ADVERTISEMENT

Four Valley Area Teams Still Alive in Regional Finals

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Our buddy Redpridenation has already done a thorough review with predictions for this weekend's four Class 1 regional battles, so I won't duplicate but so much. For the purposes of this thread, I will again stick to the criteria mentioned before......a current Shenandoah team, a current Valley team, or one of the four that left the Shenandoah this year for the Bull Run. Using that as a guideline, we are fortunate to have four teams still left and since two of them will be playing each other, we are guaranteed to have at least one "local" team advance to the state semi-finals, with two or three mathematically possible. Here is the line-up:

Class 1, Region B Final...........Sussex Central at Riverheads..........This will be the Tigers' first visit to Greenville so in a way it will even things out, since there has already been one game played in Sussex and one on a neutral field. So it is only fitting that the Red Pride get a home game in the series. However I don't think the outcome is going to be all that "even" for the visitors. Riverheads just has too darn many weapons this year and I cannot see Sussex being able to stop "all" of them and maybe not any of them. When I read that the Tigers gave up 13 points to Surry and 28 to Altavista, neither of which is an offensive dynamo, that tells me that Sussex will not have the defense it will take to stay on the field with the Gladiators. Yes, they may score enough themselves to keep it interesting, at least for a while, but I think something in the 42-14 range is the most likely outcome and the running clock that some folks are predicting will certainly not surprise me.

Class 2, Region B Final.........East Rockingham at Stuarts Draft.........I have not heard if this is going to be a Friday night game or Saturday afternoon, but if it were to be played on Saturday, I can assure you that a heapin' helpin' of Gladiator fans would come watch just for the entertainment value, because on paper this one looks like a dandy. SD has re-gained its confidence after the Riverheads debacle on the final night of the regular season, whereas East Rock seems to be improving so much from week to week that the team would probably be willing to play a game every DAY if they could get by with it. So can these number 6 Eagles roll into Cougarland and pull off yet another upset? I have to honestly say that I give them a very good chance of doing exactly that. As much as I would like to see an Augusta County doubleheader down in Salem in a couple of weeks, I just have a hunch that East Rock will be up to the task and keep their dream alive. As I mentioned above, this game does guarantee that we will have at least one area team in next weekend's state semi-finals.

Class 3, Region C Final.........Spotswood at Heritage............The Wood is undefeated and around here they are considered the top dog in every poll conducted. So that would appear to make them a formidable opponent for anyone. But Heritage is not just "anyone," and the Blazers will have their hands full. I would LOVE to see them advance, for a number of reasons, but we have to be realistic and admit that they will be the underdogs this weekend, unbeaten or not.

Very straight forward and honest opinion, i like that very much.

Great overview @longtimerhsfan. I would add something that BCKnight made in another thread. East Rock has speed and are playing lights out against the run and pass. Your best bet is to run the ball on them as evidenced by their earlier season issues but the problem I see is that Draft is much more proficient passing than running. IMO SD is an average team rushing the ball but certainly have weapons if they can get them in space with short to medium passes. The Cougars will need to run the ball and find #5 Trenton Morris when on defense. This young man along with several other senior leaders have willed this team to get back to this round of the playoffs.

I am sorry to say that both Augusta County games are on Friday at 7 so we won’t have the crossover crowd of area support between these two schools. One other plug real quick is for any one going to the Draft/East Rock or Riverheads/Sussex game that has a few minutes pregame, come on by Giovanni’s in Greenville for a slice and some football talk. Some of us will be meeting up at ~4:30 to shoot the breeze and put a face to the screen name. There is a reward for the capture of the elusive individual known as XCROSS, lol.

Reactions: Bama1985
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT