ADVERTISEMENT

First Colonial's Blake Boyce

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Catchers have always done well in the Eastern Region. Last year, two of the four Virginiapreps.Com district Players of the Year were catchers. First Colonial catcher Blake Boyce will try to etch his name as the Beach district POY as he leads the Patriots on a playoff run.

791745.jpg
"He's just a leader for us," First Colonial coach Scott Stubbe said. "He does a great job of leading the defense from behind the plate and offensively he comes thru in big situations

Blake signed to play for Campbell University of the Altantic Sun Conference. The signing took a weight off Blake's shoulders and he's played more relax than he has in the past. "This year I have a lot more confidence," Blake said. "Committing in the fall was huge. I can just go up to the plate, swing the bat, play like I know how to play."

6-foot-3, 200 pounder was nimble enough to average 10.7 ppg as a forward on the basketball team while finishing as one of the team's top 3-point shooter. He helped the Patriots finish the basketball season with a winning record. Blake says playing basketball helped him get ready for the baseball season. "It definitely helps with conditioning being on the basketball court and running full-court every day."

A four-year starter, Boyce has played catcher, pitcher, first base, and third base in his time at First Colonial. He says the biggest improvement in his game has not been his hitting or play in the field. "It's the mental aspect. I focused on all the physical aspects when I got here. Getting your head on straight makes for an easier game .Baseball is a mental game stay positive good things happen."

Coach Stubbe has also seen the results. "This year he is much more patient at the plate. He's very good at looking for a pitch. If he doesn't get, he takes it. That's a sign of a good hitter."

First Colonial has a big showdown with first place Cox. Blake blasted a homerun in the first game, but First Colonial fell 5-4 to the Falcons. Blake said his primary goal is to help First Colonial make it back to the state playoffs. After back-to back state semi-final appearances in 2005 and 2006, the Patriots have not made it back to the state playoffs. "I would do anything to get back to states," Boyce said. "I think we have a shot because we can compete with anybody. Our pitching is there and we can hit with anybody in the Region."

This post was edited on 5/4 10:43 PM by wgarlick

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News