Patrick County 29, Magna Vista 28.

Re: Magna Vista 15 Patrick County 5 - HALF

What the world happen did they run UNC 4 corners R what!!!!!!!!!

Roanoke Times Article about the game

A remarkable comeback from a disastrous first half?

Or maybe it was just the 3-point shot by Patrick County senior Beth Williams that accomplished both feats for the Cougars.

Williams' 3-pointer with 4.0 seconds left gave Patrick County a 29-28 victory over Magna Vista in a Group 3A West quarterfinal, moving the Cougars within one win of a trip to Richmond and ending the Warriors' season and their 12-game winning streak.

Patrick County (18-10) trailed 28-26 and had the ball under its basket with 7.8 seconds to play. The Cougars set a triple screen for Williams at the top of the key. She caught the inbounds pass, fired immediately and swished the game-winner.

"The plan was go big or go home," Williams said. "Go for the win and thank God it went in."

At halftime, victory seemed nowhere in sight for Patrick County.

Losers of three previous games this season to Magna Vista, including a 47-19 drubbing in the Piedmont District tournament, the Cougars trailed the Warriors 15-5 after two quarters.

"The kids didn't give up, that's for sure," second-year Patrick County coach Doug Chilton said. "At halftime, you could have thrown the towel in."

Magna Vista (22-3) opened the third quarter with a 3-pointer by Taisha DeShazo for an 18-6 lead, but the Warriors made just one basket the rest of the way against what was mostly a zone defense by the Cougars.

"The zone has always given us problems but as a coach, when your team falls apart like that, I didn't have them prepared for what they were going to do," Magna Vista coach Vicky Hayes said. "I think they were trying to do the right thing; but I didn't get them in the right spots, in the right sets and at the right time."

Patrick County slowly worked its way back into contention, energizing a small but vocal crowd that picked up the decibel level as the fourth quarter unfolded.

Forward Kaleigh Griffith hit two buckets in the lane and Autumn Hubbard nailed a 3-pointer to cut the Cougars' deficit to 22-20.

The visitors finally tied the score at 24 when Hannah Scott scored on a feed from Ebony Reynolds, then Reynolds hit a shot in the lane with 55 seconds left.

Reynolds, who recently topped the 1,000-point mark for her career, was a consistent force on the boards while helping advance the ball against Magna Vista's suffocating press. Once the Cougars were able to get the senior forward the ball in the high post, Reynolds did some damage in the paint.

"With Ebony's athletic ability, she can drive and post and do everything," Williams said. "We want her to use all her skills to her advantage."

Magna Vista took the lead for the final time at 28-26 on two free throws by DeShazo, who scored a game-high 14 points.

That set the stage for Williams, whose 3-pointer looked true from the start.

To most people other than Williams, that is.

"I shut my eyes before it went in," she said.

Magna Vista had a final chance to avoid the wupset, but Griffith intercepted a long inbounds pass in the frontcourt and the Cougars' celebration commenced.

"I just wanted our team to win," Griffith said. "We worked so hard for it. I'm just blessed. It felt great. I knew my team depended on that and I just didn't want to let my team down."

Patrick County's next assignment is a regional semifinal game Thursday against Broadway at Hidden Valley High School. The Cougars' last trip to Roanoke County worked out well when they upset top-seeded Cave Spring in the Conference 32 semifinals.

"We've been the underdog since Day One, with only having three seniors and graduating half our team last year," Williams said. "We've overcome all the difficulties so far."

PATRICK COUNTY (18-10)

Shough 0 1-2 1, Reynolds 3 1-2 7, Wagner 0 0-0 0, Hubbard 3 0-0 7, Williams 2 0-0 6, Scott 1 0-0 2, Griffith 3 0-2 6, Roberson 0 0-0 0, Carter 0 0-0 0. Totals 12 2-6 29.

MAGNA VISTA (22-3)

DeShazo 3 6-7 14, B.Hairston 0 0-0 0, Agee 2 0-0 4, Adams 0 2-2 2, M.Hairston 2 2-3 6, C.Moyer 1 0-0 2, K.Moyer 0 0-0 0, Z.Hairston 0 0-0 0. Totals 8 10-12 28.

Patrick County 4 1 8 16 - 29

Magna Vista 7 8 3 10 - 28

3-point goals - Patrick County 3 (Williams 2, Hubbard), Magna Vista 2 (DeShazo). Total fouls - Patrick County 15, Magna

Vista 9. Fouled out - Shough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT