ADVERTISEMENT

Galax at Honaker

MT FAN 91

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 19, 2013
Thoughts on this game? Galax defense will have to be on point to slow this bunch down and from my understanding Honaker may have their hands full trying to control the running game of Galax. Galax needs to control the clock and keep Honakers offense off the field as much as possible and hopefully wear Honkers defense down. Should be a good one and I think if Galax plays like they have the last couple of weeks they can pull the upset.

At this point I favor Galax; they've been in this situation so many times recently they know how to handle it. Also, Galax has faced much better competition to this point those 4 loses to to really good football teams (Radford, Glenvar, Graham, and Grayson (pretty good I guess). Lastly, I like teams who can run the ball and Galax runs it well. I think itll be close but the ground and pound style will in the end push Galax to Salem. Im saying 42-28.

Physical line play by Galax should break Honaker in the second half. Gotta play keep away early with long points scoring drives. I am pretty sure a lot of them play both ways so tiring them out while they play defense endlessly is the game plan.

For Honaker, getting your D off the field in 3-7 plays will be key. Execute downfield to loosen up the Galax D while on O and just do what you do.

Good luck to both as it should be a whale of a game. If i was a betting man, I would go with a mild upset of Galax by 2 scores, 42-28

Reactions: MT FAN 91
I favor a power run game and a strong defense at this stage over a pass happy team with an average at best defense. Galax has the big 215 LB back who will pound and pound and by the 4th quarter will have worn out the Tiger defense. Honaker obviously has talent with Musick, Bandy, Boyd and others, but I'm not sure they've met a team as physical as Galax. Galax 40 Honaker 21

Does anyone know the history of these 2 schools since '99? Tried to find it on VHSL reference, but its not working. Thanks guys!

They have played three times and galax leads the series 2-1. Galax won the last meeting in 16.

Last edited:
Guys if the total is in the 60s, you still favor Galax? I figure that kinda game favors Honaker big time. Even if Galax hits a couple big plays, that gives Honaker the opportunity to see the ball. Weather could be a huge factor tho, Honaker wants to clear and dry.

Good luck to both teams today. I wanted to ride out for this game, but my back told me, “you think you hurt now? Make me ride in your truck for 5 1/2 hours and I’ll show you what real pain is!”

Listened to a interview with the Honaker coach, he said he really likes the matchup and feels good about it. The guy doing the interview said Galax snuck into this game and the coach agreed and said he felt GW was the better team.

Last edited:
Listened to a interview with the Honaker coach, he said he really likes the matchup and feels good about it. The guy doing the interview said Galax snuck into this game and the coach agreed and said he felt GW was the better team.
Galax beat GW twice. So that logic doesn't make sense.

If memory serves, Tiller said something similar during the 2016 season when coaching Fort Chiswell. FC beat Galax 31-20 during the regular season. They faced off again in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Tiller made his comments the week Galax won the rematch 41-0.

Honaker turnovers did them in. Credit Galax, playing their best ball when it counts.

When is the last time someone reached a state final playing on the road throughout the playoffs?

Quite an accomplishment for Galax. Haven’t played at home since November 27.

Reactions: Optimal62
@MMQP 6.0 😂, I see what you did there. Let the hate build within young Skywalker……..
There is no hate there. Congrats to Riverheads as well. I'd like to see you personally spend as much time scrutinizing the admin at Riverheads that were crying to stay in D1 as you do scrutinizing what I say.

I've made it clear for years what I think the divisions should look like and I've always given congratulations, and defended Riverheads to other D2 fans on here and on the other site.

When is the last time someone reached a state final playing on the road throughout the playoffs?

Quite an accomplishment for Galax. Haven’t played at home since November 27.
Weren't they a 4 seed when they won it all in 2015? I know they were 6-4 in the regular season.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this a trend with coaches down in deep southwest Va?

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Congratulations to Riverheads...go get another ring
They will. And I think Galax has a very good shot in D1 also. We're going to have a chance to see if Essex's coach has done what needs to be done.... otherwise I think Galax wins.

Honaker (region D in general) doesn't play anyone. When the guys from the eastern part of the state do top 10s, consider this. Galax, George Wythe and possibly Grayson would have all beat Honaker. Any team that let's Narrows score 50 points on you isn't THAT good.

I think a lot of people knew this but kept it to themselves.

Honaker (region D in general) doesn't play anyone. When the guys from the eastern part of the state do top 10s, consider this. Galax, George Wythe and possibly Grayson would have all beat Honaker. Any team that let's Narrows score 50 points on you isn't THAT good.

I think a lot of people knew this but kept it to themselves.
Today's game definitely didn't surprise me. I said it to someone recently, but Honaker is the SWVA version of Northumberland, only slower. Neither team can play a lick of defense against a good team. The Air Raid offense is fun to watch, but come playoff time, give me the team that has the power run game and defense

Reactions: MMQP 6.0
Today's game definitely didn't surprise me. I said it to someone recently, but Honaker is the SWVA version of Northumberland, only slower. Neither team can play a lick of defense against a good team. The Air Raid offense is fun to watch, but come playoff time, give me the team that has the power run game and defense

That seems to be an issue with most of the 1A schools down in that part of the state. Which is surprising considering historically the programs down that way were more apt to grind you up than to throw the ball. Seems like certain schools in that area, Honaker being one of them, are more concerned about making their uniforms stand out like sore thumbs as well.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
That seems to be an issue with most of the 1A schools down in that part of the state. Which is surprising considering historically the programs down that way were more apt to grind you up than to throw the ball. Seems like certain schools in that area, Honaker being one of them, are more concerned about making their uniforms stand out like sore thumbs as well.
Honaker reminded me a lot of the Haysi team that played Essex in 2014 or 15. Very pass happy, but Essex just ran it down their throats. Ironically the current Honaker coach was a Haysi grad, according to the Bristol Herald Courier this week

They definitely aren't like the Powell Valley and Appalachias that came through when I was in high school in the mid 90s.

Honaker reminded me a lot of the Haysi team that played Essex in 2014 or 15. Very pass happy, but Essex just ran it down their throats. Ironically the current Honaker coach was a Haysi grad, according to the Bristol Herald Courier this week
Yea I believe it was Honaker in 2014 who were giving Altavista all they could handle running the ball down their throats... but inexplicably they'd start throwing the ball I guess because the play sheet said they "had to"??? They ended throwing something like 7 interceptions in that game, but had a massive oline built for running the ball. I'm not surprised Haysi did the same.

Most 1A and 2A schools can’t run that pistol spread option stuff but they try. Hell Stone Bridge at 4A runs double wing/t and are successful. I don’t understand why more teams don’t run smashmouth football.

Most 1A and 2A schools can’t run that pistol spread option stuff but they try. Hell Stone Bridge at 4A runs double wing/t and are successful. I don’t understand why more teams don’t run smashmouth football.
One of the most disturbing things I've ever forced myself to watch was going to see Rappahannock County try to run a 5 wide spread .. I felt like trying to claim it as a deduction on my taxes at year end 😂

A couple years later they were running the wishbone and voila, won 6 games that year.. then they went back to 5 wide amongst many other types of "flashy" offenses and now they're playing 8 man lol.

I grew up playing in the double wing and single wing and coach the single wing, so to me, "pass" is a bad word 🤣.

I grew up playing in the double wing and single wing and coach the single wing, so to me, "pass" is a bad word 🤣.
Wasn't that what New Kent was running back during those days? I believe they were D2 back then IIRC. Or maybe I'm getting it mixed up and Liberty was running the double wing the year they beat New Kent for a title in the early 2000's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT