ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin vs Riverheads

Will this game be Friday or Saturday. Does Franklin have a chance?
usally all games are on fri until the semi final games, which are on sat, unless they change it up u never know, franklin has scored 220 and given up 247, rhs has scored 518 and given up 120, rhs beat colonial beach 55 to 15 which they lost 33 to 24, so we will see, every team has a chance on any given day, but I like rhs in this game, GO BIG RED

Pretty good info there bama wonder which Riverhead team holds the scoring record for Riverheads( longtimer)

2016 with 641 total (avg 45.785) followed very closely by 2018 with 636, both of those totals were for a 14 game season. The best defensive avg I found was in 2002, 8.727 in 11 games (96 total points). 2017 ranks up there defensively with a 9.571 avg and 134 total points.

Last edited:
Lunenburg runs an offense similar to Riverheads, so I'm guessing the defensive gameplan will be similar

Lunenburg runs an offense similar to Riverheads, so I'm guessing the defensive gameplan will be similar
It don't matter everyone Knows what plays riverheads run they probably got about eight plays that they run with perfection just give it time to develop it always work. You have to be able to stop them and that's a tall task. I haven't seen Galax but it's seems as if there our only hope. You have to beat them up in the trenches if you can't bully/over power them you won't win. If the field was 100 yards wide I bet money on Franklin or Sussex to run around Riverhead lol. In order for anyone to beat them you have to line up head up and run through them.

Last edited:
Reactions: trutiger16
All of our district foes have seen the same 3 plays for years, and still can’t stop em. And some of those teams have been better than what we will see in the playoffs. Oh, and watch out for the pass

Someone may have a player who could run around them, but they certainly aren't slow.

I'll say it again, from what I saw this is the best team Riverheads has had, so good luck

Someone may have a player who could run around them, but they certainly aren't slow.

I'll say it again, from what I saw this is the best team Riverheads has had, so good luck
Better than the 2016 team???

I know by the time the playoffs rolled around in 2016 they were definitely a machine....one heck of a team

Reactions: Bama1985
this team is peaking at the right time, yes we have some weakness on defense, but we are improving that, and we make adjustments during the game if need be, the 2106 team was a machine, and most players from that 2015 team was determined not to lose in the championship game back to back years, and came back hangry to win it all.

In looking through the scores for that team and this there are some interesting parallels. The 2016 team had scored 474 pts through 11 games while giving up 112. This year the team has scored 517 pts through 11 games while giving up 120. The 2016 team had given up 28 pts to East Rock and 26 to Covington. This years team has two games where they have given up 21, to Glenvar and Skyline. On avg both teams are above 42 pts per game and giving up less that 12. I really hadn't thought about the scores until this thread and I just found it interesting.

With all that information I still say there are 5 teams that are legitimately in contention. I am not downplaying what this Riverheads team is when I say that but I do want to point out that the top tier of 1A is pretty solid with these teams spread out in each region. Any of the top 4-6 could win it and there is a lot of football left before someone gets a Gatorade bath in Salem. For me it will be interesting to see if the games go chalk this week or if we have an upset or two. I personally am picking one for sure and thinking hard about a second one.

In looking through the scores for that team and this there are some interesting parallels. The 2016 team had scored 474 pts through 11 games while giving up 112. This year the team has scored 517 pts through 11 games while giving up 120. The 2016 team had given up 28 pts to East Rock and 26 to Covington. This years team has two games where they have given up 21, to Glenvar and Skyline. On avg both teams are above 42 pts per game and giving up less that 12. I really hadn't thought about the scores until this thread and I just found it interesting.

With all that information I still say there are 5 teams that are legitimately in contention. I am not downplaying what this Riverheads team is when I say that but I do want to point out that the top tier of 1A is pretty solid with these teams spread out in each region. Any of the top 4-6 could win it and there is a lot of football left before someone gets a Gatorade bath in Salem. For me it will be interesting to see if the games go chalk this week or if we have an upset or two. I personally am picking one for sure and thinking hard about a second one.
Who are your upsets for this week if you dont mind me asking?

Franklin over Riverheads 26-22 ( I know i can dream right) im calling it !
hope u are wrong, if that is the case u wont get a chance to meet XCROSS if he shows up, both teams still need to win on Friday for that chance to happen, prob better odds on meeting big foot than mr or mrs XCROSS

My upsets if you want to call them that are the mild upset as far as seeding with Chilhowie over JIB and similarly GW over Narrows. Chilhowie lost to two undefeated teams by a combined 9 points with both games in question down to the wire. Narrows is undefeated and are better than some people think but if they have injury issues as some have described on here, I don't think they have the depth to compete with GW's overall athleticism. On a completely different level I think Altavista is going to play Sussex closer than some of the other posters on here but Sussex should win going away if they are who we think they are. W&L has the potential to play with Essex IF and I mean a big IF they turn the Trojans over and convert for td's. Essex had that TO bug earlier in the year and W&L is a better team than their record so it could be a good one if a perfect storm occurs in Tappahannock. The thing about it is Essex creates a ton of turnovers themselves which they normally convert for points. Overall this is a great week to be a high school football fan.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Have to agree beings that the Gladiators have only been held below 45 two times, one time was 28 to 3A Fort Defiance team with a huge D-line and 38 to another fairly large line having Glenvar. I think Franklin must turn Riverheads over and own TOP by a huge margin. Their best defense will be their offense. If the Gladiators are able to keep the ball and hit them while on O, then this game is not close after 2 quarters.

Last edited:
Have to agree beings that the Gladiators have only be held below 45 two times, one time was 28 to 3A Fort Defiance team with a huge D-line and 38 to an fairly large line having Glenvar. I think Franklin must turn Riverheads over and own TOP by a huge margin. Their best defense will be their offense. If the Gladiators are able to keep the ball and hit them while on O, then this game is not close after 2 quarters.
As much as I admire the beauty of your community, I do not want to come to Greenville in that environment next week with my Tigers I hope, so I’m pulling for Franklin.

It a Tri-Rivers thing, I get it. All kidding aside, G-ville is an amazing atmosphere for a game in late fall. If you haven't been then its one of the better entrances in small town football you will witness. While mentioning that I have to say that I really like GW's entrance from a few years ago with the music and walking down the steps through the crowd.

It a Tri-Rivers thing, I get it. All kidding aside, G-ville is an amazing atmosphere for a game in late fall. If you haven't been then its one of the better entrances in small town football you will witness. While mentioning that I have to say that I really like GW's entrance from a few years ago with the music and walking down the steps through the crowd.
Absolutely , im sure Greenville will be rocking !

A hypothetical matchup of 2016 vs this years team has the 2016 team winning 31-30. Interestingly enough after watching the SWVA board and all the talk of how dominant Pikeville Ky is, a matchup with this years team had Pikeville winning 28-27. I am not sold that this is any better a predicting algorithm than the one used on VHSL Reference but it is interesting.

Have to agree beings that the Gladiators have only been held below 45 two times, one time was 28 to 3A Fort Defiance team with a huge D-line and 38 to another fairly large line having Glenvar. I think Franklin must turn Riverheads over and own TOP by a huge margin. Their best defense will be their offense. If the Gladiators are able to keep the ball and hit them while on O, then this game is not close after 2 quarters.
So true about time of posession. I know a lot of the tidewater teams are known for their big play potential and being able to take it to the house at any moment. I'd be careful about calling those home run plays against the Red Machine. If they don't keep the Gladiators defense on the field on sustained drives, Franklin's own defense will get ground into the dirt.

Rapp Co found the weakness and Franklin finds the win, 35-28 :) :p

Zzzzzzz..................

A hypothetical matchup of 2016 vs this years team has the 2016 team winning 31-30. Interestingly enough after watching the SWVA board and all the talk of how dominant Pikeville Ky is, a matchup with this years team had Pikeville winning 28-27. I am not sold that this is any better a predicting algorithm than the one used on VHSL Reference but it is interesting.

Completely contrasting styles. I'm not sure Riverheads has enough speed at all the defensive skill positions to stop Pikeville and on the flip side, Pikeville may not be strong enough to hold the LOS on defense and stop the run game.

A more interesting game might be a healthy Paintsville, KY team v. Riverheads. They are MASSIVE on the LOS and could provide a lot of problems for Riverheads getting them out of the gaps. They're the biggest HS team at the LOS I've seen in years, may be ever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT