ADVERTISEMENT

Friday, March 2nd @ Jimmy R Wilkins, JR Athletics & Events Center (Shenandoah University)

VerizonSportsFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 2, 2003
Game times have been set for the VHSL Class 4 girls’ and boys’ quarterfinal basketball doubleheader that will be held March 2 at Shenandoah University’s James R. Wilkins Jr., Athletics and Events Center.

In the opening game, Millbrook (25-0) will face William Byrd (20-6) in the girls’ quarterfinals at 5 p.m. The Pioneers, who advanced to the Class 4 semifinals last season, defeated Loudoun Valley 76-56 in Thursday’s Region 4C championship game. William Byrd, which led 23-18 at halftime, fell 50-40 against Carroll County (23-3) in the Region 4D championship game.

That contest will be followed at 7 p.m. as Handley (22-4) battles Jefferson Forest (17-10) in the boys’ quarterfinals.

The Judges avenged a regular-season loss with a 58-51 victory over defending state champion Loudoun Valley (24-2) on Thursday. Jefferson Forest lost 55-47 against E.C. Glass (21-5) in the Region 4D title game. The Cavaliers had split with E.C. Glass during the regular season.

The doors open at 4 p.m. State tournament tickets are $10. The only accepted passes are VHSL, VHSCA, and VIAAA.

Semifinal games are slated on March 5 or 6 at sites and times to be announced. The Millbrook-William Byrd winner will face the winner between Loudoun Valley and Carroll County. The Handley-Jefferson Forest winner will face the Loudoun Valley-E.C. Glass winner.

The state championship games are set for March 10 at Virginia Commonwealth University’s Siegel Center. The girls’ Class 4 title game is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. That game will be followed with the Class 4 boys’ championship game at 6:30 p.m.

Versatile Handley boys looking for Class 4 quarterfinal triumph
  • By ROBERT NIEDZWIECKI THE WINCHESTER STAR | The Winchester Star
  • 5a98e10c01684.image.jpg
Region 4C Co-Player of the Year Michael Brown (10) will lead Handley against Jefferson Forest in the Class 4 boys’ quarterfinals tonight at Shenandoah University.

Jeff Taylor/The Winchester Star
WINCHESTER — Six days after making 11 3-pointers in an 80-56 win over Millbrook in the Class 4 Northwestern District championship game, Handley went 0 for 4 from 3-point range in knocking off defending Class 4 state champion Loudoun Valley 58-51 in the Region 4C championship game on Feb. 22.

“I think that’s the first game we’ve played where we didn’t hit a single three, and we still won the game,” said Handley head coach Jason Toton after the game. “We kind of played some old-fashioned basketball.”

Handley’s ability to excel at a variety of different styles should serve it well as it continues its pursuit of the school’s first-ever state.

The Judges (23-3) take on Region 4D runner-up Jefferson Forest (17-10) in the Class 4 state quarterfinals at 7 p.m. today at Shenandoah University’s James R. Wilkins Jr. Athletics and Events Center.

Handley is making its second consecutive state tournament appearance after losing 66-65 to Jamestown in last year’s state semifinals, while Cavaliers third-year coach Cam Shepherd believes this is the first time that Jefferson Forest has ever appeared in the state tournament.

The 3-point shot has certainly served the Judges well (Handley is making 34.8 percent of its 3-pointers while attempting 16.8 3-pointers per game), but the Judges’ ability to finish around the rim and hit mid-range shots has been extremely impressive. According to Handley’s stats, the Judges are making 57.2 percent of their two-point shots this year.

To beat a team like Loudoun Valley in the Vikings’ own gym while relying almost exclusively on 2-point attempts (Handley made 53.6 of its shots inside the arc) served as a reminder that while their outside shooting is a weapon, the Judges don’t have to depend on it to be successful.

“I think we’re at our best when we’re attacking the basket and hitting pull-up shots in the paint, getting to the foul line, instead of just heaving up three after three,” said Handley junior forward D’Andre James (10.8 points per game). “You can draw defenders and pass to the open man. When you attack the basket, a lot of good things can happen.”

Handley also went away from its usual trapping defensive style against Loudoun Valley, a strategic change that helped limit the Vikings to 34 percent shooting overall (17 of 50) and 22.7 percent shooting from 3-point range (5 of 22).

Basically, Jefferson Forest is going to have its hands full, but the Cavaliers have stepped up in a big way all season. Jefferson Forest went just 5-18 last year.

The Cavaliers lost to E.C. Glass 55-47 in last week’s Region 4D championship game after beating George Washington-Danville 66-64 on the road in the semifinals to earn a state tournament berth.

“We’ve had guys who have really improved and really worked on their games,” Shepherd said. “We’ve gelled as a team, and I think it’s showed.”

The Cavaliers are led by Seminole District Player of the Year Jordan Richeson, a 6-foot-3 transfer forward from Alleghany High School in Covington. During the regular season Richeson averaged 17.8 points per game.

“He’s added a much-needed scoring punch,” Shepherd said. “He scores at all three levels. He can shoot it from range, he can score off the dribble, he plays above the rim really well.”

Jefferson Forest is also led by junior guard 6-foot-2 guard Brock Swaney (11.5 ppg), a first team All-Seminole District selection, and 6-1 junior point guard Perry Warner (9.3 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.2 assists), an honorable mention pick.

Senior 6-2 forward Brad O’Donnell (8.6 points, 4.9 rebounds, 2.0 blocks) and 5-7 senior guard Josh Oglesby (4.0 points) are the team’s only two returning starters.

Jefferson Forest also features 6-8 junior forward Trevor Robinson.

Robinson was a varsity backup who injured his foot in September and returned to play for the first time against GW-Danville. He was cleared to play five minutes in that game, but experienced some foot pain. He played eight minutes against Glass, but the pain increased and he had to have the foot placed in a boot. Shepherd said he’s not sure if he’ll play tonight.

“Trevor was still growing into his body last year,” Shepherd said. “But he’s made major strides, and this summer he was as good a player as we have in our area before he got hurt.”

Toton said he expects Jefferson Forest to go about seven or eight deep based on what he’s seen on film.

“They’ve got some good guards,” Toton said. “I think they’re going to try and slow it down a little bit. Their style of play, it doesn’t look like they’re going to run in transition. Defensively, I think they’re going to go half court man-to-man. I haven’t seen any zone or any presses.

“The key is going to be us dictating the tempo. Hopefully get out and go, maybe apply some pressure to them. Their point guards are left-handed, so we’ll try and make them go with their opposite hand. They have a lot of kids who can put the ball on the floor and shoot. We need to apply some pressure on them and keep a hand in the shooter’s face.”

Shepherd said dealing with the tempo that Handley plays at will be a challenge.

“They can push the pace and play in transition as good as any team I’ve seen this year,” Shepherd. “Our district is very competitive and very tough. We see pressure pretty much on a nightly basis, and I think we’re challenged pretty well with E.C. Glass and Heritage and those teams. I like to think we’re somewhat prepared for some pressure, but I do know that Handley is about to apply a different level of pressure.”

Handley’s offensive attack is led by senior point guard Michael Brown, the Region 4C Co-Player of the Year who leads the Judges with 14.3 points, 5.0 assists and 2.7 assists per game.

“We’ll probably have to put several different people on him,” Shepherd said. “He’s really talented.”

In addition to Brown and James, Handley’s starting lineup also features senior forward Gus Wise (11.6 points, 5.8 rebounds, 2.3 assists), junior guard Kevin Curry (10.1 points, 4.9 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 2.1 steals) and senior guard Keevon Martin (7.8 points, 2.3 assists).

Handley is averaging 72.5 points per game and allowing 50.3. Jefferson Forest is scoring 58.1 points per game and allowing 54.1.

The winner of tonight’s game will take on the winner of tonight’s quarterfinal between Loudoun Valley and E.C. Glass in the semifinals on Monday or Tuesday at a location to be determined.

— Contact Robert Niedzwiecki at rniedzwiecki@winchesterstar.com Follow on Twitter @WinStarSports1

Green's aggressive play drives Millbrook girls to state tournament
  • By ROBERT NIEDZWIECKI | The Winchester Star

Senior point guard Maddie Green (33) has led Millbrook to three consecutive Class 4 state tournament berths. The unbeaten Pioneers face William Byrd at 5 p.m. on Friday in the quarterfinals at Shenandoah University.

• Ginger Perry/The Winchester Star

http://www.winchesterstar.com/content/tncms/live/#2

Maddie Green, who will play college basketball at James Madison next year, is averaging 15.8 points and 5.3 assists per game.

WINCHESTER — To say that it took a tremendous amount of drive and determination from Erick Green and Courtni Green to achieve what they have in basketball would be an extreme understatement.

But when it comes to the manner in which the most decorated male and female players in area history play the game, their father and Millbrook girls’ basketball coach Erick Green Sr. says even those two have to take a backseat to his third child.

“Maddie has a fire in her,” said Green Sr. of his James Madison University-bound senior point guard. “She reminds me of Bobby Hurley, who used to play [point guard] for Duke [in the 1990s].

“She plays the game with a passion. She plays hard. She gets after it. She gets in the opponents’ heads. She just frustrates people. That’s her identity. She plays like a pit bull. That was one of things that James Madison [head coach Sean O’Regan] loves about her. He loves her attitude. He doesn’t want a nice point guard. He wants a mean point guard. He wants someone who doesn’t back down from people, and she doesn’t back down from people.”

The 5-foot-9’s Maddie’s aggressive play on offense and defense is just as big a reason as any that Millbrook is undefeated at 25-0 and playing in its third consecutive state tournament.

The Region 4C champion Pioneers will take on Region 4D runner-up William Byrd (20-6) in the Class 4 state quarterfinals at 5 p.m. on Friday at Shenandoah University’s James R. Wilkins Jr. Athletics and Events Center. The winner will play the Loudoun Valley-Carroll County winner on March 5 or 6 at a site to be determined.

Maddie is averaging career-highs in points (15.8) and assists (5.3, an area-best) and is continuing her two-year transformation into being a better defensive player by averaging 4.4 steals (second to teammate Erika Reed among area public school players).

Green — a first team All-Northwestern District and All-Region 4C selection — will undoubtedly earn all-state honors for the second straight year upon the season’s conclusion, continuing the family tradition of state recognition.

The 26-year-old Erick is currently playing professionally with Valencia Basket in Spain, where he’s averaging 15.9 points per game in 21 EuroLeague games. He previously played in the NBA, was an All-American at Virginia Tech, and won two state titles in high school, including one at Millbrook in 2008 when he was the state’s Group AA Player of the Year.

Courtni (a 2012 Millbrook graduate, now a deputy sheriff in Loudoun County) won three state titles and three state Player of the Year awards for the Pioneers while scoring the third most points in state history. She went on to be an all-conference player at NCAA Division I Delaware.

As Erick Green Sr. points out, those two are tough acts to follow.

But Maddie’s desire to succeed just like them ever since she started playing around age 4 is part of what makes her such an effective and passionate player.

“I started watching them play when I was really young,” Maddie said. “When they were in the gym, I was in the gym. I just picked up the ball and started loving it.”

As Maddie got older, she developed her game by playing with Erick, Courtni and their friends.

Green Sr. said when Maddie was in fifth grade, she would play with Millbrook’s varsity players during their fall workouts, something she did for two years. Around that time she would also compete with Erick and the friends that he would bring home from Virginia Tech.

These workouts helped develop the dribbling skills she needed to be an effective point guard.

“It was hard for her to score, because they were so much bigger,” said Green Sr. of the workouts with the Millbrook varsity players. “But she could penetrate and kick the ball and find the open person. That helped her a lot, being able to practice against them.”

Maddie said she took a lot from going up against players like all-state point guard Sara Mead, who went on to play at NCAA Division I basketball at Columbia University.

“That was a great experience,” Maddie said. “[Mead] pushed me, and Courtni definitely pushed me. She wanted the best out of me.”

Talking to her siblings has always made a big difference too.

“Erick taught me a lot about making moves to the basket, how to get by my defender, how to use my off hand to get by people,” Maddie said. “[Erick] teaches me to be like [Oklahoma City Thunder point guard] Russell Westbrook, and have that [fiery] Russ mentality.”

While Westbrook can fill the basket in a big way (24.8 points per game this year), he also currently leads the NBA with 10.4 assists per game.

Maddie can certainly score (she surpassed 1,000 career points as a junior), but she loves being someone who can be versatile like Westbrook.

Green said she first began playing point guard about six years ago mainly because of how well Reed (47 percent from 3-point range this year) was developing as a shooter on their Winchester Rising Stars AAU team.

“I really didn’t want to do it at first,” Maddie said. “But then I learned to love it. I liked passing other people the ball, seeing them score, seeing them happy, and at the same I was scoring, too. It made me feel good to do both.”

Maddie arrived in high school three years after Courtni, a phenomenal scorer who recorded 2,626 career points and had three seasons averaging more than 25 points per game.

Maddie said over the years, there have been people who questioned why she didn’t score like Courtni. She said she couldn’t let that faze her though.

“Courtni’s job on her teams was to score,” Maddie said. “My job here is to pass the ball and get my teammates open, and score when I have to.”

She’s done all of that extremely well. Maddie’s 561 career assists have been surpassed by only four people on the Virginia High School League’s career assist list, and she’s gotten her teammates involved to the point that Reed, Amari Anthony and Haile McDonald also have more than 1,000 career points.

Just as important as her offense is the contributions that Maddie is making on defense, which was not her forte her first two years of high school.

“[Coaches] would kind of hide me [on defense],” said Maddie with a laugh. “That was kind of my weakness.

“But with my dad being coach, that’s what he believes in strongly. When I’m not rotating or pushing up on my man, he gets on me.”

Green Sr. said he demanded more of the entire team on defense when he took over the Millbrook head coaching position for the 2016-17 season, and he’s been pleased with how Maddie has developed. Maddie averaged 3.1 steals per game her first two years, and has recorded 4.5 per game the last two years.

“I think her big improvement is learning how to cover the floor,” Green Sr. said.

Green Sr. said her strides on defense have truly helped her with the Fairfax Stars, the AAU team she’s been with since eighth grade. Playing in elite tournaments all over the country, her experiences there are more indicative of the competition she’ll face next year when she’s at James Madison.

Green said early in her Fairfax career, she usually didn’t defend the opposing point guard, but when Millbrook’s season ended last year she started doing that because of her improvement on defense.

Maddie’s made her own mark as a great player, and Reed said she’s also been a great friend and teammate.

“Maddie is one of the best people I know,” Reed said. “I’m grateful to have grown up with her. She’s a great basketball player, and off the court she’s even better.”

All three Green siblings who have played at Millbrook were all-state players, and all three scored 1,000 career points before their junior years were finished.

Now, Green hopes the time has come for her to join her older siblings as state champions.

Maddie says she doesn’t remember much about the Millbrook boys’ 2008 state championship victory at Virginia Commonwealth University’s Siegel Center in Richmond, only that she hugged Erick after she watched him run in the tunnel after the game.

Maddie says Courtni’s three state title wins are pretty vivid, though. If the Pioneers do win it all this year, they will do so with an undefeated record, just like those teams did.

“I want to have a banner up, just like them,” Maddie said. “I remember Courtni’s state championship games, and she said those were the best times of her life. I can’t wait to get to VCU [for the state championship game] and experience that. That’s really driven me.”

Reed’s been playing with Maddie since they were in fourth grade, and she knows that Maddie is going to give everything she has to try and help Millbrook get the job done.

“Her leadership, and her aggressiveness,” said Reed when asked what she most admires about Green’s play. “She plays hard every time. She always brings her best.”

— Contact Robert Niedzwiecki at rniedzwiecki@winchesterstar.com Follow on Twitter @WinStarSports1

Millbrook 73-57 over William Bryd.

The Millbrook girls game was the best game to watch for basically 2 3/4 qtrs ... it was a lot closer early than more thought it would be. William Bryd girls competed well but Millbrook's depth overcame the Terriers.

The Handley game vs. Jefferson Forest was really never in question from the start as it was theJudges ... 57-41 final.

Someone said it was approx 2,700 fans inside SU's new athletic/events centers.

Very nice venue but it was said that you would go broke when you visited the University's concessions. They said hot-dog going for $5 bucks ... $5 for popcorn and $6 for nacho cheese and chips. That's professional sports prices ... WOW

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Millbrook girls pull away from William Byrd in Class 4 quarterfinals
  • By JERRY HOLSWORTH SPECIAL TO THE WINCHESTER STAR | The Winchester Star

Millbrook’s Maddie Green slices between William Byrd’s Briona Hurt (32) and Hannah Sowers (33) during their Class 4 girls’ quarterfinal game Friday. Green had 25 points in the Pioneers’ 73-57 win.

• Jeff Taylor/The Winchester Star

Millbrook’s Amari Anthony shoots past William Byrd defender Jada Karnes (12) during Friday’s Class 4 quarterfinal game. Anthony had 18 points and 12 rebounds in the Pioneers’ 73-57 win.

WINCHESTER — Just like last season, the Millbrook girls’ basketball team is now a win from playing for a Class 4 title.

After a slow start, the unbeaten Pioneers took control of their quarterfinal matchup with William Byrd, pulling away to a 73-57 victory Friday at Shenandoah University’s James R. Wilkins Jr. Athletics and Events Center.

The Pioneers (26-0) will meet the winner of tonight’s game between Carroll County (25-3) and Loudoun Valley (20-5) next week. If Region 4D champion Carroll County wins, Millbrook will be on the road Tuesday at a neutral site selected by the Cavaliers. If Loudoun Valley wins, the semifinal contest will be played Monday at a site selected by the Pioneers.

Millbrook trailed by as many as six points early to William Byrd (20-7), but outscored the Terriers 39-27 over the final two quarters.

“This was a big playoff game and you have to give Byrd credit,” Millbrook coach Erick Green said. “They came out with a good game plan and really took it to us early. The girls really recovered well, though. This is the kind of game you expect when you get to this point in the playoffs.”

William Byrd took it to the Pioneers from the opening tap. Briona Hurt had four points and Jacy Marvin nailed a 3-pointer in a 9-3 run to open the game.

Millbrook behind five points each from Amari Anthony and Maddie Green rebounded and squared the score at 15-15 at the end of the first quarter on a basket by Ali Hauck.

The contest see-sawed before Marvin’s third 3-pointer of the game gave the Terriers a 24-21 lead with about five minutes left in the half.

Unable to take advantage of eight turnovers in the first quarter, Millbrook made good on six in the second quarter, including a pair during a 9-0 run.

Hauck got things started with a putback with 4:34 left in the quarter. Green followed with a pair of steals that she turned into layups to make it 27-24. A 3-pointer by Anthony with 3:26 left capped the run for a 30-24 lead.

The Pioneers led 34-30 at the half.

“It was a really fast-paced game,” Maddie Green said. “It was a really big court and we thought we were ready for it but it took a while to get used to it. We started a little slow but we finished strong.”

Key in the second period was Hauck’s defense on Hurt. After Hurt scored eight points in the opening quarter, Hauck limited her to one basket in the second.

“I knew that if I was going to stop Hurt I had to get physical,” said Hauck, who had nine rebounds and five steals in the contest. “At the beginning, I really didn’t take her very seriously. I did my job tonight of getting rebounds and putting the ball back up after an offensive rebound. We had to work hard as a team to get this win, and we had to keep our heads up when things weren’t going our way. It was a great team win.”

Marvin picked up some of the scoring slack for the Terriers by nailing three 3-pointers in the period. She finished the half 4 of 5 from behind the arc.

Another area where the Terriers were successful came in neutralizing the outside shot of Millbrook’s Erika Reed. The Pioneer senior was hounded by the Byrd defense all night and was only able to get off two 3-point attempts, missing both.

While Reed got all of the attention, the Terriers left open Green and Lexi Kier and the two did some damage from outside. Green finished with three 3-pointers and Kier had two more.

The Terriers cleaned up some of their turnover problems and would not go away early in the third quarter. They sliced the Millbrook lead to one point on three separate occasions, the final time on a bucket in the paint from Hurt that made it 43-42 midway through the quarter.

But once again, Millbrook went on another 9-0 run. Green’s 3-pointer capped it, pushing the Pioneers’ lead to 52-42.

The Terriers got within 52-46 on a 3-pointer by Sydney Burton, but Kier drilled a 3-pointer for Millbrook ahead of the buzzer to make it 55-46 heading into the final period.

That fourth quarter was all Millbrook. The Pioneers scored the first four points to push the lead to 13 points. The Terriers were able to climb within eight points twice, the final time (62-54) on two free throws from Hurt with just under five minutes remaining.

But from there, the Pioneers poured it on the tiring Terriers. Green and Anthony led the charge with four points each as the Pioneers netted 11 straight points to push the margin to 73-54 with just under a minute left.

Green also excelled on defense against Marvin, whose only basket in the second half came on a 3-pointer with 20 seconds left.

“Marvin was a really good shooter and I kept my hands up and took advantage of my height,” Maddie Green said. “I felt that the game was just too close and that I needed to step up my play.”

Green scored 16 of her 25 points in the second half.

“I really don’t think they expected Maddie to be that kind of a threat offensively,” Erick Green said. “Usually point guards don’t that. But Maddie has the ability to do both.”

Anthony netted 18 points and grabbed 12 rebounds. Hauck had 13 points and Kier added nine.

Hurt led the Terriers with 20 points. Marvin had 15 points, all on 3-pointers. Megan Grant added 11.

“To say that Millbrook is a good team is an understatement,” William Byrd coach Brad Greenway said. “They are an extremely talented team. We played our best, and at times we played with them well. We had a good plan and I thought our girls executed as well as it could be. Millbrook is just so talented.”

“I thought that we played about as well as we could play today,” Marvin added “Millbrook has a great team. This was the last game of my career so its very disappointing, but I’m really proud of the way we played.”

Handley boys return to Class 4 semifinals with win over Jefferson Forest

Handley’s D’Andre James leaves three Jefferson Forest defenders in his wake as he drives to the basket in the first half of their Class 4 boys’ quarterfinal game Friday at Shenandoah University’s James R. Wilkins Athletics and Events Center. James had 12 points in the Judges’ 57-41 win.

Handley’s Gus Wise (30) shoots over Jefferson Forest’s Brock Swaney during the Judges’ 57-41 win in the Class 4 boys’ quarterfinals.

WINCHESTER — In explaining his reasoning for starting Friday’s Class 4 state quarterfinal game in a 2-3 zone, Jefferson Forest coach Cam Shepherd said, “We were just trying to slow those guys down as best we could.”

The Cavaliers did it well enough for a quarter, but the Judges’ speed and aggressiveness proved to be too much.

Handley outscored Jefferson Forest 16-6 over the last nine minutes of the first half to take a 27-16 halftime lead, and the Judges went on to defeat the Cavaliers 57-41 before an overflow crowd of 2,624 at the James R. Wilkins Jr. Athletics and Events Center on Friday night.

Handley (24-3) — which had four players score between eight and 12 points, with D’Andre James putting up the 12 — led by at least 10 points for the last 15 minutes and 18 seconds on Friday.

The Judges will now play the winner of Saturday’s quarterfinal game between Loudoun Valley and E.C. Glass on Tuesday in the state semifinals.

If Loudoun Valley wins, the game will be at SU, which would no doubt please the fans who came out in droves Friday night. The Wilkins Center has bleacher seating for 1,600, but SU set up chairs behind one of the baskets, and allowed people to stand behind both baskets on Friday.

If E.C. Glass wins, the game will be at Lynchburg College.

The start time will be 7 p.m. no matter the location.

Handley took a 10-0 lead after just four minutes, but Jefferson Forest cut its deficit to 11-10 with 1:18 left in the first quarter on a 3-pointer by Jordan Richeson (eight points, 11 rebounds) from 10 feet beyond the arc.

“[The Cavaliers] started settling down and hitting some shots, but I think we did some things defensively to keep them off balance,” Handley coach Jason Toton said.

Whether the Judges were trapping or settling into their regular man defense, they caused the Cavaliers (17-11) fits in taking over the rest of the game.

Handley’s pressure defense resulted in 11 Jefferson Forest turnovers in the first half, a stretch in which the Cavaliers only made only 6 of 15 shots.

For the game, Jefferson Forest made only 16 of 42 shots, and Handley held the Cavaliers to five offensive rebounds while outrebounding them 35-24.

“I thought we did a good job of limiting them to one shot and done,” Toton said.

And the Judges’ ability to run the floor in transition and hit from the inside and outside in the second quarter eventually forced the Cavaliers to turn to their man defense for the last few minutes of the first half.

A steal and slam dunk by Handley’s Michael Brown (nine points) with 47 seconds left in the first quarter made it 13-10, then Keevon Martin (eight points, eight rebounds) hit a 3-pointer 35 seconds into the second quarter to make it 16-10.

Handley extended its lead to 23-13 with 3:28 left in the second quarter by scoring six points in the paint as a result of its passing and dribble penetration and hitting one free throw. James had two baskets on assists from Brown, and Colin Smith had a jumper in the lane after a driving from the right wing prior to those James buckets.

Jefferson Forest settled into its man defense after that, but the Judges then scored four points in the last 25 seconds of the first half as a result of its transition play to take a 27-16 lead at the break.

A Sam Wise long rebound off a Cavaliers’ missed 3-pointer led to Ra’Shaad Morris getting fouled on the fast break and making two free throws with 24.2 seconds left. Wise then fed Morris for a fastbreak layup with four seconds left after catching a deflection for a steal.

“We just had to get back to playing our style, running the floor, and closing out on the shooters,” said Brown, who also credited his teammates play in the paint, outside shooting and rebounding for playing a big role in the 16-6 run that eventually forced the Cavaliers into man defense for the rest of the game.

Handley continued to build its lead from there, taking a 43-29 advantage into the fourth quarter before finishing with the 16-point win.

“We had good momentum going into halftime,” Toton said. “Once they started playing man, we started to get the ball inside a little bit more. And in the second half we pushed the ball a little bit more. We got out in transition and got some easy shots.”

“Their transition play was fantastic,” Shepherd said. “They’re great on the offensive boards. They’re as athletic a team as I’ve coached against. They’re hard to stop.”

Toton mentioned a lot of different players for their performances on Friday, but the first person he singled out was Martin, who knocked down two three-pointers against Jefferson Forest’s zone in the first half, then grabbed seven of his eight rebounds in the second half to help keep the Cavaliers at bay.

“I thought he played a hell of a game,” Toton said. “He was a big factor in hitting some shots early, and he played some good defense.”

“I just came out and tried to provide some energy,” Martin said. “Hitting those shots early gave me some confidence.”

Martin said playing in front of such a large crowd gave him plenty to be energetic about.

“I’ve never played in front of that many people,” Martin said. “It’s the biggest atmosphere I’ve ever been a part of. It was exciting.”

Toton said it meant a lot to play in front of such a large crowd.

“It was a great atmosphere, and I hope we get to do it again,” Toton said. “It was good for the community. SU did a great job of hosting it.”

Gus Wise had eight points for the Judges.

Brock Swaney led Jefferson Forest with 12 points, and Austin Stevens had nine points on three 3-pointers. Trevor Robinson did not play because of the foot pain he experienced during limited action in two regional tournament games.

Does anyone know if there is gonna be any extra seating bought in for Tuesday night's game at SU's new athletics and events center?

I will say this, I sure hope they fix the concessions at SU. It was terribly long line and wait plus expensive prices, good gracious, what is those prices all about! Glad I had extra cash or my kids would of been very upset with me.

$6 bucks for nacho cheese & chips; $5 hotdog; $5 popcorn; $4 soda; $2 water and $2 candy

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Handley boys to play Loudoun Valley at SU in state semifinals Tuesday

WINCHESTER — The Handley boys’ basketball team will play its Class 4 state semifinal game on Tuesday at Shenandoah University’s James R. Wilkins Jr. Athletics and Events Center as a result of Loudoun Valley’s 69-47 quarterfinal win over E.C. Glass on Saturday at Lynchburg College.

The game between Handley (24-3) and Loudoun Valley (25-2) will begin at 7 p.m. The doors will open at 5:30 p.m.

Tickets are $10. A maximum of 500 pre-sale tickets will be sold by both schools. Pre-sale tickets for Handley students will be sold on Monday during lunch periods. Pre-sale tickets for community members will be sold from 3:45-5 p.m. Monday in the Maddex/Omps Gymnasium lobby. Community members should not arrive before 3:45 p.m. due to school being in session and buses leaving.

Accepted passes for the game are VHSL, VHSCA, VSBA and VIAAA.

It will be the third meeting between the two teams this season. The Judges — who defeated Jefferson Forest 57-41 in Friday’s quarterfinals at the Wilkins Center — lost to Loudoun Valley 78-68 at Loudoun Valley on Jan. 6 but defeated the Vikings 58-51 in the Region 4C championship game on Feb. 23, also in Purcellville. Loudoun Valley is the defending Class 4 state champion.

The winner of Tuesday’s game will play in the Class 4 state championship game on Saturday at Virginia Commonwealth University’s Siegel Center in Richmond. The other Class 4 semifinal between Lake Taylor and Huguenot will take place at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Arthur Ashe Center in Richmond.

Millbrook girls to play for Class 4 state championship
  • By WALT MOODY THE WINCHESTER STAR | The Winchester Star

Millbrook’s Maddie Green slices through the Loudoun Valley defense in the second half of the Class 4 state semifinal game at James Wood High School on Monday night. With Green scoring a game-high 27 points, Millbrook won 76-64 to advance to Saturday’s state championship game in Richmond.

Millbrook’s Ali Hauck shoots past Loudoun Valley’s Celine Fink in the first half of the Class 4 state semifinal game Friday night at James Wood High School. Hauck contributed 10 points and 15 rebounds to Millbrook’s 76-64 victory.

WINCHESTER — One would think Maddie Green might have been a little more exuberant after reaching a life-long goal.

Oh, the Millbrook senior point guard was very happy to make her first state championship basketball game —she just needed a few minutes Monday to catch her breath.

Green was beaming a few minutes after the final buzzer, as were the rest of the Pioneers.

Green scored 27 points and Erika Reed added 22 as unbeaten Millbrook clinched its first state title berth since 2012 with a 76-64 victory over Loudoun Valley in the Class 4 semifinals on Monday at James Wood High School’s Donald H. Shirley Gymnasium.

The Pioneers (27-0) await the winner of tonight’s clash between Lake Taylor (22-4) and King’s Fork (22-3) in Saturday’s Class 4 title game at 4:30 p.m. at Virginia Commonwealth University’s Siegel Center in Richmond.

The Pioneers expended just about every amount of energy they had Monday to get there. Reed never left the floor and Green played all but seven seconds as Millbrook led from start to finish.

“I told them I needed 32 minutes from them tonight,” Millbrook coach Erick Green Sr. said. “They gave me 32 minutes and I appreciate all of their effort. ... It was a team effort and they did a great job.”

“It was fast-paced, playing defense, offense and attacking,” Maddie Green said of the contest. “It kind of wore me down, but when my team needed me I needed to step up and do something.”

Green took control in the third quarter, when Loudoun Valley (22-5) was trying to get back into the contest after having trailed 33-21 at halftime.

The Vikings closed to within 37-29 with five minutes to go in the third quarter on a layup by Jordan Campbell.

But Green and her teammates quickly squelched any hopes of the Vikings getting closer with a 9-2 run. Green started the outburst with one of her patented drives to the basket. She then passed to Ali Hauck for a layup. After Amari Anthony’s inside bucket, Green drilled her third 3-pointer of the game as the lead ballooned back to 46-31.

Loudoun Valley would never get it to single digits again.

Green continued to dominate, finishing with 13 points in the quarter as Millbrook led 56-41 against the scrappy Vikings with eight minutes to go.

“Green was the difference,” Loudoun Valley coach Kenyamo McFarlane said. “She just attacked, attacked and kept attacking. And then when she didn’t get there, she made a difference in dishing and getting her hands on tips for steals.”

McFarlane’s team has held all of its other opponents below 60 points this season, but has given up 76 twice to the Pioneers in their two postseason meetings. With sharpshooter Reed, the inside presence of Anthony (11 points Monday) and Green’s slashing ability, Millbrook’s balance has proven too much for nearly every defense.

“They’ve got three legitimate big-time scorers from both inside and outside,” McFarlane said. “We knew that we were going to have to be on our A-game defensively. There were times during the game where we did get some stops and forced them to get some turnovers and there were some times we didn’t. In the third quarter, Green made her run just attacking downhill. With two other solid scorers out there, it’s hard to help off her because she’ll dish it. We wanted to keep her at bay, but she pretty much took over that third quarter.”

Green didn’t stop there. She found a wide-open Reed, who drilled her third 3-pointer of the game. And after a basket by Anthony, the margin quickly grew to 61-41. It would get as high as 68-45 with 41/2 minutes left on Emme Crosen’s 3-pointer from the left wing.

Though catching up was out of the question, Loudoun Valley didn’t go down easy. A 10-2 run closed the margin to 70-55 and had the Pioneers gassed.

“We got it up to 20. The girls were tired and the gym was hot,” Erick Green said. “With four minutes to go in the game, they were looking at me like, ‘Hey Coach, let’s put the subs in.’”

The starters finished it out and were mobbed by teammates after surviving.

Reed said it was nice to play in familiar surroundings with good memories. The Pioneers won 89-39 at Shirley Gym earlier this season.

“That definitely plays a factor in it,” said Reed, who was 7 of 14 from the floor. “We all have played well in it and playing in a gym that’s familiar is definitely an advantage for us.”

Millbrook wasted no time getting ahead and staying there. The Pioneers, fueled by 3-pointers from Green and Reed, jumped to a 10-2 lead and led by at least five points for the rest of the game. Loudoun Valley’s Haley Pasqualone tried to keep it close, scoring all of her team’s points as the Vikings trailed 18-11 after one quarter.

Even with Anthony in foul trouble, the Pioneers were able to extend the margin. Green scored the final five points in the second quarter to make the score 33-21 at halftime.

On big reason the Pioneers were able to hold their margin was the play of forward Hauck. The sophomore had eight points and 12 of her game-high 15 rebounds in the half.

“Ali Hauck is just so consistent,” Green said. “You know she’s going to give you double figures in boards and she may get you double figures in points. But, you’re going to get 100 percent effort. Even when she makes a mistake, she makes a mistake giving it effort. If you want to have a good team, you need a player that’s going to do everything for you and she does.”

Green said he was pleased with all of his players, getting lifts from reserves throughout the contest.

He wasn’t totally pleased, however.

“We gave up too many points tonight,” Erick Green said. “I’m not really pleased with the defensive effort because we gave up 60 points. That’s not our norm. [The Vikings] made a lot of mid-range shots and made their free throws.”

Pasqualone led Loudoun Valley with 21 points. Lee Volker added 15 and Celine Fink, one of only two seniors on the team, notched 10.

“The fact that they were sucking wind, I hope they know, ‘Hey, we’re not going anywhere. We’ll be back here next year,’” McFarlane said. “They lose a lot, but they’re a good program and they’ll be able to reload somehow, someway. I’d like to see them again.”

He won’t see Green, Reed, Anthony or injured standout Haile McDonald, the Pioneers’ four seniors who have taking one step closer each year to Richmond for a state title.

“This is a life-long goal for us,” Reed said. “We’ve been on this journey for four years. ... Right now we are playing great team basketball and we are ready for Richmond.”

“It doesn’t seem real, yet,” Maddie Green added. “I think it’s going to take getting to VCU, having those lights turned off and calling our names and getting on that court for it to actually feel real.”

— Contact Walt Moody at wmoody@winchesterstar.com Follow on Twitter @WinStarSports1

Handley, Loudoun Valley to clash again in Class 4 boys' semifinals

5a9e2783bd2a5.image.jpg

Handley boys’ basketball head coach Jason Toton talks with his team during a timeout in their Class 4 quarterfinal game against Jefferson Forest on Friday at the James R. Wilkins Jr. Athletics and Events Center at Shenandoah University. Handley returns to the Wilkins Center tonight to take on Loudoun Valley in the state semifinals.

Jeff Taylor/The Winchester Star

WINCHESTER — Handley boys’ basketball coach Jason Toton had plenty to be concerned about early in the day on Feb. 22, but the reasons had nothing to do with traveling to Purcellville that night to take on defending Class 4 state champion Loudoun Valley in the Region 4C championship game.

Valuable reserve Sam Wise had the flu.

Senior point guard Michael Brown, the Region 4C co-Player of the Year, and senior forward Ra’Shaad Morris, Handley’s leader in minutes off the bench, were also feeling sick.

Junior forward D’Andre James, the team’s third-leading scorer, was having X-rays because Handley was concerned he might have broken his thumb two nights prior in Handley’s Region 4C semifinal win against Woodgrove.

“I had three of them sick that morning, and I didn’t know if all three of them were going to play,” said Toton in a phone interview on Sunday evening. “We didn’t know what the situation with D’Andre was that morning either.”

Sam Wise was unable to attend the game, but the rest of them did, and all the Judges who played looked like like they could move mountains and leap tall buildings. When the night was over, Handley had dealt Loudoun Valley just its second defeat of the year and its first home loss since 2014.

The Judges won by the score of 58-51, making them just the second team to hold the Vikings (78 points per game average) under 65 points this year.

“The kids did a good job of adjusting to what was thrown at them and dealt with a little bit of adversity, and moved on,” said Toton, who has three seniors in Brown, forward Gus Wise and guard Keevon Martin who had gone 0-4 in their careers against the Vikings prior to the region title game. “Hopefully [the win] got the monkey off their back in the sense of knowing that if we can continue to play like we’re supposed to, we can play with anybody in the state.”

At 7 p.m. tonight, Handley (24-3) and Loudoun Valley (25-2) will meet in their highest-stakes game yet when they face off in the Class 4 state semifinals at Shenandoah University’s James R. Wilkins Jr. Athletics and Events Center. It’s their third meeting of the season — Loudoun Valley won 78-68 in Purcellville on Jan. 6.

Tonight’s winner will move on to Saturday’s 6:30 p.m. Class 4 state championship game at the Virginia Commonwealth University Siegel Center in Richmond. The other Class 4 semifinal between Lake Taylor and Huguenot takes place at 6 p.m. tonight at the Arthur Ashe Center in Richmond.

Handley — which defeated Region 4D runner-up Jefferson Forest 57-41 on Friday at the Wilkins Center — will attempt to reach its first state championship game since 2014 tonight. The Judges lost to Jamestown 66-65 in last year’s state semifinals, missing two shots in the final seconds that could have won the game.

The Vikings are outscoring opponents by an average of 24 points per game (they’re allowing 54).

Four of Loudoun Valley’s five starters average double figures in points — Region 4C co-Player of the Year and George Mason University signee Jordan Miller (17.8 ppg), a 6-foot-4 forward; 6-0 senior guard Jalen Williams (12.7 ppg, first team all-region); 6-2 senior guard Mark Melbourne (12.6, second team all-region), who scored 26 points in the first game against the Judges; and 6-0 senior guard Dominic Peterson (10.6, first team all-region). The fifth starter and coach Chad Dawson’s son, 6-0 sophomore guard Trent Dawson (second team All-Dulles District), averages 7.7 points per game.

While Handley’s win over Loudoun Valley — which advanced to tonight’s game with a 69-47 quarterfinal win over Region 4D champion E.C. Glass on Saturday at Lynchburg — on Feb. 22 was a strong effort, Toton said the performance was by no means a perfect one.

Handley was able to finish around the basket at a high rate thanks to its dribble penetration and rebounding (the Judges made 22 of 41 2-point field goals and had a 35-24 rebounding advantage), but Toton felt the Judges left some missed opportunities on the floor.

“I don’t think offensively, we did a very good job sometimes of attacking some of their defensive sets,” Toton said.

Defensively, Handley largely abandoned its trap defense in the region win against Loudoun Valley. But Toton said a Judges’ defense averaging 10.7 steals per game might need to show more of that in the rematch.

“We might apply some more full-court pressure,” Toton said.

Defensive variety could be key in a game that probably figures to see better outside shooting than in the last matchup between these teams. Handley went 0 for 4 from 3-point range while Loudoun Valley went 5 for 22. The Vikings made 18 3-pointers in a regional semifinal win against Millbrook, and knocked down 10 of 14 3-pointers in its regular season win against Handley.

“Normally they thrive off of making 3’s, and I don’t think they shot the ball that well the last time,” Toton said. “I don’t know if it was us having a hand in their face, or they were just having an off night.

“We’re going to come into the game knowing that they can shoot it. Hopefully the ball just bounces a little bit more our way like it did the other night against them.”

Handley’s starting lineup features Brown (14.3 points, 5.0 assists, 2.7 assists per game), Gus Wise (11.6 points, 5.8 rebounds, 2.3 assists), junior guard Kevin Curry (10.1 points, 4.9 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 2.1 steals), senior forward D’Andre James (10.8 points) and Martin (7.8 points, 2.3 assists).

Toton said he hopes the experience of playing at SU’s brand-new Wilkins Center on Friday proves to be beneficial in terms of comfort level.

“I think it’s going to be a great tournament atmosphere again,” Toton said. “Hopefully that helps us out on our end of converting and making shots, and we go from there.”

Ticket information

The doors will open at 5:30 p.m. Tonight’s attendance is being capped at 2,250 people, a total that accounts for 250 people involved with each team and operations personnel. As of Monday night, it was not known how many tickets, if any, would be available for purchase. Tickets are $10, and the accepted passes are accepted passes for the game are VHSL, VHSCA, VSBA and VIAAA.

There were 2,624 in attendance for the Friday doubleheader (Millbrook-William Byrd girls in the opener, Handley-Jefferson Forest boys in the second game) but not all of those people stayed around to watch the Handley-Jefferson Forest game.

My sources have informed me that Loudoun Valley's Aaron Miller was not at 100% during that Reg'l championship game at Loudoun Valley and it showed on the floor that he was not 100%.

Look for a much improved Aaron Miller when you compare him to the last meeting!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT